Thread: I'm Kinda Stoked...(shameless brag)

Default I'm Kinda Stoked...(shameless brag)

Yeah, I'm excited, although I don't wanna count my chickens before they hatch... my first book, Inlaws and Outlaws, is being considered by Hollyweird for a movie or possibly a mini-series. I have a "zoom" meeting with a respected producer to pitch the project, then some follow-up stuff with studio honchos in a few weeks. Such is my crazy life...

The producer I am matched with has a history of working with new writers to develop movie scripts, a new skill set I am trying to grasp as I learn the ins and outs of the business. One of the first steps is to get a producer excited about your story, which they then pitch to the financiers and $$$ people to take the project to the next level. Toward that end, I have written what is called a "treatment" - a synopsis of the story with all the characters and plot twists, which we will discuss in our first hour-long meeting.

What began as "you should write a book" has morphed into "this would make a great Hallmark-style movie". With the COVID lockdown and all the new streaming services, producers are clamoring for fresh ideas and new content... hopefully, this works to my advantage. If I can get this one right, the script alone can bring six figures plus other royalties and launch a new career path late in my life. As you might imagine, all this is pretty exciting, especially since I actually lived the story.

Just for giggles, I even produced a mock movie poster to accompany the "treatment" my producer will be considering. You can see it here (link) and get a flavor of the story, should you be curious. Yeah, I'm kinda stoked.... never would've dreamed this would happen. As my adoptive dad once said, "I'm gonna tell you some stories, and some of them might be true."

That's awesome CP !! Hope it all works out for you. Just don't forget us peons when you become rich and famous.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    That's awesome CP !! Hope it all works out for you. Just don't forget us peons when you become rich and famous.
    Thanks, Bam. I'm still pinching myself. This is a whole new world for me - one that I never would've imagined... but it won't change who I really am. I might keep me off the streets for a time, though

Congratulations!

But a caveat; be prepared for the producers to change A LOT. Tom Clancy got pretty angry at Hollywood for essentially rewriting his books.

A book of 500 + - pages has to be highly edited to make a two hour movie. Plus characters get deleted or combined to save $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGunn View Post
    Congratulations!

But a caveat; be prepared for the producers to change A LOT. Tom Clancy got pretty angry at Hollywood for essentially rewriting his books.

A book of 500 + - pages has to be highly edited to make a two hour movie. Plus characters get deleted or combined to save $$$$.
    Yeah, I'm aware. And I'm smart enough to know that there's a lot that I do not know...I'm certainly no Tom Clancy. That's where a good producer's judgement comes into play. We shall see what happens. Thanks for the wisdom, TommyGun !

Hope ya get paid big

Cool thing. Best of luck with it. About half the time our TV is on Hallmark. It's almost like Louis L'Amour books, they all have basic good vs evil thing, but it's better than most of the crap out there now.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Good on you! Best of luck!
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Hope ya get paid big
    Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind... some scripts can garner $50-$100K right outta the gate, but they are the exception and not the rule. Time will tell if this gets any traction - but thanks for the positive vibe