Thread: Kerosene shelf life?

Default Kerosene shelf life?

How long will kerosene last before it goes "off"? Does it ever go off? I was wondering so I could store some for the kerosene heaters.

From what I gathered K-1 last indefinitely, however diesel will degrade if it gets water in it from condensation.

I had some that was over a year old that I had to use this past weekend. At first I thought maybe it had gone bad (wasn't sure at the time if Kero did or not), but it was just the batteries in the ignition weren't strong enough to light the wick. Used a lighter and that baby lit right up!

Kind of off topic buy I found some Kero 'scenters' at Home Depot the other day. Supposed to make your kero smell like pine, vanilla, cinamon, etc. I tried some in the salamanders and couldn't detect any smell, I'm guessing its more for the indoor radiant heater but haven't tried it in that yet. I think its also supposed to clean something in the fuel system as well.

I got 2-55gal drums of Chevron "Pearl" bought in 1994. One I haven't opened. The other is still as good as the day I got it. I keep them in outdoor floored, dry shed.

There is no shelf life for kerosene. Or natural gas. Or gasoline. Or diesel or fuel oil. Water is a problem in biodiesel because mono and diglycerides left after an incomplete reaction can allow water to be absorbed into the diesel through emulsification. In reality, this is only an issue if you're going to burn it in a diesel engine, where the water can effect the combustion properties and corrode fuel system components. If you're just going to burn it in a heater to stay warm, it won't be a problem.

While I say that none of these will expire, keeping gasoline around for long periods of time may allow for evaporation of some of the lighter molecules, changing its combustion and fluid properties. WSHTF, use your gasoline first.