Thread: Heating water the solar way

Default Heating water the solar way

Does anyone here have a Sun Kettle from 4patriots?
    If you do is it easy to deal with or just junk?

I think they are a waste of money when there are several free ways to do the same. I would concentrate more on having access to water rather than spending money to heat it.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

I don’t have anything small as far as solar cookers that would be perfect for putting on my bob all I have is a wood fired Turkish samovar and two big solar ovens

If SHTF, all you need is a bunch of small mirrors(I’ve got about 15 packs 10 counts of 1”X1” mirrors) and some kind of adhesive. There are satellite dish antennas on almost every house nowadays. Unbolt the mounting bracket that mounts the dish to the roof, bolt that bracket down to some wood or to a tree stump, then glue all of the mirrors to the face of the satellite dish. The roof mount and the adjustments on the dish itself will allow you to manipulate the dish in almost any position making it very easy to aim it to the sun. Just fabricate a little pan holder and you have yourself a solar cooker and/or water heater. For heating water you can put a metal oil or transmission cooler from a car over the dish and have water running through it.

HOWEVER, BE CAREFUL!!!!!

The last one I made was a little too effective and it would ignite logs of wood within 15 seconds!!!! It got VERY hot in the focal area. But, just a little outside of the focal area and the temps were much more manageable.

Btw, this only cost me about $30 to make.
    Last edited by 91CavGT; 04-13-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    If SHTF, all you need is a bunch of small mirrors(I’ve got about 15 packs 10 counts of 1”X1” mirrors) and some kind of adhesive. There are satellite dish antennas on almost every house nowadays. Unbolt the mounting bracket that mounts the dish to the roof, bolt that bracket down to some wood or to a tree stump, then glue all of the mirrors to the face of the satellite dish. The roof mount and the adjustments on the dish itself will allow you to manipulate the dish in almost any position making it very easy to aim it to the sun. Just fabricate a little pan holder and you have yourself a solar cooker and/or water heater. For heating water you can put a metal oil or transmission cooler from a car over the dish and have water running through it.

HOWEVER, BE CAREFUL!!!!!

The last one I made was a little too effective and it would ignite logs of wood within 15 seconds!!!! It got VERY hot in the focal area. But, just a little outside of the focal area and the temps were much more manageable.

Great idea.

Makes plenty sense to me, the dish is already shaped properly and as said has multiple adjustments.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post

HOWEVER, BE CAREFUL!!!!!

This is one of the best reasons to come to this site. I'd never have thought of this one.
    Thanks.

https://www.rheem.com/products/resid...roducts/solar/

You see these in the ME. You can't have the water tank on the roof if it gets to cold..

Don't think I want to see anything in you. Thanks for the warning .
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.