Thread: Barter Economy

Default Barter Economy

In every neighborhood and town there is likely a network of folks who barter and trade regularly. I'm not talking about illegal transactions, but the trade of goods, skills and services of like kind.

Maybe you are already tied in with these folks and regularly barter. If not, I encourage you to get to know them. Why? Post SHTF, these networks have a strong likelihood of being main channels of providing goods/services and likely precursors to organized markets, once trade is re-established. As such, it would be helpful to already have done business with such folks so that trust and relationship is already established. So, as part of your preps, I encourage you to seek out and establish yourself in the local barter economy. Just remember to report all those like-kind transactions on your taxes!

Now, let's hear some tips and stories on how you've established barter and trade near you.

How do you tax helping a neighbor? Quid pro quo. I help, they help. We put up 100 qts tomatoes each and enough fire wood for the four familes. We also share game. We Have been working together since the 70's. Well I was gone for 10 in the Navy.

Teaching the grandbabies, there is where the future is.

There's a big laughing head next to the taxes comment.

the government expects you to, but its a big joke. its impossible to track, and nearly as impossible for them to prove you "bartered" at all.

You being from the Great State of New York, they are wanting to tax hair cuts,

Postenkill is a very nice part of the state!

Taxation only applies if you are offering services that you do for a living to others by barter. So if you are a carpenter by trade, and barter your carpentry services, that is to be taxed. Helping your neighbor take a load to the dump if he comes over next week and fixes your roof (as long as he's not a roofer) is not taxable.

This is a great idea, but finding these groups of people seems pretty hard. How do you go about finding people to barter with in your local cities?
    "To boldly survive what no 16 year-old has survived before."

I am a blue collar guy, and so are most of my friends. We trade for stuff all the time. We trade labor as well as stuff. We all know more people, so they get brought in.

Searching for the American Dream in Indiana.

I also believe this will become more and more important when the "not inflationary and not raise taxes" part of the trillions kicks in.