Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering to myself.....

Default Wondering to myself.....

Am picking up news stories to the effect that many people down In the blackout affected Texas areas are getting flustered and down right fed up with the situation of no power.

Am asking myself if this will spawn a new generation or growth in the prepper movement...some more becoming awoke so to speak.

People awakening to the concept that they should look to more independence and self sufficiency from government and or industry if possible...to more independence and particularly in view of natural disasters wherein government and industry may be of little help.

I expect that where and when possible there has been a run on generators..and or people taking good measures to secure their generators.

Wondering about fuel availability without electricity to gas stations too.

We shall see.....

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 02-16-2021 at 07:18 PM.

I've read several stories the last couple days about just this thing. One thing that comes up over and over, of many to be sure, is the fact the wind generation stations are froze up, solar stations are snow covered, nat gas stations freezing up, even a refinery was freezing and was shut down. About the only thing running were nuc plants and coal plants.
    IMO this needs to go front and center in any discussion of the green new deal.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Am picking up news stories to the effect that many people down In the blackout affected Texas areas are getting flustered and down right fed up with the situation of no power.

Am asking myself if this will spawn a new generation or growth in the prepper movement...some more becoming awoke so to speak.

People awakening to the concept that they should look to more independence and self sufficiency from government and or industry if possible.and

I expect that where and when possible there has been a run on generators..and or people taking good measures to secure their generators.

We shall see.....

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Had a conversation with a friend about this very topic.

I believe some will awaken, those who still have the capacity to think for themselves, but , sadly, the liberal snowflake social justice warriors will simply pi$$ and moan and continue to suck the government tit when the power is restored.

Lots of gas stations out of gas. We've got plenty for the generator. Haven't lost,power yet, showing like crazy just west of us, so that's gonna be round 2. Pipes are unfrozen (for now). Had a fire burning since 5:36am today. I'm ready for bed.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Snowing not showing. Doh
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Snow might be a good thing, help insulate the ground and keep the pipes from freezing.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Bambam and others,

Had a conversation with a friend about this very topic.

I believe some will awaken, those who still have the capacity to think for themselves, but , sadly, the liberal snowflake social justice warriors will simply pi$$ and moan and continue to suck the government tit when the power is restored.
    I am thinking along similar lines as bambam here..

Ok...but so far ...no looting or such ....Portland/Seattle type two legged wildlife???

I keep thinking of that famous photo of the New Orleans Beer looter..

But so far none of that stuff??? Thinking Texans might handle that kind of stuff differently from New Orleans and that might prevent a lot of two legged wildlife.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelie.

Yeah a lot of us Texans don't take kindly to Ishmaelites running wild. TGM
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Gun-Man View Post
    Yeah a lot of us Texans don't take kindly to Ishmaelites running wild. TGM
    Amen....TGM.....Amen..

Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

CA has had "rolling blackouts" for a few years now.

The utility (Pacific Gas & Electric, or PG&E) was pocketing the funds from consumers, paying huge executive bonuses, and failing to properly maintain the aging infrastructure.

Then we had a couple of summers where wildfires costing billions in damage were started by that poorly maintained equipment. A lawsuit ensued... which PG&E lost, and had to pay damages. Billions, if I'm not mistaken.

You would expect light bulbs to come on over PG&E executive heads over this development... they did, but not the ones you might expect.

PG&E, instead of fixing all the old wiring and transformer stations, simply decided that when in their opinion fire danger was high, they would simply turn off the juice, so as not to be held responsible for starting a fire. So now, every late summer and fall, we get rolling blackouts where the power company just shuts off the power to paying customers... rather than re-structure their compensation system and maintain their equipment.

Looks like the same thing happened in TX... the systems there were supposed to be winterized after a cold weather incident in 2011... but "that costs money" so it hasn't happened. Now Texas is in the same boat with CA, you can't depend on the power company any more. They supply power when they feel like it, and spend money that should have been spent ensuring reliable service on other things.

Sad to see the US becoming a 3rd world country with only an intermittently available grid system.
    Last edited by bruss01; 02-18-2021 at 11:47 AM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking