Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Major SHTF winter storm for Texas 2-11 till 2-17, maybe longer

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Whatever happened to Texasskeeter ?
    I'm pretty sure cammie gave him the boot
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Several major interstate highways in Texas over the last few hours have been closed due to severe ice, then reopened after ice trucks sprayed them down only to be closed down again later. They just canít keep up, and the bad stuff hasnít even hit yet.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    Several major interstate highways in Texas over the last few hours have been closed due to severe ice, then reopened after ice trucks sprayed them down only to be closed down again later. They just canít keep up, and the bad stuff hasnít even hit yet.
    You guys are getting hit hard. We had just a little freezing rain this morning and it was slicker than penguin crap on an iceberg. Stay safe Cav.

We just not used to this stuff, and ilequipped. Our ice patrol consists of dump trucks with spreaders on back. In my county we have a major RM road that has not been touched yet with sand or spray, and we on day two below zero after an inch of precipitation mostly as sleet, but some rain. My daily commute is across two bridges 1/4 mile long.

Pool heater running non stop losing the battle. I may have to cover it to preserve some heat, I guess you call it. Dropped boat into lake because that water about 50 so will radiate some warmth into hull, but also put some Christmas lights in the motor hatch to help some.Fully expect some blackouts, my heat pump hardly quit running for several days now. Fireplace a little heatalator insert POS, that hardly does squat. Too small for a decent fire, before it starts smoking the house, so then close glass doors and then not much heat out. Fan blows very little.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

For the first time ever, I went to winterize my sprinkler system. Well, unfortunately every video I found out there shows a completely different system then what we have. Everything in this system is below ground except the sprinkler heads and all of the main valves are under a flimsy plastic cover in the front yard. Got the water shut off to the system, the drain valves cracked open, and I activated the system and activated every section for 10 minutes. This allowed a little water to drain out of every section. Hopefully that is enough to prevent cracking of pipes. Who knows.

Well, just a couple of minutes ago snow started to show up on radar about 50 miles SOUTH of me, and I live off of I-10 in south Texas!!! This snow is heading north and appears to be spreading at each refresh of the radar.

For the first time ever, I went to winterize my sprinkler system. Well, unfortunately every video I found out there shows a completely different system then what we have. Everything in this system is below ground except the sprinkler heads and all of the main valves are under a flimsy plastic cover in the front yard. Got the water shut off to the system, the drain valves cracked open, and I activated the system and activated every section for 10 minutes. This allowed a little water to drain out of every section. Hopefully that is enough to prevent cracking of pipes. Who knows.

Well, just a couple of minutes ago snow started to show up on radar about 50 miles SOUTH of me, and I live off of I-10 in south Texas!!! This snow is heading north and appears to be spreading at each refresh of the radar.
    Next door neighbor growing up owned a sprinkler company. Never saw a frozen sprinkler pipe my whole life in any temp. There's no need to winterize as long as you're not running it. Water off is a good idea.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Well, it has started. It is early according to the NWS but it is right on time according to some of the consistent weather models. Half an hour ago our light freezing drizzle that didnít show up on radar transitioned into light freezing rain that is heavy enough to show up on radar. My shed has icicles coming off of the roof and everything in the back yard is now covered in ice.

Just read this on a weather message forum that I follow;

Police scanner out of San Antonio reporting multiple accidents on bridges and overpasses. Injuries. Roads being shut down. Have heard 10 accident reports in last 20 minutes. The freezing rain is headed North up the I-35 corridor into Austin and the Hill Country.

To add to that, got an alert from a local news outlet that stated there has already been a vehicle related fatality tonight that was caused from ice.

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Next door neighbor growing up owned a sprinkler company. Never saw a frozen sprinkler pipe my whole life in any temp. There's no need to winterize as long as you're not running it. Water off is a good idea.
    Thanks for the info AK!! That makes me feel a little more relaxed about it all.

Well, it has started. It is early according to the NWS but it is right on time according to some of the consistent weather models. Half an hour ago our light freezing drizzle that didnít show up on radar transitioned into light freezing rain that is heavy enough to show up on radar. My shed has icicles coming off of the roof and everything in the back yard is now covered in ice.

Just read this on a weather message forum that I follow;

To add to that, got an alert from a local news outlet that stated there has already been a vehicle related fatality tonight that was caused from ice.
    I turned the scanner on at 8 this morning, it is 11 now. I've heard 12 dispatches for wrecks. Two were rolled over semi, several car vs tree, and a bunch of spins into guard rails on icy bridges.

Son got rear ended on his way to work. Good thing he was in the Suburban not his little car. The other driver took off. Son gave his in car video to DPS. Somebody is about to get an unpleasant visit from a Trooper.

Unless you have to go somewhere important just stay home for awhile.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

I just took my nephew to work. He moved here from Colorado and doesnít see what the big fuss is all about. He is too young to understand, and it appears as though there are a lot of people out there new to the state that donít understand either.

In a first, the ENTIRE state of Texas is now under a winter storm warning, along with all of Oklahoma, all of Arkansas, and a rather large chunk of Louisiana, Tennessee, and a few other states too. I canít ever remember a single winter storm warning being this large

Here in South Texas, we are getting a lot of heavy drizzle again. The air temp is 29 degrees and all of the roads are wet. As soon as the temp starts to drop this afternoon into the low 20ís, everything is going to instantly freeze. That sudden transition is going to cause a lot of wrecks. ERCOT(Energy Reliability Council of Texas) sent out an alert earlier asking Texans to conserve electricity. This is not a good sign considering temps across the state are set to still drop 10-20 degrees from where they are at right now.