Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vicks VapoRub can harm children under 2

Default Vicks VapoRub can harm children under 2

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090113/...vicks_children

Vicks VapoRub can harm children under 2
    By Julie Steenhuysen Julie Steenhuysen Tue Jan 13, 12:29 am ET
    CHICAGO (Reuters) Vicks VapoRub, a common cold remedy, can cause respiratory distress in children under 2 when inappropriately applied directly under the nose, U.S. researchers said on Tuesday.

They said using the Procter & Gamble Co product in this way can cause a young child's tiny airways to swell and fill with mucus, triggering severe breathing problems.

"The only problem we've seen is in a small child when it has been put under the nose," Dr. Bruce Rubin of Wake Forest University School of Medicine in North Carolina, said in a telephone interview.

Rubin said the ingredients in Vicks can be irritants, causing the body to produce more mucus to protect the airway. And since infants and young children have airways that are much narrower than those of an adult, any increase in mucus or swelling can narrow them severely.

"The company is really clear it should never go under the nose or in the nose for anybody and it shouldn't be used in children under 2," said Rubin, whose study appears in the journal Chest.

While the researchers only tested the Vicks product, Rubin said similar products, including generic versions, could cause the same negative effects in infants and toddlers.

Rubin and his colleagues began looking at use of the medication after treating an 18-month-old girl who developed respiratory distress after the salve was put under her nose.

They studied ferrets, which have an airway anatomy similar to humans. In the animals with a chest infection, the product increased mucus secretion and decreased the animal's ability to clear mucus.

"We were able to document changes that we think explain this," Rubin said.

David Bernens, a spokesman for P&G, said the finding came as a surprise. "Vicks VapoRub has been proven safe and effective through multiple clinical trials. It has been in the market for over 100 years," Bernens said, noting that the label says the product should not be used in children under age 2 without a doctor's advice, and not under the nose.

"We warn people not to do that," he said.

Since the initial episode, emergency doctors at the medical center have begun asking all parents of children in respiratory distress if they used the Vicks product in a similar way and they have seen two more cases, Rubin said.

"I recommend never putting Vicks in, or under, the nose of anybody -- adult or child," Rubin said in a statement, adding that he would never use it in a child under age 2.

Dr. James Mathers, president of the American College of Chest Physicians, said in a statement that parents should consult their doctor before giving any over-the-counter medication to infants and young children, particularly cough and cold medications, which can be harmful.

(Editing by Maggie Fox)

end quote.

I read this and like P&G who sells this stuff I think it's 100% lame and ludicrous. I have used that stuff as long as I have been alive and never have had a problem with it. It's relieved many a night time anguish, and I always have a supply available.

I remember when the old commercials for Vicks would show a parent rubbing some of the Vaporub over the young child's upper lip. We always had the stuff in the house, too. I couldn't take the overpowering smell. It reminds me of moth balls.

Warning: The Surgeon General had deemed breathing hazardous to your health and under No circumstances should be done by pregnant women, women of child bearing age, women who have had children, any women or girls planning on having children or men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by swatpup102 View Post
    I read this and like P&G who sells this stuff I think it's 100% lame and ludicrous. I have used that stuff as long as I have been alive and never have had a problem with it. It's relieved many a night time anguish, and I always have a supply available.

+1 me too. In the old days we used warm air "vaporizers" and many of them had a receptacle on top to place Vicks Vaporub. This would put the vapor in the air to break up chest congestion. I still have a very old jar where it states that a pearl-sized amount of it can be placed on the tongue to ease the symptoms of soar throat, although I noticed the new product warns against ingesting it.

A member of my grandmothers family used it and developed phenomena and as a result died. Not going on a kid of mine at 2.
    It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to [he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any life-threatening attack made upon him with a deadly weapon Gibson v KY,34SW936

Smile

My grandma only had 3 kinds of medicine in her home, ALL WONDER DRUGS... Metholatum, Campho Phenique, and Vicks. Lots of us grew up in houses with lead paint, I'd bet 99.9% of us never even owned a bicycle helmet when we were kids, lots of us had lawn darts, cars didn't come with seat belts until relatively recently, HOW DID ANY OF US LIVE TO ADULTHOOD?
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Warning: The Surgeon General had deemed breathing hazardous to your health and under No circumstances should be done by pregnant women, women of child bearing age, women who have had children, any women or girls planning on having children or men and women.

Ha Ha! Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    My grandma only had 3 kinds of medicine in her home, ALL WONDER DRUGS... Metholatum, Campho Phenique, and Vicks. Lots of us grew up in houses with lead paint, I'd bet 99.9% of us never even owned a bicycle helmet when we were kids, lots of us had lawn darts, cars didn't come with seat belts until relatively recently, HOW DID ANY OF US LIVE TO ADULTHOOD?
    I STLL have lawn darts... anyone for a game?
    Vicks helps break congestion by making your bronchi produce thin mucus that you can cough up. Just like the expectorants that you take internally, except it doesnt load your body up with man made chemicals, the menthol in vicks is 100% natural plant extract. If someone develops pneumonia its due to bacteria or virus not menthol. It's funny commercial medicine is villifying real remedies with minimal side effects so that they can sell medicines whith massive numbers of side efffects.

I'm up for lawn darts. We can't leave out sharp pointy toys too. Remember when TONKA meant turning on a light before running through your bedroom at night? Don't fall on that thing or mom's gonna put Merthiolate on it. I think it was about half mercury too. I believe the danger of dying from menthol is about equal to dying from calamine lotion. Just my opinion, I'm not a professional researcher.
    Last edited by 223Remington; 01-19-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: I can't spell