Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Major SHTF winter storm for Texas 2-11 till 2-17, maybe longer

My dad told me yesterday that regardless of the cost, he is getting a backup generator big enough to run his whole house installed along with a 250 gallon propane tank to run it. This was not just an inconvenience, it would have been fatal had my dad not have had a fireplace and a Dearborn heater.
    Be careful there... I had a co-worker who had a McMansion with a whole house generator. He and family sat out an ice storm in the dark because fuel consumption for the monstrous beast was too high. Be sure to check fuel consumption and consider an inverter generator that can vary speed according to load, if going that route. They cost more up front but you won't be reluctant to use it for fear of breaking the bank.
    my brother got a whole house propane powered genny.
    burned 400 gallons over the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Be careful there... I had a co-worker who had a McMansion with a whole house generator. He and family sat out an ice storm in the dark because fuel consumption for the monstrous beast was too high. Be sure to check fuel consumption and consider an inverter generator that can vary speed according to load, if going that route. They cost more up front but you won't be reluctant to use it for fear of breaking the bank.

you need to have a prep plan that you can deploy in degrees & progression - a one level plan that includes keeping a whole generator (any type fuel involved) running 24/7 for a lengthy SHTF period >>> serious NO GO !!!

if your grid down plan doesn't have a conservation aspect to it - reduce your living space to the minimum - have the necessary gear & prep supplies in stock to implement it - have different levels that take it from a short longevity SHTF to the extreme almost forever situation ....

one serious aspect of generator usage in a SHTF is the possible danger of drawing unwanted attention >>> fuel isn't going to last long in a serious SHTF - the area's running generator din will decrease with time - one running solo in a neighborhood will be like ringing the dinner bell ....

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Excellent advice, Bruss. That's just one of the options I'm considering. Before I lay the dollars out I'll do some investigating, see what is the most efficient and economical way to go. My house isn't a large on, only a bit over 1000 sq ft, but plenty big enouogh for me, so it isn't like I'm trying to supply power for a huge castle. Still, I want the greatest return for the dollars spent. And I'm not one who makes hasty decisions in panic. That can definitely lead to some financial woes. I always try to apply Davy Crockett's philosophy...be sure you're right, then go ahead. And since I no longer have my wife to discuss things with I usually consult my daughters and grand daughter for their thoughts now. Daughters are fifty and forty eight years old and grand daughter is thirty, and they're all some pretty wise cookies. Ain't no lemmings or dummies (chuckle) in this here little clan. I reckon you might could say we comprise our own little MAG.
    Last edited by beowulf; 02-19-2021 at 11:47 AM.

if your grid down plan doesn't have a conservation aspect to it - reduce your living space to the minimum - have the necessary gear & prep supplies in stock to implement it - have different levels that take it from a short longevity SHTF to the extreme almost forever situation ....

one serious aspect of generator usage in a SHTF is the possible danger of drawing unwanted attention >>> fuel isn't going to last long in a serious SHTF - the area's running generator din will decrease with time - one running solo in a neighborhood will be like ringing the dinner bell ....
    spot on

Just went into town again. Had to stop by the pharmacy to check on needed prescriptions, had to stop by the place where Iím supposed to get a brain scan done next week, stop by a couple of stores to see how bad things have gotten, and check to see if my nephew had to go to work.

Well, the amount of groceries on the shelves is worse than after a hurricane and much worse than the worse time last spring. Itís bad. A fast food place got broken into and food was stolen. Once we got 2 miles away from the house, we lost cell phone signal. The roads are good now, but gas is still in short supply unless you need 93 octane or diesel. The boil water notice is still in place.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Conservatives are to blame for Texas' woes ;

https://johnbwellsnews.com/radical-l...-across-texas/

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Conservatives are to blame for Texas' woes ;

https://johnbwellsnews.com/radical-l...-across-texas/
    If the left were not so pathetically, hopelessly, helplessly and terminally S-T-U-P-I-D...they would actually be funny. But there are so many of them they're like mosquitoes...constant pests and a serious PIA!! Where's my Black Flag bug spray?! OOPS!! That just sounds so racist. Better change it to Real Kill I suppose...NOOOOT!!!
    Last edited by beowulf; 02-19-2021 at 03:18 PM.

Gotta think Amish y'all. IMO if you're living in a sub-division you've already lost.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you'd have to have one hell of a battery set up - modern forced air furnaces have computer controlled blowers that are multiple speed and voltage - they kick up to 220V when necessary >>> you need "clean" steady power or chance blowing the electronics .....
    I've just completed a 36 hour test running my forced air central heat gas furnace which plugs into a wall outlet from my battery bank using the pure sine wave inverter. I put a Kill-A-Watt meter on the furnace to see how much power it consumed during that test. It used 870 watt hours during the test... the battery started at 100% and is reading 100% now at the close of day 2 after dipping into the 90's overnight... so I think maybe it's earned its new nickname "Helluva".

Here's the test: P27, post 268

https://www.whenshtf.com/threads/469...ace#post785957

In fairness there may indeed be systems out there for 21st century McMansions with exotic climate control setups... it's just that in all the places I've lived over the years, I have yet to see one in person. Pays to know what you have, and set up your preps accordingly. It's probably fair to say that MOST homes that most of us will find ourselves living with, won't have that problem to contend with.
    Last edited by bruss01; 02-19-2021 at 07:32 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Heat Pump
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.