Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Major SHTF winter storm for Texas 2-11 till 2-17, maybe longer

Should've asked for frozen pipe coverage, being in that part of Texas they would have jumped on it. Lol
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

4 ERCOT board members to resign over this debacle. Here’s the crazy thing about this, none of the 4 live in Texas!!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    4 ERCOT board members to resign over this debacle. Here’s the crazy thing about this, none of the 4 live in Texas!!
    They said today we were 4 min 37 seconds from a TOTAL grid down that could have lasted months. That's sounds fun.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

something that has never been answered - and seems to have been answered thru this crisis >>> anyone that knows anything about the grid down SHTF possibilities was aware of the TX grid independence - always wondered if there was a transfer link of any kind into the rest of the neighboring national grid - since I didn't hear squat nothing about extra purchased power - I guess there's no linkage possible ....

we have several local "peaker" electric generating plants that are strategically sited over the propane pipelines and under the transcontinental transmission lines >> only kick on when the electric spot market hits a determined $$$$ making mark - sounds crazy but they are money makers

There are ties to the Eastern Interconnection and to New Mexico. New Mexico was having its own issues with weather related shut downs.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Quote Originally Posted by jdh View Post
    There are ties to the Eastern Interconnection and to New Mexico. New Mexico was having its own issues with weather related shut downs.
    Oklahoma briefly had rolling blackouts as well. I don’t know how Arkansas and Louisiana fared.

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    They said today we were 4 min 37 seconds from a TOTAL grid down that could have lasted months. That's sounds fun.
    As my power generation insider told me, if the operators had let it get that far, substations and power generating facilities themselves would have taken on severe permanent damage. The kind of damage that requires major components to be replaced, but the last time we talked about this scenario(a few years ago), there were not enough replacement parts on hand to restore power quickly. This is why it would take months, quit literally, to restore power. My insider told me that a VERY large number of replacement parts are not made in the USA anymore and this could be our Achilles heel. I’ll give y’all one guess as to what country makes these parts.

Hypothetically, if the worst case scenario would have happened then this would be devastating for not just Texas, but for a large portion of the surrounding states as well. Currently, there is an estimated 29.8 million people that live in Texas. Even if 1/3 of our population could not or did not want to leave with an extended months long power outage, that would mean 20 million “refugees” so to speak. Could our surrounding states infrastructure(electric, water, sanitation, agriculture, food, ect) handle that kind of mass exodus? And what would happen to the price of gas with all of the petrochemical plants shut down on our coast?

It would be devastating to this country should the power grid go down.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

This is exactly what I don't get. No administration wants to address EMP, or replacing large transformers, that have to be replaced from China (hahaha) or Germany. FEMA (or some gvnmt entity) should stock this stuff. Achilles heal indeed. I'm sure our adversaries are aware of this, why no action. I would have thought PT would have addressed this, no need to involve the group of baboons in this decision.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    Truth-Justice-&-the-AMERICAN-Way

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    This is exactly what I don't get. No administration wants to address EMP, or replacing large transformers, that have to be replaced from China (hahaha) or Germany. FEMA (or some gvnmt entity) should stock this stuff. Achilles heal indeed. I'm sure our adversaries are aware of this, why no action. I would have thought PT would have addressed this, no need to involve the group of baboons in this decision.

Very good questions indeed. To add to this as well, both Russia and China have had access to our grid for at least a few years now. Full control of the grid is connected to the internet. Through those controls, permanent damage of physical components can be done at multiple locations across the US. Basically, it would end up having the same effect as an EMP on our electric grid, it just wouldn’t effect anything not plugged in.

Well, a little over a week since the last of the snow melted. This morning at a north San Antonio Sam’s Club, the line at the door waiting for the store to open stretched across the entire parking lot, which would be about 1/8 of a mile. They had no bottled water and low stock on a lot of items. Went to HEB(local grocery store) and they did not have any bottled water either. There was not too many things out of stock, but this was early in the day and most of the shelves had very little stock on them.

Still have a few coworkers that don’t have any running water at their houses. Primarily due to either a lack of pipe fittings or waiting on appointments with plumbers.