Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shortages are coming, what have you heard/seen

Default Shortages are coming, what have you heard/seen

Due to MANY factors, really a perfect storm for some items, shortages are either upon us or are coming quickly. So to help give a heads up to all of the forum members, post up what you are hearing or have been told or have personally seen.

Lumber.

Saw mills are cranking out lumber but they are not able to keep up with demand due to the unprecedented Texas freeze in February along with a massive demand for new homes despite the price increases.

Agriculture.

Due to the big windstorm that hit the bread basket of the U.S. last year, the big freeze in the south in February, the ongoing drought here and in other countries, along with plagues of insects and rodents around the world over the last few months, there are either going to be much higher food costs and/or food shortages coming very soon.

Microchips.

This, for right now, is hitting the new U.S. made automotive market very hard. Manufacturers just donít have enough parts to keep up with demand. This is causing a shortage of some new vehicles, and it is causing used vehicles to increase in price.

Other housing materials.

PVC, PEX, copper wire, and metal are all rising in price and the markets appear to be running slim on stock. Primarily due to the housing boom along with COVID lockdowns decreasing production.

So what have yíall heard and/or seen?
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Thanks for that tip Cav, I need to get a roll of PEX line, my house has quest line and we have had a ton of leaks. I'm slowly replacing it with PEX

wouldn't take everything as accurate >>> that so-called windstorm that hit the "breadbasket" last year didn't affect much of anything - farmers got insurance $$$ for that corn crop and then salvaged most of it using specialized picking equipment ..

2 other thing that I had forgotten.

Fiberglass.

Not just any fiberglass, but the specialty fiberglass that is used to make the wind turbines. This same fiberglass is also used in the front caps of mid/high end 5th wheel RVs. RV manufacturers are having to use a different type of material for the front cap of those RVs, IF they can find any. Most RV production lines have also cut back to only running the assembly lines a few days a week (2-3 days) instead of the normal 5 days. This is causing a shortage of RVs that is just now starting to be seen. This combined with the shortage of lumber is also causing price increases that will start to be seen in early June.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    wouldn't take everything as accurate >>> that so-called windstorm that hit the "breadbasket" last year didn't affect much of anything - farmers got insurance $$$ for that corn crop and then salvaged most of it using specialized picking equipment ..
    Well, as the post says, what you are hearing.

What I had heard is that yes, some crops were salvageable but it wasnít just crops that were damaged. It was also grain silos and other hardware that were damaged. This by itself didnít cause a big problem, but when combined with all of the other droughts and plagues combine to end up not being good.

Around here lumber. I don't buy it as I'm not building, but I hear news accounts and builders are redoing estimates on building houses because lumber prices are shooting up faster than a ICBM - - - and I'm talking about SIGNIFICANT increases in prices!!!

Early 2020 OSB here was around $8 a sheet at Lowes it's $36.60 now
    Live Free or Die

Lumber is mostly available right now, but prices are tripled at least. Some foods are missing, but mostly in stock although stocks are thinner than normal. Biggest shortages are canning supplies, ammo, and other type stuff. But prices are going up quicker than I ever recall for anything other than gas. Now it's everything.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I've noticed canned products in grocery store shelves being not full, just a few items.
    At first I thought t was inventory control from the warehouses but realize now its a combination of the virus/ storm damage.
    Another thing.... the big freeze we had in Texas in Febuary .... not one mention on any news about the damage it caused to the citrus crops and others in the Rio Grande Valley.
    And what about the grapes for wine?

The major shortage that is effecting everything is........ Workers, it's difficult to compete with gov printed money.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.