Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Major SHTF winter storm for Texas 2-11 till 2-17, maybe longer

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    great stories
    good on you guys
    now that you have a listening audience of those you helped thru their crisis - time to take the next step and do some prepper education with them

Yes. Now they have seen first hand the importance of being prepared. The seed has been planted, now we need to help them grow.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

you need to help in a natural disaster SHTF - just common sense >>> but you also need to keep your prepping OpSec in mind - there's a limit to everything - can't let the neighborhood know that you're ready to exist on your own for months on end - and you absolutely need to resist the urge to be Mr Prepper - Mr Wizard - Mr Fix It All ...

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you need to help in a natural disaster SHTF - just common sense >>> but you also need to keep your prepping OpSec in mind - there's a limit to everything - can't let the neighborhood know that you're ready to exist on your own for months on end - and you absolutely need to resist the urge to be Mr Prepper - Mr Wizard - Mr Fix It All ...
    Yep, I gave the neighbor probably enough wood for 1/2 a day, she was gonna come get it, but nobody needs to see my wood stack. I delivered. Backyard is pretty secure, but the generator is cable locked to the deck. We and the across the street neighbor are the only people here with snow shovels, they're from Chicago and brought it with them, we just found ours on clearance years ago and brought it home. I keep a bundle of extra insulation in the attic storage, I've finally gotten into it and topped off a few pipes where the insulation had settled in the attic. There's none on the shelf anywhere here.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

well said

Well, a week ago today I awoke to a low temperature of 9 degrees. Just 7 days later and right now, a little after 1 pm, the outside temp is 74 degrees! An increase of 65 degrees. 74 is pretty normal for us which helps to explain why our infrastructure could not handle 9 degrees.

The governor here in Texas, Greg Abbot, has halted electric bills for now until things can be looked into. My electric provider(CPS) has stated the only assistance they will give is to spread out the bill among the next 12 bills.

The boil water notice at my location has now been lifted. Got to work this morning for the first time in just over a week and there are a LOT of people with major pipe damage, but plumbers are all booked up. Now I am also hearing about shortages in pipe and pipe fittings. It seems as though if your house has PEX water lines then you are ok. But if it has PVC or CPVC then you had problems. All of the people in my family that had no problems had PEX but everyone that had pipe problems had something else.

Next thing we will probably start hearing about is insurance companies denying water damage claims because homeowners didnít have flood insurance. That or a rash of suspicious house fires after claims are denied.

Pex will expand greatly, the fittings will still Crack pretty easy. CPVC holds up just a tad better than copper. Stock will be back after the shipping pile up is cleared.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Pex will expand greatly, the fittings will still Crack pretty easy. CPVC holds up just a tad better than copper. Stock will be back after the shipping pile up is cleared.
    . We use home runs and as few fittings as possible for this reason. When we Tee off the lines it's always an interior "hot" wall. I've never had a pex fitting break from freezing, but I've had cracked ones show up with no explanation at all and do major damage.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Next thing we will probably start hearing about is insurance companies denying water damage claims because homeowners didnít have flood insurance. That or a rash of suspicious house fires after claims are denied.
    craziest azz thing I ever heard - have some areas that began to flood on a more regular basis (new housing changed flood plain) - homeowners rebuilt thru flood insurance a few times - then the insurance started to deny the flood insurance claims - took the high $$$$ premiums without a problem - "known hazard"

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    craziest azz thing I ever heard - have some areas that began to flood on a more regular basis (new housing changed flood plain) - homeowners rebuilt thru flood insurance a few times - then the insurance started to deny the flood insurance claims - took the high $$$$ premiums without a problem - "known hazard"

Many years ago at one of my previous homes, our insurance company admitted to us that we needed specific coverage to have things covered. If we did not have flood coverage then they would not cover flood damage from busted water pipes. They were VERY specific on what they would and would not cover. So the great rate that they advertised covered the state minimums but didnít cover much at all when you really got down to it.