Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding my work get home bag

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    I keep a solar charger on my van dashboard. It also has a light.
    I have a Goal Zero solar panel and battery, but for EDC, I have a battery booster with cords for phone and flashlight/headlight, that has solar panel on it. 20 K unit charges a phone about 6 times. We tested all my batteries during Texas Snowmageddon.

I am looking for a wax canvas EDC backpack now, I've hung a nylon pack and my down puffy/hoody recently and tore holes in them, and want something more durable.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 03-03-2021 at 05:14 PM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Forgot to mention. I keep lighters in a ziplock bag. And tape the buttons open.
    Extra ammo...pssssssst. Look who your asking..lol
    I pocket carry a 5.11 3a flashlight. Glock 48 with 12 rd in and a spare mag. Esse zancudo floding knife. Wallet with ready man medical and fishing card.
    Socks..yep. They are in my big bob but not my ghb...so good catch.
    Was going to suggest a pocket pack of kleenex for use as tp but then I saw you said "mre" and figured you had that covered.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

LMAO Bruss
    =
    Make America under God Again
    Truth-Justice-&-the-AMERICAN-Way

For what ever reason I always drop about a dozen .22 rounds into a balloon and tie it off, drop it in the bag. I don't carry a fun in that caliber, but the rounds can be used for various different things. Trade them, use the powder to help start a fire, use the bulletin for a weight, use the case for a fishing Lure, use them for an alarm, etc. Several uses for the balloon as well.

Another thing I like to have in all my kits is deet
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

If i eat the mre's i dont have to worry about pooping for a few days...lol. The coffee and hot sauce are great too.

What's a fair price for a mre that is worth buying nowdays?

I got 12pk cases for 45$. There between $45 to 65 a case. Over that is stupid. Wise foods is good too. But mres pa k alot of calories in a small amount. Of food. Average like 1500 cal per mre.

Thanks, haven't bought any in a very long time.

I got 12pk cases for 45$. There between $45 to 65 a case. Over that is stupid. Wise foods is good too. But mres pa k alot of calories in a small amount. Of food. Average like 1500 cal per mre.
    The MREs now are pretty good. But the original ones...the ones in the dark brown package...some we okay...edible...almost. Others were...EEEEEWWWWWWW!!! Tried to feed one to my dog once. He sniffed it, then looked at me as if I'd just hurled a thousand insults at him...this right after he growled at me and bit me!

I do keep extra toilet papper in a ziplock bag. I have some flares. I have a matches the kitchen kind. I always keep several Mountain House meals in a bag in my car. I have a small alchol stove. A canteen empty. I have several shirts from work. I have Carhart Vest, and several jackets. One that is they standard Nylon with minimal insilation, but keeps the rain off and the wind from going through you. I also have an old biker style jakcet with liner. I keep a Mag light and a small streamlight penlight and it is bright. I keep several boxes of pistol ammo in an accesible place in a ziplock bag. I keep and leave a Glock Knife greased up and sharp in the box in back. I also keep a folding shovel. A small hathcet with a knife in the handle.
    My main carry all bag I keep extra socks and undies in there. My compass with pase counter. A Zippo lighter, some extra lighter fluid in a ziplock bag. I have a pocket knife on my most of the time its Auto, no more carring a Chris Reeves!! I might carrry metal beads on a cord. I always have a carry gun on my. I part of the time leave a cheap gun in car, within arms reach in its holster. Been contimplating getting me a Lever Rossi in same call as extra gun get it short strocked and pollished up a bit to have a truck pistol cal rifle. On my todo list when I fing a cheap one.
    During winter I use my Wiggies backpack in my go bag. I also have a large Kifaru backpack with etras gun bearer ect. I have my medical pack also stocked and set up for trauma and other issues.
    I have a good cook stove that is a multi fuel. Just other genreal stuff. '

I like the Mountain House better than the MRE's. MH was used for the LRRP troops in S.E.A.
    Just added new stuff to my bucket of get home stuff to car. New MH food favorite toy store had them for a better price than Bass Pro. I bought some. I let my girl pick out what she wanted for her car. She took the only checken and dumplings one....I'm very sad now...
    The shop also had large fire rods with the scraper attached by paracord less than $20 for them and I have been seeing them on Ebay for way more for the large size. I also picked up a couple of the speacial mix in the package to gureante a start a fire. Almost when and got the kerosine Jelly the make for the pellet stoves... Gave my lots of bad ideas...

If the bugs are bad I will add DEET to my stuff. Plus it makes good fire YMMV.
    Maybe a few other various odds and ends.