Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to stock now? (What’s about to get expensive?)

Default What to stock now? (What’s about to get expensive?)

So I seem to have a bad habit of missing opportunities.

Had the opportunity to buy some bitcoin back in 2017 when it was about $1000 each. But who has money like that to squander on what amounts to a few lines of computer code on a flash drive? Missed that one.

2-3 years ago missed opportunity to stockpile ammo After the craziness that followed the sandy hook shooting but before the COVID panic buying.

Missed buying silver last March when it dipped to about $13/oz before climbing to its current price of $25.

And just a month or so ago missed opportunity to fill all my gas cans before gas jumped to almost $3 a gallon.

Well I don’t want to miss the next one.

What do you guys and gals see as being pretty reasonable right now but set to climb significantly in the near future? Obviously most interested in prepper type stuff.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

various foods - there's the usual spring deals out there >>> if you need something like a freezer - I'd be buying one now while they are China available >> China is REALLY REALLY pushing the envelope out there - don't know if Biden will continue to ignore the Asian Rim or actually try something (God help us) ....

wouldn't exactly ignore $3/gallon gas >>> first shot at Isreal and it hits $10

Personally, we've been hoarding heirloom seeds of all kinds... with an eye toward moving south to a longer growing season. I store everything in a .50 cal. ammo can with desiccant, separated by type. We've got so many varieties the wifey had to start a spread-sheet to keep track of them all.

I have plenty of other stuff, but the seeds will keep until needed later this summer. That's our main focus at the moment - working toward a more self-sufficient lifestyle. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCitizenPatriot View Post
    Personally, we've been hoarding heirloom seeds of all kinds... with an eye toward moving south to a longer growing season. I store everything in a .50 cal. ammo can with desiccant, separated by type. We've got so many varieties the wifey had to start a spread-sheet to keep track of them all.

I have plenty of other stuff, but the seeds will keep until needed later this summer. That's our main focus at the moment - working toward a more self-sufficient lifestyle. YMMV.
    This is probably one of the best things right now. Last year when store shelves went empty, seeds followed shortly behind it. I picked up a lot of seeds right before they all sold out. When food gets scarce, people panic buy seeds. There has been a lot of talk about fruits and veggies being in short supply very soon. This is due to the massive wind storm last year in the middle of the country, all of the fires out west, and the massive winter storm in February. All of these disasters took out a LOT of food production. Add to that severe weather this spring and the projected drought to worsen this summer and you are looking at shortages of food at grocery stores.

Lumber prices have gone up a lot over the last couple of months. Electronics still remain in short supply. Wire prices have really gone up a lot as well. Automotive manufacturers have announced a lack of parts to make vehicles so production is dropping which will only lead to higher prices.

Want to cash in on a good investment now for in the future? By a hybrid car that gets incredible gas mileage. We all know gas prices are going up. How high will they go? I don’t know. I do know that the last time gas prices approached $4 a gallon, Geo Metros that typically sell for $1-$1.5k were being sold for $5k. My daily driver is a hybrid but it looks like this will be my last year to work. So, after gas prices go up, I’ll be trading it in on a big pickup truck.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Now is not the time to buy for wealth or savings. Continue your prep plan and focus on holes or shortfalls. If you have cash that you're setting on I would turn it into PM even fine watches or jewelry. I wouldn't even recommend real estate right now unless you either flip it fast or plan to hold it for a long time. My gut is the next 3-5 years will be hard on the dollar.

Silver and gasoline are still pretty cheap compared to recent history.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant_Medic View Post

Had the opportunity to buy some bitcoin back in 2017 when it was about $1000 each. But who has money like that to squander on what amounts to a few lines of computer code on a flash drive? Missed that one.

For a digital currency investment, look at XRP while it is still under $1.00.

Missed buying silver last March when it dipped to about $13/oz before climbing to its current price of $25.

The price of silver is still being suppressed. With an economic crash its price should rise along with inflation despite the central banks' suppression.

I've been saving copper like crazy. People normally don't think about copper but, it has multi usage (and additional currency.)
    Also, news papers and cardboard,
    fruit trees ( at least two of each ) if you have the property to support them.
    At least three hens and a rooster that reproduce and brood well. (Meat and protein )
    If you can, shop around and buy a small parcel of land in an undeveloped area and just sit on it. Don't develope it right now. Just have it as a fall back for any reason.
    Start stocking up on firewood. It's a life saver during hard times.

The lists are endless but use your imagination. You'ld be surprised...
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

I'm plannin to buy up materials I need for my next few projects. The way prices are going, it'll be cheaper now than later.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    I'm plannin to buy up materials I need for my next few projects. The way prices are going, it'll be cheaper now than later.
    If you're just gonna blow money, buy a woodmizer or similar portable sawmill. We're in a building boom at the moment because of stupid low interest rates.... There is about to be some very hard and expensive lesson learned for folks.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I'm not blowing money. Don't have near enough for that. But I have been lookin at low end Wood mizers. Down side to the low end stuff is small diameter logs. I've got access to some nice poplars for the taking. But most all of them are 30+" diameter, some pushing 40. Gotta go up a few levels of Mizer to handle them.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13