Thread: Got it done

Default Got it done

Finally finally got my over the top bigger than queen sized down to zero degrees F Mammoth sleeping bag into the compression bag was like wrestling with a hippo in a Volkswagen beetle

Like stuffing 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack huh?

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

My son and I spent a few of his spring break in the public lands in New Mexico. Usually the early part of March.
    We were relic hunting and gold prospecting...about a 100 miles north of Las Cruses.
    Our first trip the temp. got just a lil nippy at night and gusty winds didn't help either.
    So before the second trip I went to Cabelas and bought a new sleeping bag suitable for the cool nights....I thought.
    When I bought the bag I thought it was a 20 degree one. I couldn't sleep in it or even on top of it......because it was a -20 degree bag.
    And yes we found gold...both trips. Combined it wasn't enough to buy a cheep six pack of beer but it was an experience I'll cherish.

Quote Originally Posted by CENTEXDUDE View Post
    My son and I spent a few of his spring break in the public lands in New Mexico. Usually the early part of March.
    We were relic hunting and gold prospecting...about a 100 miles north of Las Cruses.
    Our first trip the temp. got just a lil nippy at night and gusty winds didn't help either.
    So before the second trip I went to Cabelas and bought a new sleeping bag suitable for the cool nights....I thought.
    When I bought the bag I thought it was a 20 degree one. I couldn't sleep in it or even on top of it......because it was a -20 degree bag.
    And yes we found gold...both trips. Combined it wasn't enough to buy a cheep six pack of beer but it was an experience I'll cherish.
    Those are the best memories!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Worse had to get the two halves back together lol

LOL, I decked out in all that high tech ultra light stuff for my pack in hunts. Really like my bag by North Face made for REI. It's a Zero bag but had two layers on top. One layer is 40 bag, other layer is 20 bag, and combined they are zero bag. Still, a booger to get into compression bag even before the compression. My favorite though is the sleeping pad. has a pump to remove air if you have time and wiling to pump on it for an hour. Easier to just unplug, roll towards hole, unroll fold in half lengthwise, and again roll toward drain hole. Still a booger to get into compression bag.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields