Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding my work get home bag

Default Rebuilding my work get home bag

I keep a ghb in my work van. It was a old haversack style back pack. Well it got wet when i was throwing it in my big flatbed and i forgot to grab it back out. So it sat in the tool box of the truck all weekend. Got a wiff of its moldy stank today. And decided im redoing my ghb
    So far i got
    Helikon tex edc bag.
    Esse4 knife zombie green. so i dont loose it.
    Mylar emergency bivy and tent.
    Grayl geopress water filter bottle.
    2 bottles water.
    2 bic lighters.
    All weather matches
    Pyro putty
    50 ft paracord
    Electric tape
    Ifac
    2 55 gal garbage bags
    Petzel headlamp
    Cheap harbor freight flashlight.
    2 mre's "broke down"
    Any you chaps have some brite ideas to add?

My worst case is a 100 mile walk. Witch is 2.5 days. Worst case 3 days.

Theres a snopeak canteen cup in there too.

firm believer that a GHB has to be extended to include bugging in at work >> sometimes it will be the smart move ....

If you have that far to walk then you need at bare minimum, a change of socks. You gotta keep your feet dry or bad things start to happen. Depending on your climate or the time of year you may also want a change of clothes in it along with a light weight blanket of some type.

One thing always happened to me when I was in Boy Scouts. My flashlight batteries drained at the worst possible moment. So a spare set of really good lithium replacement batteries might be in order.

Got any spare magazines or ammo for your EDC in there?

I always keep a lot of bottled water in my car, in the spare tire well which is out of the sun light. There is always more than what I think I may need. That way, should things go south, I can down a bottle or two before leaving to hydrate myself without touching the water in my GHB.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Thanks for this thread. It reminded me that I need to go through my GHB to clean it up, get rid of anything expired, and reasses what is in it.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

I'm in the process of redoing mine as well. I have a Fox Outdoor recon butt pack. Its somewhat like a small Alice pack in that it has a main compartment and three external pouches. It can be attached to a larger pack with PALS strips via the four sewn on molle straps, or attached to a pistol belt via the old Alice clips. Total capacity is 29.5 liters, or about 1800 CI. I have it on one of my GI pistol belts, and a shoulder harness attached to the belt. Its pretty well made, double stitching through out. It also has a smaller zipper pouch on the top, and the inside of the lid has a zipper compartment. It uses fastex buckles for closure. Some of you may want to google it and see what you think. I really like mine.The external pouches are sewn vertically up each side and the top and bottom are open so you can put somethng like an hatchet handle, or something, through them and carry it externally.

Driftz

That's a good loadout.
    Might be good to add a few small things. I need to re-do my kit too so here are some thoughts.

Bic lighters are great, but butane in them is succeptible to cold. Putting them next to skin fixes this. The flints do not work wet... if you can put them in a tube (maybe along with some tinder) like an old film canister or travel toothbrush container that could prevent tbem getting wet... and prevent the bugton getting pressed accidentally, run ing the fuel out.

Rain poncho (single use disposabls) and plastic pack cover... packs get HEAVY when wet. Your trash bags will probably work for this.

A water key for outdoor water spigots. Potentially very useful.

Megadittos to Cav - Clean dry socks in a ziplock baggie. Take care of the tootsies

Small portable radio, am/fm. Sometimes news on a developing situation helps inform your decisions on go-no go, or detouring around trouble. Here's one the size of a credit card, weighs 64 grams, powered by twin AAA batteries:
    J-777 Portable Pocket Radio AM FM Transistor Radio Battery Operated
    https://www.amazon.com/PRUNUS-Portab.../dp/B08531THP1

"Small items pack" - safety pin or two, couple of rubber bands, couple of paper clips and a few thumbtacks or push pins (push them into a piece of cork or styrofoam for transport) - crazy what you can McGyver together in a moment of need with a few little odds and ends. Consider a lockpick set if you have ability to use it and legality isn't an issue. You may need to "borrow" something or simply get indoors when life is on the line which can be returned when order resumes.

A universal cord/charger for your phone. Handy to have, service may still be available, and even if not there are a lot of useful tools on it like compass etc that are usable even without cell service.
    Last edited by bruss01; 03-03-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Forgot to mention. I keep lighters in a ziplock bag. And tape the buttons open.
    Extra ammo...pssssssst. Look who your asking..lol
    I pocket carry a 5.11 3a flashlight. Glock 48 with 12 rd in and a spare mag. Esse zancudo floding knife. Wallet with ready man medical and fishing card.
    Socks..yep. They are in my big bob but not my ghb...so good catch.

I keep a solar charger on my van dashboard. It also has a light.