Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shortages are coming, what have you heard/seen

Lumber has dbled in price here but haven't noticed any shortages of anything. We're still in pretty good shape.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

I hear toilet paper will be in short supply again.

The new " administration " is giving the whole country the screaming $hits.

A news article from Bloomberg on MSN.com talks about the upcoming food price hikes due to shortages.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...more-expensive
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Crazy prices on lumber here.

Had a devil of a time with an electronics purchase, impacted by the semiconductor shortage. It's so competitive that you basically have to swoop like a vulture. Took me six weeks to obtain a device that should have been a one-click wonder. If you need radio or computer gear, expect to have to hunt for it.

Next up I'm hearing is meat. Prices already headed north, and I could not find a whole chicken in my preferred brand this weekend.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

I too have heard about meat prices going up.

All kinds of electronics are in short supply right now, and thus, their prices are going up to reflect the low stock.

Here come gas shortages, but not due to a lack of fuel. It is due to a lack of drivers to deliver the fuel.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/27/busin...age/index.html

Iíve got my commercial drivers license and can attest that the driver shortage is felt all over, but the industries that require special certifications and endorsements are being hit the hardest. See, when Covid hit and the lockdowns went into effect, those drivers that were on the fence decided to retire, a whole lot of them did. More than usual. New drivers were not coming into the field due to the driving schools being shut down. You canít learn how to drive via a zoom meeting.

On top of that, in January of 2020 a new federal clearinghouse mandatory registration went online that is a national registry that checks drivers criminal history as well as previous failures of drug tests. This new website disqualified 40,00-60,000 drivers nationally.

So now we are sitting with 25% less drivers nationally. So as more and more people decide to travel this summer, the possibility of gas stations in high traffic areas running out of fuel is going to increase. A way for the government to ďfixĒ this is to implement fuel rationing. However, this will stop a lot of holiday travel and will hurt local economies that rely on tourists even more than theyíve already been hurt. Much like what is happening to lumber right now, it can also cause prices to go up dramatically. If demand outpaces supply then prices will go up.

If you donít have a fuel efficient vehicle to commute with then now might be the time to get one. Their prices will go up along with the price of fuel, and their availability is only going to go down as the demand for them goes up.

More than usual. New drivers were not coming into the field due to the driving schools being shut down. You canít learn how to drive via a zoom meeting.

I ran into a beaut the other day - young Russian I believe - was down in our residential area trying to nav the narrow parked streets delivering to the wrong address - flagged him down and got him going in the correct direction >>> only trouble - he couldn't drive when he got off the interstate - lost track of him trying to make a left at the corner - at least got him out of the neighborhood without any damage - ????

To add to the driver shortage, and I forgot about this earlier, is new requirements that went into effect a few years ago for people trying to get their CDL. If they arenít mechanically inclined, at least here in Texas, then it is next to impossible to pass the pre-trip inspection test at the DMV. The pre-trip test at the DMV used to take about 20 minutes. It now takes 2 hours!!!! So not as many people pass the test, AND they canít test as many people per day compared to what they could do before.

No worries y'all. Driverless electric deliveries are a thing now. Check out Dominoe's pizza delivery
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    To add to the driver shortage, and I forgot about this earlier, is new requirements that went into effect a few years ago for people trying to get their CDL. If they arenít mechanically inclined, at least here in Texas, then it is next to impossible to pass the pre-trip inspection test at the DMV. The pre-trip test at the DMV used to take about 20 minutes. It now takes 2 hours!!!! So not as many people pass the test, AND they canít test as many people per day compared to what they could do before.

2 hours !!! - the CDL training schools have all the IL DMV CDL tests - make a deal with the local DMV license facility for the students to take the known test all at the same time - then they get to take the CDL "road test" using a box truck out in the facility parking lot - they put 25 guys thru testing in less than 2 hours - guys getting a CDL re-newal have it eazier ....

I don't know about the CDL tests but a regular vehicle written test is available in like 20 different languages - don't even need to know English ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 04-28-2021 at 10:03 AM.