Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Major SHTF winter storm for Texas 2-11 till 2-17, maybe longer

So we are back paying 2.7 cents per kWh. + the "delivery fee" tax of 3.99 cents kWh Weird how suddenly it's really cheap again huh? Still cold here, so can't figure that out except somebody at the state rgualtory commission got caught being corrupt, and is trying to make it up to us. It was as low as .7 cents fee kWh for several hours today.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Good to hear ak.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

The San Antonio Water supplier(SAWS for short) sent out a message to all of its customers that on next months bill, if it is higher than last months bill then just pay last months payment again and they will accept that payment to consider your account paid in full. CPS(local energy provider) had a press conference yesterday morning and a reporter asked if they would be following SAWS in their help given to their customers. Their response was basically, no. Electricity generation is different than providing water so we arenít going to be assisting anyone with their bills.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Went to Samís and Walmart and Target looking for milk. Nada. Curiously enough, sugar and flour was also pretty much non-existent just like it was in March last year. My wife actually made a comment saying how there was more on the shelves in March last year than there is now.

Boil water notice is still in effect. Cell signals seem to be better today. People are still freaking out due to very little food being available in grocery stores. I guess I need to go ahead and open up a big container of dehydrated milk.

One bit of good news though comes from my neighborhood. They have a Facebook page and my wife tells me a lot of people have been helping each other. We gave some eggs and butter to my wifeís friend who lives in the same neighborhood as us and my wife invited a coworker of hers to come to our house to take a shower and have a warm meal since her water and electricity are still out. She ended up staying most of the day.

Also, notice how there are no stories about looting. Yeah, we here in Texas donít take kindly to looters.

Boil water notice is still in effect. Cell signals seem to be better today. People are still freaking out due to very little food being available in grocery stores. I guess I need to go ahead and open up a big container of dehydrated milk.
    open the powdered milk, this isn't an EMP - you will be able to replenish it in a few weeks.

One bit of good news though comes from my neighborhood. They have a Facebook page and my wife tells me a lot of people have been helping each other. We gave some eggs and butter to my wifeís friend who lives in the same neighborhood as us and my wife invited a coworker of hers to come to our house to take a shower and have a warm meal since her water and electricity are still out. She ended up staying most of the day.
    stupendous.
    neighbors helping neighbors post shtf -that's a great example

That's why I prep... To keep on keeping on and help others to too if possible. You can't help if you need help.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Will definitely be opening the powdered milk. That is the whole reason why I have it. So might as well open one of them up, then place an order to replace it.

So out of my parents and brothers(a total of 7 households), only 2 of us did not loose power or water, 4 have burst pipes, 2 of those needs MAJOR pipe repair work(like all of the water lines under a house replaced), and this is a common problem. With thousands of busted pipes, there just arenít enough plumbers nor spare parts to get them back up and running in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    That's why I prep... To keep on keeping on and help others to too if possible. You can't help if you need help.

Same here. I have elderly neighbors that are not ready for these things. I started with three full 20# propane tanks.Provided them with a radiant heater that fits on propane tank. They had four tanks all empty, so I gave them one of mine. 18 hours later they ran it empty, so stole a partial tank, and then another from another absentee neighbor. By day two I had to go find propane. sat in line for 3 hours but got them filed. All in, I used 1 1/2 tanks. They used 5. They had no food and ran out of booze. Had to make run for them once for booze, and another for ice, but only food they got was what we provided, cooking in fireplace, and on my little MSR Pocket Rocket backpack stove.
    Turned wife on to Mountain House for an easy meal.

interesting scenario. Got myself a Honda 3000 generator for Christmas, took out of the box, but decided to not run it because I didn't want to deal with gas in tank, Fast forward to power outage. Started Sunday morning at 1:00 am and ended Thursday night about 8:30. So went out to fire up generator. First needed 10-30 oil and only had 40 wt, so used that. Then would not crank, and had to connect battery. So now to cranks but will not fire.Figured maybe cold, so waited until I could get hold of some starting fluid. Still would not fire so checked and plug wire cap was broken and not connecting. Tube of Crazy Glue I keep in FAK, and some Duct Tape and we are running.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Went to Samís and Walmart and Target looking for milk. Nada. Curiously enough, sugar and flour was also pretty much non-existent just like it was in March last year. My wife actually made a comment saying how there was more on the shelves in March last year than there is now.

Also, notice how there are no stories about looting. Yeah, we here in Texas donít take kindly to looters.
    My neighborhood has always been really great about helping each other, this storm really showed who we can all count on. Lots of people learned some hard lessons, those of us that prepared were able to help soften the harsh reality. We had a neighbor who has never used their fireplace in 6 years, we walked them thru opening the flue and I made sure they knew to move anything combustible away from the fireplace. They also came over and heated up food, and picked up coffee in the mornings. They're from Korea, so I guess fireplaces aren't really a thing there? They got power back faster than others and went to work helping whoever they could. Neighbor lady across the street called my wife and asked if I could come help her figure out why the smoke detectors were going off... (I thought it might be a low battery since the power was out) I walk in the house and find it's the carbon monoxide detector... I smell smoke, but the fireplace is clean, like VERY clean. I asked if they burned something, and she says "we had a fire but it was too smoky so we put it out" they didn't know they had to open the flue, and didn't know what carbon monoxide is. I got dizzy in that house in just a few minutes. Once again, not from US, and probably never built a fire in her life. Husband is pretty capable but he's working out of town. Fixed that issue, gave them wood and taught to start a fire. We've been very lucky with our neighbors.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

great stories
    good on you guys
    now that you have a listening audience of those you helped thru their crisis - time to take the next step and do some prepper education with them