Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Get Away Car!

Exciting is racing a flash flood down a wash looking for a way up and out!

Been there, done that, once. Back when I was ignorant of the area. Made sure it never happened again.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Exciting is racing a flash flood down a wash looking for a way up and out!

Been there, done that, once. Back when I was ignorant of the area. Made sure it never happened again.
    Oh, Boy!!! Talk about an adrenalin rush!

That's what I'm talking about! Looking for a way up and out. It doesn't matter if it doesn't go anywhere as long as it's above the water. That's one of the many reasons I carry some "comfort gear" like a small tarp, rain suits, flashlights, beacons (to signal the other survivors sitting on their little islands!), etc. etc. Some of the washes around here are ten and fifteen feet deep or deeper.

For people who have never been in the desert or even some other areas of the west - many off-roaders use dry washes for roads. Like Wulfthang says, they can be very deep and often parts of them have sides that are impossible to climb out of even on foot.
    And it can be sunny where you are and still rain hard miles away and send a wall of water to your location. And I mean a Wall of water that might be many feet high. Nothing can withstand that. That rushing water along the way will pick up anything that happens to be in its path, a dead cow, a car, a dumped out refrigerator, a tree, anything.
    If it is quiet you can hear them coming but if you have an engine running or a radio making noise, it can surprise you. Sometimes these washes will have a relatively straight spot where you can see it coming and often they are twisting and you have almost no warning at all.

That is spot on fact! If you see one of the flash floods running down a wash, look close at the front wave. It's not water! It's only a little bit of water mixed with sand, dirt, rocks, the body parts of the Illegals who vanished while traveling in a Wash because it's easier walking, etc. etc. The front "wave" may only be a foot high but it's very powerful and will knock you down. Once the "front" passes, it's mostly water but mixed in with lots of debris depending on how big the flood is. I've seen trees passing by. The ground here will not absorb water like in normal places. It just stays on the surface and flows to the lowest point. Then it's gone like it never happened.

Like hiwal said: It can be a beautiful day. Sunny and nice. Just having fun racing around in a wash and then a wave comes along and ruins the day. The water runs off the mountains and hills in little streams, getting bigger as the travel along. They eventually end up in a Wash as a flash flood.

The saddest part about it, is when some idiot thinks he can cross the flooded wash with his jacked up truck loaded with his wife and kids, maybe even the neighbors kids. "Look honey. It's only three feet deep". Then it pushes them sideways off the edge of the road where the ground has been eroded by the flood waters and the wheels drop in the hole. The the truck rolls over and people die, usually kids. Happens every single year like clockwork in the Monsoon season. Last summer, it was three little girls.