Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to stock now? (What’s about to get expensive?)

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    This is probably one of the best things right now. Last year when store shelves went empty, seeds followed shortly behind it. I picked up a lot of seeds right before they all sold out. When food gets scarce, people panic buy seeds. There has been a lot of talk about fruits and veggies being in short supply very soon. This is due to the massive wind storm last year in the middle of the country, all of the fires out west, and the massive winter storm in February. All of these disasters took out a LOT of food production. Add to that severe weather this spring and the projected drought to worsen this summer and you are looking at shortages of food at grocery stores.
    Exactly this. We have tweaked our strategy a bit to move further south into SW Florida instead of Tennessee. As much as I love those TN mountains, I can grow a whole bunch more food in sub-tropical FL with just a small parcel of property.

Besides the tropical fruit, I know from experience that we can grow giant broccoli heads in February, the sweetest carrots I've ever tasted, and so many other things once the soil is prepared. Fortunately, the county recycler offers rich, black compost for $10/cubic yard. Last time I was there, they gave me a "two-fer"... two cubic yards of screened, steaming compost for ten bucks. The stuff is so "hot" I had to cut it 50/50 with sandy soil. Throw in a few hundred worms and we'll be off to the races and canning like crazy.

Then there's the political climate - senior-friendly and gun-friendly sheriffs made the decision a no-brainer. A lot of my law enforcement peeps are already there, and more are coming. We're already talking about a MAG there, so it seems like a win-win-win. YMMV.

all good ideas
    general thought i have is why park $ anywhere when you can turn it into hard assets you're going to need in the future.

that turns out to be all the basic prepper items
    farmland / safe retreat
    water - stored is not going to cut it long term, got to have your own replenishable supply that you control
    food - same as water, if you can't produce food only matter of time before you starve, or spend yourself into the poor house
    food production gear - tractors, tillers, hoes, shovels, etc etc
    stored fuel to support your food production devices as long as you can before you can't afford to replenish it

add plastic to the list of recent short supply / exploding prices

and if that container ship blocking the suez isn't freed soon, pretty much across the board inflation

and wait until the several trillion $ "infrastructure" bill hits the economy
    we are just no seeing the first knock ons from the latest "stimulus" monstrosity

I wish that the BS would stop about that container ship and the Suez - it barely affects the US - the supertankers obsoleted the US trade thru the Suez decades ago - we are asian dependent - cut the Panama Canal and then you start talking ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    I wish that the BS would stop about that container ship and the Suez - it barely affects the US - the supertankers obsoleted the US trade thru the Suez decades ago - we are asian dependent - cut the Panama Canal and then you start talking ....
    It is a trickle down effect. What effects other countries will eventually effect us in some way. So even if we don’t have goods going through there, the effects will reach us sometime in the future. The big questions are 1. How long will it take to effect us and 2. How bad will it be?
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    I'm not blowing money. Don't have near enough for that. But I have been lookin at low end Wood mizers. Down side to the low end stuff is small diameter logs. I've got access to some nice poplars for the taking. But most all of them are 30+" diameter, some pushing 40. Gotta go up a few levels of Mizer to handle them.
    I didn't mean it ugly, just if you're going to stock up on off the shelf lumber for future projects because the price may go up, then park the money in almost unlimited lumber. I feel like lumber will go down, there's millions of logs sitting right now because of lack of production. When restrictions are lifted and the stimulus money runs out people will be back to work and the mills will run again.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Totally understand Flock. I like the low end prices much better. But free timber would offset the cost of the larger units. I'm actually thinking about looking at used ones, see if I could find a bargin somewhere.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Default Ron White on Immigration (NSFW)

Love Ron White. He makes a good point.

My wife surprised me tonight. She decided to make a grocery store run, with one catch. She called me to meet her at a store so I could take the cold stuff home while she got more groceries. She came home with a car full of groceries!! Mostly canned and non-perishable goods. She felt the need to stock up without us even talking about doing that. So now, it will be 3 or 4 months, at least, till we need to make another grocery store run! If we watched what we fixed and didn’t waste any food, we could be comfortable for 6 months. Kuddos to the wifey!!!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Ammo. In a real shtf situation, it will be worth more than gold or silver .

and heirloom seeds .
    Last edited by bambam; 03-26-2021 at 10:58 PM.