Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Major SHTF winter storm for Texas 2-11 till 2-17, maybe longer

Here is another update.

To date, the last body count I heard was 80 people had died because of this storm.

ERCOT has now had 5 people resign, including the CEO.

The Public Utility Commission of Texas chair woman also resigned and actually encouraged others to do the right thing and resign as well.

Electric bills in Texas had been halted by the governor pending an investigation. My electric provider last week stated bills for our area are being sent out this week with that entire week of the disaster removed from the bill.

As of a couple of days ago the local news reported on a couple of apartment complexes that still had no water.

I pass by a Texas DPS office on an almost daily basis. The water lines for that building are exposed and have been leaking water ever since the big freeze.

Some pipe fittings are still in short supply and grocery stores are getting close but are still not back to normal.

Iíve been contacted by some family members to help guide them in setting up backup power for their homes. A lot of family and meteorologists are concerned about what this summer is going to bring. History has shown that when Texas has a big winter storm like this, we end up with bad spring time weather(severe storms, hail, and tornadoes) followed by a hot and dry summer. I pray that does not happen.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Here is another update.

To date, the last body count I heard was 80 people had died because of this storm.

ERCOT has now had 5 people resign, including the CEO.

The Public Utility Commission of Texas chair woman also resigned and actually encouraged others to do the right thing and resign as well.

Electric bills in Texas had been halted by the governor pending an investigation. My electric provider last week stated bills for our area are being sent out this week with that entire week of the disaster removed from the bill.

As of a couple of days ago the local news reported on a couple of apartment complexes that still had no water.

I pass by a Texas DPS office on an almost daily basis. The water lines for that building are exposed and have been leaking water ever since the big freeze.

Some pipe fittings are still in short supply and grocery stores are getting close but are still not back to normal.

Iíve been contacted by some family members to help guide them in setting up backup power for their homes. A lot of family and meteorologists are concerned about what this summer is going to bring. History has shown that when Texas has a big winter storm like this, we end up with bad spring time weather(severe storms, hail, and tornadoes) followed by a hot and dry summer. I pray that does not happen.
    We've already had a pretty good hail storm. Small at my house, but the neighborhoods I work in got golf ball size. Lots of roofers out running around. Glad my roof is hail resistant.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Well, hereís yet another side effect of the winter storm that we are now dealing with. Fuel shortages. It is being reported that pretty much no refineries that were shut down are back to 100% yet. Some are not even at 50% and others havenít fired back up yet at all!!! So, all the fuel that was in storage has been almost used up. Iím hearing diesel is in short supply mostly but there are numerous gas stations with bags over the handles due to not being able to refill their tanks.

Luckily, this should only last a week or two, hopefully. It all depends on how quickly the refineries can get back online.

Well, rolling blackouts almost happened again last night!!

ERCOT currently has several power stations offline for maintenance. A colt front moved into Texas but then it stalled out causing a surge in electricity demand. A call went out yesterday afternoon for Texans to conserve electricity, which we did. This prevented rolling blackouts from having to be implemented.

It's the "new normal" here in CA Cav. Our power company got sued when their poorly maintained equipment started fires that cost billions in damage and several lives were lost. The "lesson" they learned was not to keep their equipment maintain ed so that doesn't happen, but rather when the grass gets dry enough they just turn off the power so if there is a fire they won't be on the hook for it. True story. Power is apparently a privilege subject to the whims of the utility and their policies.

No way would I start a business here without backup power. Anyone with any brains here has gotten a generator after losing a freezer or two full of food or had to endure a 100+ day without so much as an oscillating fan to help keep cool.

Good luck with your situation, hope it turns out go be a rare thing and not a trend. Are they actually doing the upgrades that would have prevented the infamous outage?
    Last edited by bruss01; 04-14-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Well, they just said on the news that ERCOT almost had to issue another conserve electricity alert. They said half of the states power plants are currently offline for service.

Personally, I do not expect things to get better. My insider has told me that the work needed to harden the states electric grid is not something that can be done in a matter of days or weeks, but more like many many months to a year or more. The grid, much like in California, has been neglected for years and so the fix is not going to be quick, nor is it going to be easy, nor is it going to be cheap.

Bruss, I don't blame the power Co in Cal one bit. If I was going to be blamed for fires, I would eliminate that risk as well.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Bruss, I don't blame the power Co in Cal one bit. If I was going to be blamed for fires, I would eliminate that risk as well.
    I can see that side of the argument Flock. The utility is regulated, meaning they have to color inside some rigidly defined lines. That means there can be a squeeze between what you can charge customers vs what you spend on maintenance and upgrade of the infrastructure.

However, the approach they've taken here is passive aggressive - personally I believe it's intended to put pressure on the customers to badger their representatives to grant the power company to raise rates "so we can afford to keep our systems in repair so fires don't get started" and to pass some kind of qualified immunity for the utility that protects them from this kind of lawsuit.

The utility is a cash-cow - I mean how many businesses are there where your customer base is basically held hostage, you have a legally protected monopoly, and can throw your weight around and throw this kind of tantrum when faced with the not-unreasonable request to keep your equipment properly maintained ("proper" as defined by a disinterested 3rd party with expertise in the area).

I'd be fine with a reasonable rate hike if I knew it was actually going into the infrastructure and not into mega-million dollar bonuses for executives. I think most utility customers would as well. It beats losing a fridge full of food and 48 hours (or more) of no AC in 100 degree weather every time we hit a dry spell.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Wasn't the local gov keeping them from mowing, grubbing brush, etc.?
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    And by this same logic if the cops get sued because something undesirable happened during a response to a situation in progress, the cops can switch to "advisory only" 911 response (at least to the zip code where the lawsuit happened) and send an ambulance to the location after the situation has ended. There's already a court decision that says cops don't have an obligation to prevent crime/harm.

If current anti-law enforcement trends continue I could see something like that happening.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"There's a guy here trying to pay me with counterfeit money!"

"Thank you for calling... they should be advised that's illegal. If you can get their name and address we'd be happy to register a complaint."

"Aren't you going to come arrest him?"

"Our policy has been updated... our records indicate that when we do that, it subjects officers and the public to unreasonable risk of harm and subjects our agency to potential liability and damages. Thank you for your report and can we do anything else for you today? Do you think medical assistance will be required?"
    Last edited by bruss01; 04-23-2021 at 10:32 AM.