Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anybody in New Mexico?

Got one here from the Gilas! Silver City area.

Been thing about Belen lately or somewhere just south of there near the river.

In Artesia.

Albuquerque here

Default Best area in New Mexico for a prepper's refuge?

What recommendations do you have for the best place in New Mexico for a preppers refuge?

Quote Originally Posted by kartographer View Post
    What recommendations do you have for the best place in New Mexico for a preppers refuge?
    North Tx Panhandle.
    Using ABQ as the main place of exodus you DO NOT WANT TO have a BOL
    North towards Jemez.
    North towards Cochiti
    North towards Fenton Lake
    North towards Pecos and Taos
    East towards the east mountains
    East towards Santa Rosa
    South towards Elephant Butte lake
    South towards Mexico.
    Anywhere along the Rio Grande.
    My reasoning on this is that anyone living from Las Lunas to Sante Fe will likely head to where they camped as a kid, where they know water is or where they have gone hunting.
    This leaves Cuba, West of ABQ, West of Rio Rancho, and east towards West Tx panhandle. San Juan, Colfax, Union, Harding McKinley , Catron counties all look promising to me.

I heard there was a group of 6 or 7 out that way?
    "Cocked and locked", the only way to travel...

Default Ruidoso, N.M.

I've been think about the area around Ruidoso and Cloudcroft. Water has been a big problem for the area, especially after the Little Bear fire. As far as weather, the 3,000 ft. difference between Ruidoso to Cloudcroft elevations can really make it a tough go in Cloudcroft. If you just get outside of Ruidoso the winter weather generally doesn't hang around for more than a couple days but there are the extreme examples from very little snow to several weather systems back to back of potential 40-50 inches in a weeks time. At the top of Sierra Blanca, that can equal a 100 inches of snow but unless you're an avid skier, you don't need to drive up there. It's not cheap living in Ruidoso but nothing in comparison to Santa Fe and Taos. Still a beautiful area.
    JT

Las Vegas NM here.

I am outside the towns incorporated area and property is still fairly inexpensive, small town (15K), an hour (65 miles) away from Santa Fe, 2 hours (roughly) to the Colorado border or 3 hours (roughly) to the Texas border, miles and miles of miles and miles of high plains, great hunting and fishing. Las Vegas is at 6400 feet on I25 at/in the foothills of the Sange De Cristos, a spur of the Rockies. Growing season is not as long as I would like but I still get a good outdoor crop of zucchini, tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, melons, eggplant, and root veggies. Some snow in the winter but it does not last long, my wife calls it tryout snow.

Union county!