Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Major SHTF winter storm for Texas 2-11 till 2-17, maybe longer

I disagree about cruz . anyone could pack the car and bounce to a warmer location on a whim. If it gets bad like that in ohio. I load up car and we roll to fl. Visit my buds. Hotels are cheap now..

My mom put it into perspective to all those other states telling Texas to quit whining.

We are used to it being 100 degrees hotter, no exaggeration. Letís see how you deal with temps of 110 degrees. Yeah, you would be complaining that your infrastructure isnít equipped to handle the weather either.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Sure wish I could help you all other than just pray.

I think everyone, not just in Texas, but EVERYWHERE, should consider doing what I did years ago. Have an electrician wire up an outlet for a generator, directly to your main breaker box. Then, buy a generator capable of running your whole house. Your electrician can help you with this , depending upon the size of your house. Never worry about a power outage again. Just remember to store enough gas to run it for at least a week, non- ethanol gas, keep it rotated so it's fresh. And you don't have to run it 24/7 to keep heat in the house and keep stuff frozen, conserves fuel.

Also , VERY important, remember that if the power goes out and you turn on your generator, throw the main breaker in the breaker box. Don't want electric running down the lines to electrocute some poor guy working on the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Sure wish I could help you all other than just pray.

I think everyone, not just in Texas, but EVERYWHERE, should consider doing what I did years ago. Have an electrician wire up an outlet for a generator, directly to your main breaker box. Then, buy a generator capable of running your whole house. Your electrician can help you with this , depending upon the size of your house. Never worry about a power outage again. Just remember to store enough gas to run it for at least a week, non- ethanol gas, keep it rotated so it's fresh. And you don't have to run it 24/7 to keep heat in the house and keep stuff frozen, conserves fuel.

Also , VERY important, remember that if the power goes out and you turn on your generator, throw the main breaker in the breaker box. Don't want electric running down the lines to electrocute some poor guy working on the lines.
    I've been considering a Generac big enough to run my entire house that runs off propane. Ties into the main breaker box, comes on automatically when commercial power is interrupted and goes off automatically when commercial power is restored. I'll need to find out more particulars on it though. And I'm with you. Been praying for everyone in the path of this thing.
    Last edited by beowulf; 02-18-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I've been considering a Generac big enough to run my entire house that runs off propane. Ties into the main breaker box, comes on automatically when commercial power is interrupted and goes off automatically when commercial power is restored. I'll need to find out more particulars on it though. And I'm with you. Been praying for evryone in the path of this thing.
    My good friend Kenny, God rest his soul, did that exact thing Beo. He loved it. Awesome if you are away from home when it happens. Mine isn't automatic, But if I'm away my brother takes care of things, but auto is nice if you don't have someone there to look after things.

My dad told me yesterday that regardless of the cost, he is getting a backup generator big enough to run his whole house installed along with a 250 gallon propane tank to run it. This was not just an inconvenience, it would have been fatal had my dad not have had a fireplace and a Dearborn heater.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    .09 cents per kwh is about what we pay, are you running a factory to burn $200 per day? That's 222,222 kwh per day or like having 100,000 100W light bulbs on. Did I misunderstand something?
    Nope we went from 9 cents per kWh to 9 dollars per kWh overnight.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Man that's rough and probably impossible for a lot of folks. My math was a wee off lol should have said 100 bulbs. I sure hope y'all get some relief.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Well, my power generation source was 100% right. Texas was just moments away from a total grid collapse that would have taken MONTHS to recover from!! Imagine rolling blackouts lasting till the summer time.

Texasí power grid was ďseconds and minutesĒ away from a catastrophic failure that could have left Texans in the dark for months, officials with the entity that operates the grid said Thursday.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02...outages-ercot/

Edit;

It appears as though we arenít completely out of the woods just yet. According to the ERCOT app that Iíve got on my phone, ERCOT is still requesting Texans conserve electricity. Later today the projected electricity demand exceeds generating capacity, so another round of rolling blackouts may be necessary unless more generating capacity is brought back online or enough people decrease power consumption.
    Last edited by 91CavGT; 02-19-2021 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I've been considering a Generac big enough to run my entire house that runs off propane. Ties into the main breaker box, comes on automatically when commercial power is interrupted and goes off automatically when commercial power is restored. I'll need to find out more particulars on it though. And I'm with you. Been praying for everyone in the path of this thing.
    Be careful there... I had a co-worker who had a McMansion with a whole house generator. He and family sat out an ice storm in the dark because fuel consumption for the monstrous beast was too high. Be sure to check fuel consumption and consider an inverter generator that can vary speed according to load, if going that route. They cost more up front but you won't be reluctant to use it for fear of breaking the bank.

As people in TX are now realizing, you can control what you buy something for today... you can't control what it costs to operate something tomorrow. Just saw a blurb that with skyrocketing electricity costs (due to shortage) it now costs $9 grand to charge up a Tesla. How many Texas Teslas do you think are sitting idle and uncharged today? You don't want that to be you & your generator someday.
    Last edited by bruss01; 02-19-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking