Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Major SHTF winter storm for Texas 2-11 till 2-17, maybe longer

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Woke up this morning to 6” of powder snow with drifts of over 1’ deep. It is 8 degrees outside with the sun shining.
    Pretty much the same over here in the far eastern Austin suburbs.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Woke up this morning to 6” of powder snow with drifts of over 1’ deep. It is 8 degrees outside with the sun shining. Local news had one of their people reporting off of a busy local highway(281). During the entire 3 minute report, there was only 1 vehicle that drove by on the highway.

Rolling blackouts are happening. Out of the 12.5 million customers in the state, 2.5 million currently have no power from either rolling blackouts or due to power out from the weather. https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

The high today is supposed to be in the 20’s and the low tonight back in the single digits. Tomorrow it is supposed to get above freezing but another round of winter weather is due to come through on Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. So we still have another 2 days at least before we start to recover from this.

All cold water pipes frozen this am when I got up. I've gotten the master tub, shower, and 1 vanity of the 2 as well as the toilets and kitchen up and running. Guest bath and half of master bath still frozen. Half my neighborhood hasn't had power since midnight, so we've got the generator ready just in case.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

ERCOT has put out a press release. Part of the press release states the following;

There is now over 30,000 MW of generation forced off the system.

Current production capacity is only 51,000 MW of power. So basically, over 1/3 of the electrical production is off line right now at a time when we need it the most. This is VERY bad seeing how we still have 48 hours or so of this winter storm left to go.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

ERCOT has put out a press release. Part of the press release states the following;

Current production capacity is only 51,000 MW of power. So basically, over 1/3 of the electrical production is off line right now at a time when we need it the most. This is VERY bad seeing how we still have 48 hours or so of this winter storm left to go.
    Round 2 coming Wednesday for us in dfw. Gonna be warmer, but still below freezing.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

This is a statement from the CEO of ERCOT;

The CEO of Texas' Electric Reliability Council of Texas, better known as ERCOT, announced Sunday that the supply of natural gas to power plants was limited, and half of the system's wind turbines had frozen, keeping at least 12k megawatts offline. ERCOT has a grid condition alert system that is now in 'conservation alert' status as consumption spikes across the state

Add to that all of the solar panels that are covered with snow and you have a huge deficit in power generating capability. Demand is always higher in the evenings before people go to bed so expect the rolling blackouts to not only to continue but to get more frequent.

We're still good. Not even a brown out occurring but we are on a different power source. It's independant. I hope it holds. It's basically it's own power station to service the rural areas it serves. The larger power of our system has been upgraded this past year so maybe that's why
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

We rely on hydro and nuclear reactors, our biggest concern is ice taking out trees and lines. It's ok for now temps in the 20's and dropping, it actually started raining a bit ago but has now turned to sleet.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Heads up my Texas friends. The Texas electric grid is very near total system collapse according to my energy provider insider. Rolling blackouts and system outrages are not decreasing the load on the grid enough and tonight could be colder than last night. Prepare now while you can.

Heads up my Texas friends. The Texas electric grid is very near total system collapse according to my energy provider insider. Rolling blackouts and system outrages are not decreasing the load on the grid enough and tonight could be colder than last night. Prepare now while you can.
    Not to mention ercot raised the wholesale power rate 9000% since Friday. We pay an average of 8-10 cents per kWh with our provider most months since we have a wholesale provider and a rate that floats... $500 to heat the house YESTERDAY. all of the fixed rate providers have put a moratorium on new customers, so we can't even switch. Guess who is gonna freeze tonite? This guy.

The grid is still in VERY rough shape. Maximum output seems to be stuck at 46-48 MW right now while if everything were up and running the total system capacity is around the 75-80 MW range. Wind turbines are frozen and solar panels are covered in snow, they are not so maintenance free like we are lead to believe.

My dad and step mom lost power yesterday morning and their power has stayed off since then. They have a fireplace and a Dearborn heater that my dad put in years ago so they are able to maintain 58 degrees in their living room while it is single digits outside. Their water pressure has also really decreased. Most likely from a water main break somewhere, or water lines that are freezing up.

My mom and step dad lost power yesterday mid day. Last night they abandoned their house for their RV. They are able to maintain 50-55 degrees in the RV. My step dad went into their house this morning to check on some of their dogs and it was 39 degrees in the house. It’s almost a guarantee that their water lines will be frozen.

LOTS of people in a very bad state right now, and the winter weather is not over yet. There are still 2 more rounds of winter precipitation coming(one round on Wednesday night and the next on Thursday night) so we are not out of the woods yet. Conservatively speaking, 1/3 of the whole state of Texas is without power.