Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bug out trailer project

Following this thread. Some good ideas already. The tires are a biggie to me.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Got the trailer hitch installed on my wifeís SUV. This is not the first trailer hitch Iíve installed. Usually you need a floor jack to help raise it up into place until you get the nuts and bolts started. Well, letís just say itís been a few years since I put a trailer hitch on. Conveniently my belly was just the right size to hold the hitch in place instead of a floor jack. It worked out great!!!

The wire harness was, for the most part, just a plug and play unit. Unplug the tail light harness on the SUV on each side and plug the harness in. Had to add a ground which was easy enough as well. There is a power wire that this adapter needs that I have not ran yet. Iíll have to pull the SUV in our garage sometime this weekend or next weekend to get that done since we are planning on picking the trailer up at the end of this month.

Got online this week and went ahead and ordered some batteries for this. These are the cells;

https://batteryhookup.com/products/s...-w-cell-holder

Iíve got a few of these already and they are nice so I ordered a lot more! The battery will have to be assembled which is going to be time consuming, but will have a capacity of 200 amp/hrs at 12 volts. IF each cell were maxed out in this battery then it would have the capability of putting out 5,000 amps of current CONTINUOUSLY with a 3 second surge rating of 10,000 amps!!! These cells are VERY capable. However, the battery will be fused with about a 300 amp fuse to keep things a little more sane, and to limit each cell to only produce 12 amps. This should help to improve longevity while still being enough power to run anything I would want to run while keeping weight low. Just the cells in this battery will weigh 66 pounds total. That is about half the weight of a comparable AGM battery while having 6 times longer life span. I can deal with that!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Cav I had another thought...replace the wheel bearings whether they need it or not. Better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by CENTEXDUDE View Post
    Cav I had another thought...replace the wheel bearings whether they need it or not. Better safe than sorry.
    Sage advice right there.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Sage advice right there.
    Yes it is great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by CENTEXDUDE View Post

I was planning on bringing some grease and some tools to repack the bearings before we headed back home. I donít know what size the axle is so I figured just repacking them would be good for now. Order the right bearings after we get home and keep the old ones as an emergency backup.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I was planning on bringing some grease and some tools to repack the bearings before we headed back home. I donít know what size the axle is so I figured just repacking them would be good for now. Order the right bearings after we get home and keep the old ones as an emergency backup.
    Solid Plan Cav. Lots of folks have trailers of all types for years and never do anything with the wheel bearings....until they fail. Many times, if it don't cause a wreck, will cost you a axle if the races spin.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Solid Plan Cav. Lots of folks have trailers of all types for years and never do anything with the wheel bearings....until they fail. Many times, if it don't cause a wreck, will cost you a axle if the races spin.
    Iíve owned several trailers in the past and on each one I would repack the bearings at least once a year depending on how often the trailer was used and how fast I drove with it. It was always a good chance to also check out the suspension, mounts, and check the bolts for any problems. We do regular oil changes on cars so why not do regular maintenance on a trailer too? If you spend a little bit of time after using things to clean them up and check them over, they last a LOT longer.

Consider up sizing the wheels/tires to SUV/light truck all season radials, that have a larger diameter than stock, a deeper tread depth, and more internal plys. I would also look into mounting the existing axle underneath the leaf springs, instead of on top like the factory does....this would raise your ground clearance for rough roads, or driving over debris in the road. Also consider a swivel hitch mount to prevent torsional damage to the tongue, or frame.

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
    Consider up sizing the wheels/tires to SUV/light truck all season radials, that have a larger diameter than stock, a deeper tread depth, and more internal plys. I would also look into mounting the existing axle underneath the leaf springs, instead of on top like the factory does....this would raise your ground clearance for rough roads, or driving over debris in the road. Also consider a swivel hitch mount to prevent torsional damage to the tongue, or frame.

I will definitely be looking at upgrading the tires. As far as bigger wheels/tires and flipping the axle and the hitch upgrade, those things wonít be of a benefit to us, right now. Our tow vehicle is a mid sized 3 row front wheel drive SUV that has almost zero off road capability. Not only that, but when you put larger tires or larger rims or do an axle flip that increases ground clearance. That means that the top of the trailer is now higher. With our SUV, that would put the trailer above the height of the SUV and thus, directly into the wind. This would decrease fuel economy. With our BOL being 200 miles away, I would prefer to not do any of those things, right now.

I keep saying ďright nowĒ because it is in our plans to upgrade tow vehicles. More than likely my wife will keep her SUV and Iíll trade my hybrid in for a 3/4 or a 1 ton truck once I stop working. At that point, upgrading the wheels and hub to ones that have the same bolt pattern as the truck would be beneficial. As would upgrading to the exact same tires. This way, a spare tire could be used on the trailer or the truck. The axle flip would get the trailer to the same level as the truck, and an articulating hitch would be beneficial as well since whatever truck we get WILL BE 4 wheel drive.