Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMRS license.

Default GMRS license.

I知 going to get my GMRS license sometime this month . Or when I have the money.
    The hand held radios I have chosen are the BTECH V1 GMRS radios. From what I have read the BTECH V1 is programmed to transmit on GMRS only and it will receive on other frequencies. That way I can use it to monitor my local emergency services.
    Plus the NOAA weather service .
    I wanted to get the Wouxun KG805G but those are hard to get. Every time I have the money to buy one there out of stock.
    So I have chose the BTECH V1 . Also I can afford two of them for a little more then the cost of the Wouxun.
    Later on I知 going to build my base station at the house I will use the Midland MXT115.
    The plan is for us to be able to communicate on the 200 acres we live on . I live in hilly country with lots of trees so I知 guessing I知 going to have to build a couple simplex repeaters .. Before I get that much money into it I want to see what ranges we get with out a repeater. If a repeater is to be used I will set it up to where the base station can reach it . Then I will test where the people using hand held units need to be to reach each other and the repeater to base unit.
    What I知 trying to do or accomplish is that no matter where we are on the property we can communicate. It may take a couple of repeaters. I hope not but it may . Others in the group have GMRS radios plus there not into getting a HAM or the license. So we all agreed on GMRS . Most of them will have midland Mico mobile radios. Knowing most of them it will be the 5 watt models . I知 the owner of the property so I知 responsible for most of the communication set up. The others are bringing the UTVs and ATVs . So in SHTF situation we should have a decent community set up with communication . Luckily it痴 family. So if you guys have any suggestions for getting the most out of our GMRS communication set up I would like to here it.
    We have even thought about MURS as a back up and for house /camper set up also. I said earlier that the base station was going to be the Midland MXT115 that痴 only till I can afford the MXT400. Plus a way to power it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry this was meant for the communication section. Not sure how to move it.

Moved to Comms.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), 鼎ome and get them!

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

I'm currently a Ham General class and working on my Extra class ticket. I also have a GMRS license so that my kids who live about a mile from each other can communicate on my license. They don't want a HAM ticket, so I did it. Repeaters are pricey and have to be powered, but you might be able to accomplish it using cross band repeating.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

200 acres isn't huge.. Try the radios fist, you may be surprised.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Those radios operate in the UHF band of some 400 plus Mega Hertz. The antennas on them are not that effecient.

Had I those kinds of radios I would build myself a base station antenna and put it up high into tree and then use my walkie talkie as a base station via an antenna adapter.

I notice that those antennas will unscrew and I would get an adapter....to hook up the radio to a base station antenna and thus improve the efficiency of those rigs.

I have high powered ham mobile radios and base station antennas ..even SWR meters to read any mismatch....that can operate in the GMRS frequency bands.

My Baofeng radios will work in the GMRS/FRS frequencies and I can manually program them into my radios.

Almost all walkie talkies the range and antenna are marginal at best...even ham walkie talkies..

I extend the range on my walkie talkies by using a better screw in antenna...hooking it up to a magnetic mobile roof mount antenna, or to a base station antenna via an antenna adapter....

Or if need be go to the roof of a building or even a parking garage to get altitude..

Just some of the things you can learn to do to make your walkie talkies more efficient....useful....any walkie talkie with an antenna which can be unscrewed...and replaced with a better antenna. Nothing says you have to screw into it another walkie talkie antenna...it can be a base station antenna.

I am in the process of recharging my walkie talkie Baofeng radio battery from inside my car as I type this out now.

I will not buy a walkie talkie in which I cannot unscrew the antenna and screw in a more efficient antenna...it is my way.

Hope this helps some of the members here..

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 02-22-2021 at 01:38 AM.

Another option is 6M band (50MHz - 55MHz). It is on the low end of the old Broadcast VHF TV. It can be received Miles away and pushes out a ground wave, which can go around terrain. I use it to communicate to Mrs. Uncle, when I am out hunting or exploring.
    July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2020
    覧覧覧由IP USA覧覧覧

6 meters...wow!! I have 6 meters on my Icom 706 MK II and also on my FT 100 I run in my Truck.

I've only used it a few times...

I probably should explore 6 meters more than I currently do...and antennas for it are not that difficult to build...

Locally I've run 6 meters when I do...by tuning my 500 foot long wire loop.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

So I went with the BTech v1 GMRS I have 2 units now and Saterday I was playing with them and with everything being stock they did rather well. I had my wife take one and drive to a small town close to where we live . She was in the vehicle over a mile from me I could her her clear . She was almost to the near by town when she could not transmit or receive. We do live on top of a hill the weather was clear etc. I知 sure once the summer leaves start that will change the range . I also took a walk around a mile from the house and she was sitting inside and our transmissions were clear.
    So I think my plan is going to work out we shouldn稚 have problems communicating on our property. Once I get the base station set up family members and group members will be able to contact me with GMRS radios as soon as they hit the near by town . My next test is to see how far we get going the other way and how close to the town my son lives in .
    Same test will be done when I get a base station set up.

Our newly formed amateur radio club which is basically three guys, has decided to put up a repeater. We have access to 100' tower at awesome location with internet already at 50' height. We get the top and are putting in 2m analog, DMR, and a GMRS repeater.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields