Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Get Away Car!

Default My Get Away Car!

Just thought I'd share some photo's of my Trail Rail buggy. It started life as a "Three and a half Seater" meaning it had an area behind the front seats to put two small children's seats in sideways. I used that area to build in a sealed cargo storage container from side to side. It also has storage inside the spare tire wheel well, on top with a clip on roof rack and on top of the rear fenders. I have four waterproof East German combat packs that clip on to snaps built into the fenders, two per side. It also has assorted ammo boxes bolted anywhere there's a flat spot.

The suspension has been upgraded to be quite a bit heavier than stock. Helper springs on the front and dual shocks on the rear with bigger torsion bars on both ends. Heavy duty parts throughout. I added a fair amount of bracing on the frame when I assembled it, beyond what the instructions called for. It was designed as a dune rail but I built it heavier as a trail rail. It has disc brakes on all four corners and a cutting aka steering brake between the seats. I've used that to steer thru deep soft sand like I was slaloming down a ski trail. A powered winch is mounted in the nose. A 45 watt mobile radio is mounted under the "dash". Full five point racing harnesses and deep bucket seats keep us in place. Net debris shields where the windows would normally be keep the brush from slapping us as we cruise by.

The engine is a hot little Ford V6. Mild cam, 4 inch riser under the carb, headers, a very hot ignition, a Holley 4412 500cfm carb, polished and matched ports, 120 watt alternator, etc. etc. I machined extra water flow slots inside the heads and streamlined the cooling circuit since I don't need heater outlets or bypass hoses. The radiator is oversized with a dual cooling fan circuit and three fans to keep it all cool. It has a massive oil cooler with it's own fan and a ram air cooling system. The CV joints have been upgraded to 100mm ones and the axles are special torsion types. The ignition is a hybrid!

The Distributor is a dual point Mallory but only one set of points is hooked up. The other set is there so I can switch it over if the first set fails. The points trigger an electronic isolation system that carries all of the load for the points. Only the points rubbing block will wear. No arcing. That fires thru a CDI booster circuit to fire a Mallory Super Coil. It'll set off car alarms and knock your Tallywacker in the dirt if you touch a bare plug wire! I can switch it back to non electronic so it's just a normal points system in about 3 minutes in case the electronics fail.

I've run it down trails where bot front tires were off the ground because she was sliding on her belly. It's also street legal. I've run it down the interstate at 100mph+ and have taught the local "fart can racers" to not bother me. Here's some photo's.

Now that is cool in a mad max kinda way!!!

Have you thought about some fenders for the front tires and maybe a little shielding/protection for the occupants? It looks like it would be a cold and miserable ride if it was raining in the winter.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

https://www.zibarusa.com/service/zibar-zedd/
    Here is kinda what I want. Some confab like this. 50 gallon tank, and 0-60 in 5 seconds....

what most people can afford.https://www.cyrusher.com/?gclid=Cj0K...8aAtvYEALw_wcB

Thats an awesome ride. Bet its fun to drive. Will be very useful if you have to hit the trail cause of bad news.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Needs a 50 on top, but otherwise pretty awesome.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Nice....very cool.

That is SOOOME ride. I like it. I just hope it doesn't come to a point that we need something like it, but if so, this would be ideal to book in a hurry!
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

It's cool, no doubt. But also a target.....
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

If it comes to SHTF , any vehicle is a target and I doubt a machine like that would travel in the open with zombies lurking about. This looks like off road trans. Your typical vehicle isn't built for off road. The only thing I'd reconsider is removing the 'flag' in a SHTF situation. That would draw attention above the brush.
    Last edited by Camouflaged; 04-19-2021 at 09:33 PM.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Camouflaged.............Yeah, the flag comes down if I want to go stealth. In fact, I carry lightweight camo netting to toss over the windshield and red engine parts if I'm trying to hide. Of course, I can kill all of my running lights but I can also turn off my brake lights. (May not be legal in all States)

ak474u............What makes you think I don't have a removable mini turret for it? Do you have any idea of what a pain in the rear it is to drive around with an M60 clipped to the roof turret? Everybody wants to see it, ask about it, etc. The Snow Birds keep calling the cops on me and the cops all want to go drive it around and shoot the gun!

91CavGT.................Yeah, I've thought about front fenders but they'd have to be able to turn with the wheels. Major pain! I'm not to worried about the snow and freezing rain because I live in Southern Arizona. I carry a couple of rain suits in case I get caught in a storm. We do have flash floods here in the desert so I also carry space blankets and all kinds of survival gear in case I get stuck off road in a storm. Exciting is racing a flash flood down a wash looking for a way up and out!