Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Major SHTF winter storm for Texas 2-11 till 2-17, maybe longer

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Not to mention ercot raised the wholesale power rate 9000% since Friday. We pay an average of 8-10 cents per kWh with our provider most months since we have a wholesale provider and a rate that floats... $500 to heat the house YESTERDAY. all of the fixed rate providers have put a moratorium on new customers, so we can't even switch. Guess who is gonna freeze tonite? This guy.
    That should be illegal.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Yep, but it is happening. Supply and demand.

The Wholesale Price of Electricity Spikes 10,000% in Texas Power Outage
    https://www.thestreet.com/mishtalk/e...s-power-outage

There are numerous articles that basically state the same thing.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

We have lost water pressure. It is barely trickling.

Cell phone tower backup power must be running out. Our cell phones keep going in and out of service. Cant hardly text at all and calls arenít going through.

Keep in mind, we still have 2 more rounds of winter weather before we start to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Cell phone tower backup power must be running out. Our cell phones keep going in and out of service. Cant hardly text at all and calls arenít going through.

Keep in mind, we still have 2 more rounds of winter weather before we start to recover.
    Rolling blackouts hitting the towers. We swapped electric providers, they won't switch us till Monday so gonna be a cold few days in my house. Down to 5.9 cents per kWh + delivery of 3.9 cents. Went ahead and did a 12 month so if we get the green new deal, we don't get too screwed.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Dang I'd much rather be without power than without water. Prayers for all you guys .

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Dang I'd much rather be without power than without water. Prayers for all you guys .
    I can be warm with out running water. Much rather have electricity. We saw the frozen pipes coming, so we filled a tub for manual flushing the toilets. Ground is a little too hard to dig a hole today. Lol
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

For Texans whose power is still out, odds are it is unlikely to come back on today.

Most Texas households without power won't be restored today
    https://abc13.com/texas-power-grid-o...outs/10344285/
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Neighbors in the same situation? If so, the mains could be freezing up. Otherwise, check all your spigots... you may have bits of ice clogging the valve on the faucet you checked, or building up in the distribution line to that faucet.

Could also be that the municipal system is unable to pump enough. This strikes me as less likely because municipal water systems typically have pretty good backups. Still possible tho.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
    Neighbors in the same situation? If so, the mains could be freezing up. Otherwise, check all your spigots... you may have bits of ice clogging the valve on the faucet you checked, or building up in the distribution line to that faucet.

Could also be that the municipal system is unable to pump enough. This strikes me as less likely because municipal water systems typically have pretty good backups. Still possible tho.

We got an automated call from the water company. Extended rolling blackouts have caused the water company to use up all of its backup capabilities. Everyone in our neighborhood is experiencing the same thing.

Between our water storage and our neighbors water storage(my mother-in-law lives next door to us) we currently have 125 gallons of liquid water that can be used. Not only that, but I have a large DIY water filtration system that can be put into use to filter melted snow if we need to. We will easily outlast others in our neighborhood if the need arises.