Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When SHTF Master List

Decisions, decisions, decisions. There's the farmer, the hunter/fisherman, then the other ones... the one's that just voted in the social/science experiment dewelling in the White House.
    "Friendly Fire, isn't".

Quote Originally Posted by ravingbantha View Post
    If you want to keep on the run, go ahead. But eventually your limited supplies that you have on you will run out, then you will be forced to scavange. When that happenes you have become a menace to alot of people and may end up dead very quickly.

Not every SHTF scenerio will be over in a day or two, in fact several (including most major natural disasters) could last decades or even centuries. If you plan on staying mobile as your only plan, you will soon realize that you made the wrong decision. Most theives and crooks will get thinned out shortly aftera major event, those that survive the first few months will have done so because they avoided trying to break into a occupied structure.

Defending a building of any sort is 1000 times easier then taking it by force, study history and seiges and learn a few lessons.
    +1, I'm heading for my BOL and digging in...sustainable food and water supplies with the benefit of having tons of family and close friends in the surrounding area make for a perfect place to dig in

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but I can't find it in any other threads. What is the general concensus on most military gear? For example, my next small purchase is going to be a poncho and a poncho liner. The ones I had in the Marine Corps were pretty good and the military surplus store by me has them for 25 bucks each. Is the military good for stuff like that (also sleeping bags, canteens, packs, etc) or am i better off going to places like REI, Gander Mountain, or shopping online?

Along with the non-hybrid seeds, I have books on how to dehydrate food without electricity. I think they are a must.

Default are ready for doing both

my family is extended family, we are prepared for both but no large vehicles, to easy to spot in my opinion.if we are gonna bug we are taking essentials only, and those are packed except for food and that can be done when it is time to skedaddle if necessary.

Leave the pets behind. ( Unless they can do more then they take up. )

wow. i wouldnt need 7/8 of that list. hehe

Great thread…my 2 cents…

I am not planning on ‘bugging out’ - I am too old too fat and my knees hurt…I am fortune to have a few acres – Pacific Northwest, about 10 miles from the nearest city of 100,000. I have a good water well and am on a septic system – the property is double fenced with no-climb fence with barbed wire – it almost looks ‘normal’ . By the time the looters get to my place they will have been seriously picked off by the 30 or so homes between me and the freeway and I am not without means to defend. I have stocked LOTS of food, propane and other items. I have about 6 months of propane to cook with and run my generator 2 or 3 hours twice a week – just enough to refill the pressure tanks, take showers, do dishes, laundry – things that make you want to keep going. Live in the same cloths for 2 weeks without a shower and see how miserable that is. My next task is to put in a 3000 gallon water cistern for the garden, animals or even as potable water should the need arise.

Y'know, we really need a wiki for a list like this. That way we can keep track of the original list, but people can keep adding/subtracting form it.

Is there one out there already?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick81 View Post
    One item that I have not seen yet on ants one list is
    condoms. It doesn't seem important at first, but things might
    not return to normal for weeks even months, at some point
    the urge will hit and the stressful situation might bring
    you and someone else close and this would be the worst time to
    be pregnant or have an infant. You are stockpiling
    food for a year so your expecting the situation to last.
    Get some
    comdoms are also good for keeping dirt ,rain and such out of the end of your gun