Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When SHTF Master List

I wouldn't even think about vehicles and hauling supplies for more that one reason. Too hard to hide and too hard to maintain when it really hits. The very BEST thing you can do is take a hardcore survival course. I did, spent 10 days with an expert and we simply walked into the woods with just what was in our pockets. All food, shelter, ect was found in the wilderness. I also didn't see ham radio in the list. Get licensed so you can get a good radio NOW that can be used to communicate worldwide. Don't think the radios for HF are big mosters. There are units out there that are about as small as transister radio that will pick up just about every broadcast and have batteries that are easily transportable. A wire antenna that can be strung and you have worldwirde comms. In addition, I've modified mine to not only receive government freqs, I can also transmit on them too if needed. Yes, it is legal to modify but if you transmit in any other than an absolute emergency, you're gonna get hammered by the FCC. Of course, after a disaster, it won't matter anyway.

Thumbs up Good List.

Good General/starting list. Great ideas. Just suit it to your needs......
    Never Down and Out.........
    Always Ready..................

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Great job!!! Remember you can do a lot of preps for $5 or less. For example:
    2 12 packs of ramen noodles $ 4.75
    3 boxes ( 5 envelopes) of lipton cup o soup) $ 4.50
    1 of the camping multi spice jars from walmart camping dept. $ 4.95
    1 mountian house dehyd bacon/eggs meal $4.99

These are just a start there are several hundred preps you can do for minimum $$. Here is a good site to check out. www.beprepared.com
    Just don't get discouraged. I have seen several people start out full steam and as time passes ( a few months) they lose interest in it as the novelty wears off or they don't see the progress they think they should. They want to just quit. Luckily most of them I have been able to talk into continueing to prep. I have been doing it for years. I still don't have the level of preparedness that I want to be at. I have between home/BOV/ trailer. aprox. 5 months of supplies currently. Thats food, medical supplies. I have about 1,000 gallons of fuels after recent purchase. That's kerosene,gas, diesel. However if I have to BO i'll have to leave most of the fuel except for gasoline behind and only able currently carry outside of vehicle tank(s) an extra 100 gallons of gas. I am pretty good on weapons ( 4 handguns, 5 long guns) and about 40k rounds of ammo. It still isn't enough after 10 years.

So keep on prepping it WILL add up. If I can help any way just ask.
    I second that. I don't make much money, but hit the Dollar Tree occasionally for small things. $20 and I've got several things that I need. When we grocery shop, I pick up a few extra cans of food and all cans get a date written on the top so I know when we bought it. I spend maybe an extra $10 each trip, and it amounts to 10 meals. A can of ravioli can do a lot when you don't have anything. A can of soup is a good meal. We all know that you live by the 3s...3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. Most of the food we eat is filler, anyway, with little nutritional value. Even a 79 cent can of Beefaroni from Aldi can fill up your stomach enough to keep you sane. Thirst can kill you. Hunger can drive you mad. When I am driving on my route, I eat sunflower seeds. Pop a handful in my mouth, and between keeping something in my mouth and staying active with cracking the seeds, it keeps me thinking that I've eaten something recently. I know it sounds dumb, but a 50 cent bag of sunflower seeds in the shell goes further than a bag of beef jerky when it comes to fooling my stomach.

But, since we don't make much money, I just buy a few things here and there. Tools, well, I don't have the knowledge or experience to do much outside the home. I can do some things, but doing a ton of building is out of my current skills. I am well prepared for an extended disaster that won't be months on end. Another Hurricane Hugo, and I'm fine. I have plenty of food, and can maintain the water (good well water) and can store enough water for a few weeks. I have some basic medical needs, a few guns, plenty of ammo for each, 2 compound bows and a few arrows, ect...

You should never wait til the last minute to start preparing. But, you don't have to drop a lot of money at one time, either. Get the necessities first. Food and water and medical supplies are a must. Weapons for hunting and protection are next. Always prepare for short term situations, then work your way to the future. Most disasters will last a few days, maybe a few weeks, rarely a few months. Many of those that will last months will be severe enough that plenty of people will be dead within hours. Anything that is going to last for years, well, we all will be in deep ****. I was in SC in 9th grade during Hugo. It was bad. But, we were roughing it for just over a week in Florence. Those disasters are rare. Katrina was a little different. Here in NC, we don't get too many hurricanes, earthquakes, ect that are noticable...not in my part of NC, anyway. Common disasters here would be a storm to knock out power, a freak snowstorm, or other similar short term weather event. Uncommon disasters would be riots (in Charlotte, that wouldn't affect us too much), Marshall Law, or a severe weather event. These are possible, but not likely to happen. When preparing, first prepare for the most common events. Those are the ones that will most likely happen, or happen more often. If you prepare for the end of the world, you won't be prepared for a few days of a minor incident. Once you have prepared for the common events, work your way forward to uncommon incidents. For the uncommon events, the common event supplies will be useful, but you have built on and around them. Food, water and first aid is good to have, no matter the situation. But, you don't need to stockpile gas masks and filters for a hurricane. You can hurt yourself by overstocking too many of the unnecessary things, or items that you will rarely need.

I've rambled, I know...it is noon, and I've not had coffee. I've been meaning to repack my bags since my last kayaking trip on the Ogeechee River a few months back. Seems everytime I take my ass out in the swamp, my gear takes longer to get back together.

oldsoldier and woody, those were brilliant, inspiring, and informative posts. Love it. Thank you!

Woody I haven't mentioned it here before but check out these sites.
    www.freecycle.com
    www.totallyfreestuff.com

You can also google free stuff and get coupons for free stuff as well as companies that will send you stuff. I recently got coupons for some free travel size toothpaste, sample packs (5) feminine pads, free baby stuff (enfimil) stuff like that, Much of it may not be something you need/use/want. But if it's free possible barter items.

Quote Originally Posted by testhop View Post
    And maybe a tractor tralier to carry all the stuff . Lol just kidding
    i would guess you would have a place to hold up where you have this stuff hidden..
    But if fema finds out thay can come in and take most to give to the sheep who didnt stock up ( yes thay have a law to cover this thay only have to leave you enough to last each person you have for 3 days.

Screw FEMA

Its a scary thought thinking about the govt invading ones home and taking whatever they want. Myself and a few friends at work have a plan for when society crumbles and between us I think we have enough supplies and knowledge to get to wherever we want to go. There are some great ideas here, I like the advice of acquiring items gradually over time. Remember that Rome wasnt built in a day. Thanks for all the great tips.

Quote Originally Posted by 24680 View Post
    Wouldn't some seeds and fertilizer be good? I didn't see any on the list. When SHTF, you may have to grow your own food eventually if it lasts longer than you would expect.

I would bring seeds for at least the following:
    Sweet corn,
    wheat,
    various garden plants,
    a handful of fruit tree plants,
    potatoes,
    oats
    I don't agree with the garden plants. I'd not be worrying about beauty just staying alive. But to the keep the wife happy I guess so.
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. Franklin D. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by testhop View Post
    And maybe a tractor tralier to carry all the stuff . Lol just kidding
    i would guess you would have a place to hold up where you have this stuff hidden..
    But if fema finds out thay can come in and take most to give to the sheep who didnt stock up ( yes thay have a law to cover this thay only have to leave you enough to last each person you have for 3 days.
    Fema would be the first people to kill.
    Without the 2nd amendment this country and its values would become a fraud.

I was searching through my shtf storage room the other day. It happens to be the same room where my workout equipment is. I came across some protein powder that I had in there. Egg protein, whey protein, etc. I went out and got more to add to my shtf list. There could be days where the fish aren't biting, Deer, turkey, etc. aren't around for a period of time. (You will have some bad days) Just mix it in your water and you get some nutrients in your body. Just my 2 cents since you guys have covered so much already.