Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creation of HAM "not a club" club

Default Creation of HAM "not a club" club

So I'm a member of Highland Lakes Amateur Radio Club, "HLARC" for seven or eight years now, since I jumped into a Ham Slam Tech class. Two EE's teach the class. Very smart but too smart for most of us, their pass rate for tech is about 40% over last few years. Either folks are dumb, or more likely as I experienced, they teaching way over most folks head, you don't need a degree, just pass the test. At completion of my passing test they announced the upcoming General class. I waited 6 years for this class that never came.

Stumbled across two others from same class as me and we decided to study group and test for general. We found W4EEY on YouTube and followed along. We are now studying for Extra class.

Now we all pretty much agreed to do our own thing and disregard the club. They are hung up on ARES/RACES and nobody talks on radio. We decided to change that. We have solicited all HAMs of record in Llano county and are preparing to reach out to two other counties. Looking for those like us that got tech and then were left on side of road. No offers for Elmers in this club, it's a click and you are in it or not, but nobody helps. This is allegedly changing. They scared to death of what we doing and it's really comical.

Somebody unknown who at this time has been doing crosswind repeating probably from HT through a mobile. Regardless, this person has not properly set tone, so sometimes when he releases key on mike the repeater hangs. An inconvenience for sure, but the club is organizing a foxhound to shut down this guy, I'm guessing gallows has been suggested and removal of license at a minimum. They are planning and complaining about this across the club email, so we are reading it. We have suggested that they chill, and try to reach out to help. Their response is that it is illegal, (wrong), and they should lose their license. This the same group hurting for membership. Wonder why? So we are arguing with them that for one, nobody talks on their repeater so it's not that big of a deal, and not illegal, just not good practice and a nuisance. So then repeater trustee announces that he will just shut down repeater. I informed him of his obvious genius, yea its getting nasty, and that it makes perfect sense to shut down the repeater that the offense is happening on, if you want to find the guy.

Anyway, we have acquired a tower in a very good elevation and location, that already has internet on it, at 50' but open from there to top at 100'. Shopping for 2M with both DMR and analog as well as a GMRS module. Don't know a lot about it but are in contact with several repeater owners to help guide our endeavor.

Kinda fun watching the other club panic. We pay dues to that club still, but they don't meet any longer so to much to be involved it. We meet in personWe don't feel the need to be boss but want to make it easier and more fun for new HAMS in the area and really promote the sport. We will always be available for emergency stuff, but don't want to just dwell on that aspect.
    Last edited by KINGCHIP; 02-10-2021 at 03:57 PM.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

good for you !
    a focus on simply helping all you can - what a concept
    too bad the old group can't figure that out

we had the same attitude with a local bee club

Back when I was an active VE we had a similar situation. Those testing who went through one club's license class aced the tech questions while failing the rules and regs question miserably. Come to find out the instructor was an old fart who was a very anti no coder. He taught only theory and the practical was building a code practice oscillator while telling the students he was preparing them for the exam, assuring them they would pass because he was such a great teacher. Problem was the tech test was made up of more rules and regulations than technical back then. After several conversations with the club leadership a new instructor was finally found. It ain't right but it happens and has been going on for a long time.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    good for you !
    a focus on simply helping all you can - what a concept
    too bad the old group can't figure that out

we had the same attitude with a local bee club
    Funny thing, they are trying hard to get us to do what we doing, under them, and brainstorm on email about how to attract and retain members. Never have they mentioned talking on radio and making it fun for new techs.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

KINGCHIP and others..

I hate that mess wherein some people think they are sitting on the only one in town....snobby.

I never took a single class through all five license requirements back then....now only three requirements today.

I did it all on my own with what back then was Radio Shack study guides. Extra class was the hardest for me.....particularly at 20 Words per minute of morse code.

I don't get all excited over the non code requirements of today....

I still try to keep my code skills up.....and mostly wanted to know if I could do it. 13 words per minute and then onto 20 words per minute. Code does not come naturally to me as does it some people. I had to work hard at it.

I am proud of you guys for going it alone....on your own merits or demerits.....you are not letting them slow you down...and taking the risks and benefits on your own....good for you. Problem solving on your own!!!

This country needs more like you .....not following the Herd so to speak..willing to go off on your own....not to be rude or smart allicky but just on your own....independents. Good for you!! Some of us just want to know if we can do it...if we have "The Right Stuff."

That is the spirit that made this country....

Hooh Rah!!!!!!!

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Oh,,,,by the way .....I'm not a member of any club.....

The night hours for which I work do not lend themselves to being social in that manner....but that is ok by me..
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 02-11-2021 at 01:33 AM.

We are members of that "snob" group, which seems to me to be relatively normal in HAM circles. Not sure why, but HAMS look down their noses at CB's and Chinese radios. I have a dozen Beofeng that I caught on sale that are great throw aways as I call them. Cheap and program easy. I use them as handouts for several people that are looking to get tech ticket soon. Also got my GMRS license and gave radios to my kids and their spouses to have comms if phones go down, and they can use my call sign. We also participate in another club up north of us about 40 miles because they are what we aspire to be at some point. They just have monthly breakfast meetings, with some sort of presentation. Our first time with them, they built homemade hand held Yagi antennas out of PVC, tape measures, and hose clamps. Really neat directional kind of setup.

We have acquired a 100' tower in great location on a Central Texas size mountain, that has internet on it at 50'. Going to put a repeater on it. Thinking 2M for sure, maybe another, DMR, and GMRS box. Trying to decide if we want to go that alone or farm out to some other repeater owners that we know, the reason being that I'm youngest at 61 and don't know how many years I want to keep climbing towers, and somebody will have to maintain it.

Hams are our own worst enemy.
    Good medicine in bad places

Yep, our local county has a club that has been around for more than 50 years. Snob is the word for sure. Most of them won't even work anything but CW.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

By KINGCHIP,

Not sure why, but HAMS look down their noses at CB's and Chinese radios.
    I don't go along with this though I am a ham. I also have my ham rigs modified to work straight through on the transmit...all of my HF Rigs.,,including the CB frequencies.

I will often go back to the CB bands and talk with people I know still there. Many hams started out on the CB bands and it does not do to turn ones nose up at prospective hams. Not Smart. And I don't care what the other hams think....
    I have helped several CB people I know to get their ham ticket. Was proud to help them....know that they had the right stuff. I will never imply that they are better than CB folks.

I have never cared for people who think they are sitting on the only one in town. I don't like that attitude from the left or the right but notice it particularly on the left..it is often their signature....that they know what is best for everyone...one size fits all. I don't like that in hams or from the left.

I learned and taught myself CW because I wanted to know if I had the right stuff to do it. I do not look down on others for not wanting to do it.

I took the Extra Class exam because I wanted to know if I could do it....once I got General and Advanced class back then. Extra did not give me that many more privileges...but It was there and I wanted to know could I do it.

I reckon that though I am not a social butterfly type so to speak...I still don't care for that kind of snobbery in anything.

Which..come to think of it in a bigger picture...may be why I keep a lot to myself or very private selective company.

And as so many of the members hear know ...I don't care for Ishmaelites as well...put them in the same category as snobs...

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    Not sure why, but HAMS look down their noses at CB's and Chinese radios.
    Try and find a radio, made by anyone, in commercial sale in the US that is not at least 50% (if not 95%) Chinese sources parts. That includes Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood Amateur radios, and even Motorola and Harris commercial and amazingly expensive radios.

And if Baofeng can build and sell a dual band FM for $25, why cannot Icom?
    Good medicine in bad places