Thread: IV Plates

Default IV Plates

First, I want to say hi to everyone here,glad to see a lot of you are still around.

My question is, back around the '09- 2012 era class IV plates were hard to get and very expensive. Question one is, was it illegal for civilians to have class IV plates?

Question two, what has changed that made class IV plates available and affordable now?

I bought a pair of IV ceramic from RMA Armor for just over $300 delivered to my door. These are 10x12 and weigh 8.3 lbs. If anyone knows more about the plates or the
    or the company, I'd appreciate any info. I checked out their website and they seem like good people out of Iowa. Their shipping and delivery was swift. But just to clarify I only have civilian level knowledge when it comes to body armor.
    I am not an armchair warrior, I just act like one.

Technology. Manufacturing has improved. polyethelyne and ceramic is cheap. And the steel armor plated drove the prices down.

I really need to get my plates that I made to Matt at Demo Ranch for him to test them out. They stopped the biggest round that Iíve got (.270) and were cheap to make.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

OMG, and I was reading into this some blue state was issuing covid "IV" plates to those who got the shot.... I need more sleep.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    Truth-Justice-&-the-AMERICAN-Way

Thanks driftz, your answer kind of matches what I'm seeing. I was looking into plates and I only went on one site at the time. The next time I went to Facebook, it was as if I unlocked the body armor shopping district. I actually had a lot of choices. Especially compared to ten years ago. I did the best research I could do with my limited knowledge in choosing. On the top three that made my criteria, all three had reasonable prices and were made in the US, so I went with the one with the fastest shipping. One of the three had a backlog of several weeks.

CAV, thanks for your reply. How did you make your plates? Also how big are they and how much do they weigh? I stated earlier that mine weighed a little over 8 lbs. Which were the $135 plates. They had one model that was a bit over 3 lbs at almost $1,000 per plate.

Honestly Iím not sure of how much they weigh. But, when I make them the weight can vary depending on how many layers are put into them. If I remember, Iíll weigh the plates that Iíve got today to see how heavy they are. Basically, they are a ceramic plate with other things to hold the ceramic in place after it gets hit. They use ceramic floor tiles, liquid nails, denim, and license plates. I tested a thin plate that had 2 ceramic floor tiles in it with a 9mm and the round was stopped by the first tile. Under the Projects sub forum here there are 2 threads about my DIY body armor, and one of those has a link to YouTube when I shot a 3 tile plate with my .270 deer rifle.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Beat bang for the buck vism polyethelene. About 175 a plate and light. Or ceradyne a out 250 a plate and as light as it gets. The ceradynes are what current seals and green berets are rocking.

Thanks everyone for the information. The DIY Body Armor threads were also very helpful along with the YouTube video.

https://agilitegear.com/collections/...one-body-armor

Best IV plates are not cheap. Most folks say that 40% of wounds are "friendly fire".The friendly fire issues is why they say wear balistics to counter act what your forces are carrying.

The ceradynes are awesome for the money.good enough for seal teams. I like s&s precision plate frames with he ceradynes plates. My favorite setup so far. Light weight and will not hold water. And I can wear it all day and not be bugged by it.