Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prescious metals

You can also buy 1/10th ounce gold coins if you like the yellow metal but want smaller "denominations", US Mint coins them.

I like having an assortment of gold/silver/tangible goods stockpiled to trade because different trade partners will have different needs. Trading .22LR rounds might be valuable to another prepper like myself but if you're trading with some post-SHTF fat cat for a new transmission for your jeep he/she may take gold. (or TP)

If TSHTF, I don't see the value of gold or silver. If someone wants to buy toilet paper from me and offers to pay in silver, what good is the silver to me? I'll say, "no thanks, what do you have that I can actually use?"
    Of course, if I believe that the bad times are temporary, and that everything will eventually go back to normal (whatever that is) and that the silver might be worth something someday, I might accept it. But if I think the bad times will be around for awhile, I'm much more likely to want something of more practical value in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by RossA View Post
    If TSHTF, I don't see the value of gold or silver. If someone wants to buy toilet paper from me and offers to pay in silver, what good is the silver to me? I'll say, "no thanks, what do you have that I can actually use?"
    If you know how to use its anti-microbial and reflective properties it could be extremely useful.

Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA View Post
    im buying more brass and lead than gold and silver.you did say precious metals didnt you?
    LMAO! Unfortunately lead has gone way up. I used to buy 5lb. pigs for bullet casting at .50 a lb. Now it's over $2 a lb. ten years later. Percentage-wise, that's actually more growth in 10 years than gold, silver, or platinum! Maybe we SHOULD be investing in lead and brass...

Again, the silver/gold is a hedge against inflation. REAL money for that time between paper being useful only for TP and the point where TS really has HTF. What are you going to do if there is a year or so when a loaf of bread is $250 paper money. You gonna consume all your stored food for that year? What if that year is followed by total collapse?

John

I do understand what you're saying but there's nothing that's going to send bread to $250 that won't also make bread rare. Ask somebody in Zimbabwe. Precious metals will be a good way to preserve wealth but you have better buying power with dollars now in these times of plenty than you will with silver or gold in a SHTF scenario. I know there's a limit to what you can even reasonably store but again, try to buy anything you might want to trade metals for later with cash now. There just isn't enough stuff in the system to supply everybody's needs and wants through even a brief emergency. Scarcity hits almost immediately even when everybody just tries to buy gas on the same day.