Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creation of HAM "not a club" club

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel. MD View Post
    Try and find a radio, made by anyone, in commercial sale in the US that is not at least 50% (if not 95%) Chinese sources parts. That includes Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood Amateur radios, and even Motorola and Harris commercial and amazingly expensive radios.

And if Baofeng can build and sell a dual band FM for $25, why cannot Icom?
    Slave labor.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Quote Originally Posted by jdh View Post
    Slave labor.
    Any radio assembled in China is assembled with slave labor. The only question is how much the company makes off the sale.

And while we're at it, why is it that Baofeng or any of the other 'chinabox' radios aren more technically advanced, and introduce new tech more rapidly than the big names?
    Good medicine in bad places

Any radio assembled in China is assembled with slave labor. The only question is how much the company makes off the sale.

And while we're at it, why is it that Baofeng or any of the other 'chinabox' radios aren more technically advanced, and introduce new tech more rapidly than the big names?
    Are or Aren't?
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Yea, it's funny those that turn up their noses at a Chinese radio but fine with anHecho en Mexico sticker on the side. Like I said, politics on this issue don't bother me, I just want to talk on radio and get others to, as well. We can hash out American made radios later, lets just get the ticket and go.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by jdh View Post
    Are or Aren't?
    Aren't.

How long does it typically take for them to incorporate things like standardized data ports instead of platform specific? Bad enough when the standardized port was serial but how many still lack USB?

Aren't.

How long does it typically take for them to incorporate things like standardized data ports instead of platform specific?

As soon as they can steal or reverse engineer somebody else's IP.

Gentlemen....

By Fidel MD,
    Try and find a radio, made by anyone, in commercial sale in the US that is not at least 50% (if not 95%) Chinese sources parts. That includes Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood Amateur radios, and even Motorola and Harris commercial and amazingly expensive radios.

And if Baofeng can build and sell a dual band FM for $25, why cannot Icom?
    Agree with Fidel MD here..

In case no one told you..the main competition has for years and years and years now been in labor...not in raw materials and or transport..but in labor.

Not sure what some of you are thinking here. Are you people stupid????

Wake up....what are some of you thinking here...

You're worried about Chinese Labor..???
    What do you think is going to happen when Biden and Company open the gates down south and let people in big time....wake up!!!!!

Some of you also need to understand that the same companies, banks, and insurance companies who invested in post war German and Japan did so for labor costs...
    These people and groups.companies can move the raw materials and finished goods anywhere in the world..the key ingredient is labor costs....and the ability of skills within that labor cost.

So too with Korea....and Now China.

All involving movements of large sums of monies, resources, as well as technologies.

Some of you need to seriously rethink what is going on out here and what is coming.....with the gates of the wall opening up....wide open..
    We are being moved into a position where we as Americans will not be able to afford ourselves but required to give breast to every and anyone else to keep voting Deep State.
    The issues to me is quickly morphing not into Democrat and Republican. ...left or right but Deep State or America and American.

Do you hear any of the phony Republicans or Democrats bringing up this point..or their pimps in public education or the MSM???

MY non Ishmaelite .02,
    Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 02-15-2021 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Yea, it's funny those that turn up their noses at a Chinese radio but fine with anHecho en Mexico sticker on the side. Like I said, politics on this issue don't bother me, I just want to talk on radio and get others to, as well. We can hash out American made radios later, lets just get the ticket and go.
    I thought all the Chevrolet Cruze cars were made in the US. I ordered a hatchback. It had made in Mexico stickers on it. Kept it just long enough to when I could get a trade in value that would keep me from losing my posterior. Found out the hard way the 3500 Dodge trucks are built in Mexico. I now have a Dearborn built GMC 3500. Yes I do know the domestic content of the truck.

I got my Extra class license 1971. The Code test was a real beast. I had to send and receive at 20wpm. I can still do it, mostly because it takes me back to my roots, when I put in the work to learn. Now, with all the online tools and no code, HAM is open to a lot of people. I don't look down my nose at ANYONE. If they want to learn, I will teach. Does this mean I am done learning? NO! 2M, Satellite communications, Moon bounce, Fractal Antenna arrays, Software Defined Radio, and all sorts of things are out there to explore. The more I learn, the more I find to learn. I fell into a group of HAM's that have the same idea as I do and we are always playing with new project.

BTW, Since I know I am too old to fall off a tower, I now have a telescoping tower rig. It's nice, because I roll it down, during storms and when it is not in use, and roll it up when I want to transmit. They cost more, but are worth the independence. The sections are 20' and that is easily in the realm of a ladder. I still clip in, when I am working up there.
    Last edited by Crazy Uncle; 02-15-2021 at 05:24 AM.
    July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2020
    覧覧覧由IP USA覧覧覧

By Crazy uncle..
    The Code test was a real beast. I had to send and receive at 20wpm.

Amen on that one..

And Amen on this one too!!!
    I don't look down my nose at ANYONE. If they want to learn, I will teach.
    Well said Crazy Uncle...well said...

And in like manner to many things in life...................just when you thought you knew it all.....................................you find out how little you do know...

Oh...and I have a tree climbing outfit...belt spikes etc etc. I learned on the job...but in addition to that ...I learned quickly that those guys earn every penny. It is dangerous up there.
    Big time.

I don't climb towers...I leave that to the younger fellows....
    I try to live a tame life now days...

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 02-15-2021 at 12:04 PM.