Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to use gold in a SHTF scenario

Buy that alcohol with the gold foil in it...

Gold/Silver might be of value in the initial days of the SHTF in dealing with the less-educated amongst the populace who have items to sell that we'd like to buy such as ammo, foodstuff, etc...

Any ideas other than coin shops on best places to buy some gold/silver? Like in Rawle's "Patriots" I tend to see more value in silver dollars over anything else...

Thoughts?

it is my understanding that the value of the silver and gold will reflect the market at the time of shtf scenario ie 1 oz of 99% pure gold is being traded for x amount of dollars.

I've found better deals at local coin shops, however I would not recomend getting coins as they mark them over value because they claim they are "collectable". Find a shop that sells them in minted 1oz ingots with thier purity stamped on them. You can get 1oz of silver for 10-20$ as long as they are not some collectable coin. If you are low on funds or don't think having alot of gold or silver is a requirement just get 100$ or so in silver and be done with it as a simple back-up currency. If the dollar gets hit hard with inflation and you have cash as your only back up you might just lose a good amout of purchacing power. An ounce of gold buys the same amout of "stuff" today as it did 100 years ago. It's just a way to have money(or worth) that will retain it's percived value no matter what the main fiat currency of the day is doing. Also, never use gold or silver to purchace food unless it's for the actual seed, or live animal/'s. Once seed is purchaced you can get more seed with every harvest, so you don't lose value. If something is consumable trade time or other consumables. Otherwise just don't get any precious metals at all, outside of livestock,seeds,and land( or possible large purchaces) you are just wasting the stability of gold/silver for stuff you could trade labor/time for. don't look at it like an investment to make more money, but to lock up current precieved worth incase of runnaway inflation. Or at worst, a possible bargining tool with someone who is already well stocked and doesn't want/need any more food or ammo or alcohol/drugs.

In 1933 Roosevelt confiscated all gold and Americans were instructed to turn in their gold under penalty of heavy fines and imprisonment. He did this to deflate the dollar and inflate the value of gold because the economy was in the ****ter, like it is now. Everyone except rare coin collectors were instructed to turn in their gold. This increased the value of rare coins. While gold coins are a good investment, they sell for 35% higher than the cost of gold bullion. The government can still confiscate gold bulliion, but not coins which have a numismatic value of greater than 15% of their actual gold value. So to collect coins is expensive because you must overcome the "spread", or the difference between what you pay for the coin, and the actual gold value. So either you will have to sell to another collector or you will have to wait until the gold value increases 35% just to break even. A good website that explains this is Tapgold.com, a subsidiary of Goldline investments.

Searching for the American Dream in Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieRiot View Post
    I think that gold would be good to preserve your wealth if you think that society is going to come back... but if it became long term shtf... it would really be only worth what someone else is willing to trade for it. For example if someone needed gold to use in some build electronic device and that was the last component they needed you might get a good trade, but outside of that, it would most likely be worthless. I doubt that it would become something I would ever want in shtf, I would be more likely to want something like salt, water, ammo, clothing, raw materials, etc.

Think in terms of 2000 years ago. Gold was for jewelry (crowns, rings, etc) and was eventually used for a monetary system. That could very well happen again. But I think that something like copper could become worth more than gold, as it would be much more useful. I am sure that if it became a long term shtf, a barter system would start to evolve over time and gold may come back as a monetary system.

Man, you have really been brainwashed in to thinking paper is money. If a ship shank with hundred trillion US paper dollars on board coming freshly minted from China today do you think in three hundred years some one will find them and they will be worth hundreds of millions of dollars? What about the sister ship with a hundred trillion dollars of gold going from the US to China to pay for the hundred trillion paper dollars? You think some one will risk life and limb to find that ship? Will it multiply in value in to hundreds and hundreds of trillions of dollars in three hundred years? Yes absolutely! Gold will never go to 0. Ever since the first cave man pick up a shiny piece and said Ug. (roughly translates to Look! or Snake! or food, or Im tired, or ug, or big stick or your foots on fire or yikes, saber tooth tiger! or Im your chief and Ill take that shiny bit for taxes!) it has been worth seeking out and trading. 2000 years ago it was the monetary system! 80 years ago it was the monetary system! Paper is only good until people stop believing it has value! You probably have to have fifty million dollars to buy 10 Zimbabwe loaves of bread if they take the paper. Or a silver piece. If gold didn't really have value why did the US gov. go throught all the trouble to confiscate it all during the last depression?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
    Draven Azropht, if some group tried annexing land that was mine, I would be quite friendly at first and probably ask them if they need food. However, I would just poison some food and let them eat it, and kill anyone who may have not ate the food(however if the food looked good enough, I can't see hungry people not chowing it down). Why would you try to steal land from a person instead of state land?
    Well to put into prospective; if you aren't using the land and its in an area you don't normally visit you wouldn't really know who was were. In an economic SHTF or natural disaster STHF you can't really rely on things like deeds and property lines. I live in a small city and allot of people plan to "bug-out" to state land. If state land is inaccessible, unable to be used or over populated and a person or group of people happen to use resources but no where to bed down and are essentually on an unused portion of your land I say why not..?

Beyond that you need to consider the implications of such decisions; said group could be a great many things and one of which could be displaced, scared and prepared. Imagine a group of who Bugged-In and had to abandon their home went to a BOL and found it overran or inaccessible (washed away in landslide or torn down in a Tornadeo) and find a nice plot of unused land that you don't even patrol or use on a regular basis. Not every squatter is going to be an aggresser...

Thats a bit off topic as far as gold/silver is concerned. However, I'll say this, property lines or borders only mean something if they are enforced by it's owner. After that it's all "what ifs" and "maybes". I personally would not encroach on marked or posted land, it's about respect and how I would want to be treated. Would you steal some guys car because "he wasn't using it"?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
    Thats a bit off topic as far as gold/silver is concerned. However, I'll say this, property lines or borders only mean something if they are enforced by it's owner. After that it's all "what ifs" and "maybes". I personally would not encroach on marked or posted land, it's about respect and how I would want to be treated. Would you steal some guys car because "he wasn't using it"?
    Depends on the situation if machine gun wielding zombie bikers are coming after me and a guy's car has the keys in the ignition; damn skippy...

Would I take it just cause; no...

And no its not a matter of whether you are enforcing that boarder but whether you can enforce it. When chaos insues violence is the currancy of the realm. Now for those who have the gold; it may be of no help in the local barter markets but just cause the US suffers an economic SHTF doesn't mean other countries will as well.

More so, need takes priority over respect. If someone needs something they will either ask for it, trade for it or take it by force. Myself, I'd rather give a person a chance to provide for themselves and enter into mutual security or work for food pact. Gold may well have a untility value with trade and getting things from other countries; or at the very least you could use it to trade with those who have access to other countries.

Indianapolis, Indiana -- State Senator Greg Walker of District 41, (R-Columbus), has officially filed a Bill
    that would allow Indiana to offer its citizens a choice of Gold (and Silver) coin or the Electronic equivalent
    in payable and receivable transactions with the state.
    http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/b...Bill&docno=453

Indiana looks like they want to go gold.