Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The off grid shed(she shed)

Ok. Then on my next update Iíll make a video and put it up on the tube instead of dealing with pictures.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Alright, time for another update!!

Got one layer of insulation on all of the walls now. Started working on the ceiling but Iím starting with 2 layers of 1/2Ē radiant barrier foam board on the ceiling since this is in Texas so itís going to get hot. Once the insulation is finished on the ceiling Iíll be doubling up the insulation starting on the south facing wall, then on the two east/west facing walls as the insulation supply lasts.

So this time, instead of pictures I made a video. In this video I not only show the insulation work being done, and briefly go over the window install, but I also go over the portable power center that Iím using to power my tools as well as listen to the radio while I work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M8zi0Iqwvwc

Time for me to get off my feet. Can only get a couple of hours of work in before having to get off my feet for the rest of the day. Yíall let me know if the video works out better than pictures, and let me know if there is anything in particular you want to see more of or more detail about.

Great vid Cav! It's coming along nicely. That power center is great, looks very handy and portable.

We own a lot of the same tools!

I think the Mrs. will be pleased when you are through.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

As far as the tools go, my daughter tells me all the time ďDaddy, you have enough Ryobi tools. STOP BUYING THEM!!Ē hehehehe........

But, because Iíve got so many tools, I also have a lot of batteries. So if the power goes out, I can continue my normal everyday stuff. One of the handiest Ryobi tools Iíve got and used the most is a simple 18 volt flashlight that I added a USB outlet to. Before we got new furniture that has USB outlets on them, we would keep the flashlight on an end table and use it to recharge our devices when they got low. When camping I use it as a flashlight, and then once inside the tent it would be used to recharge our devices.

Thanks for the compliment on the portable power center. Once the shed is done it will be rebuilt. 32 amp/hr is an ok amount, but if you put any decent load on the inverter it pulls the batteries down too quickly. So I will be rebuilding and upgrading it. The radio is getting removed and the power inverter is going to be replaced with a smaller one. The battery bank is going to be upgraded from 32 amp/hr to 80 amp/hr. The best part is I already have all the parts here to get it done. The radio is going into a jump start box. This jump start box is not going to be used as a jump start box anymore so the bad 17 amp/hr AGM battery has been removed and in its place will be a 20 amp/hr lithium ion battery pack in the form of 18650 batteries. Once again, got all the parts here at the house to build it, just need the time. The new portable power center will have battery posts on it so it will be able to be used as a jump start box.

Got LOTS of projects to work on, just not enough time.

Got more work done and we are now at a stopping point, for now.

All of the insulation work is done. There are only a couple of small places that donít have 1Ē of foam board insulation now. Those areas are in more of the north facing walls so itís all good. If I would have done 1Ē of insulation over every where the. It would have taken right at 14 sheets of 1/2Ē radiant barrier 4íX8í foam board to do it all. The total cost to insulate was about $150.

Got some small 1ĒX4Ē boards attached close to the ceiling so I can attached the fake ship lap to. I go over that in detail in the video.

Got horizontal ceiling boards installed. This will be used to attach the fake ship lap to as well as to mount the light fixtures to.

Had 3 bids on electrical ram to and installed in the shed. The price was quit a bit higher this time vs last time due to the cost of wire increasing greatly, and the fact that I had a friend hook me up last time. Our first shed cost us almost $700 to get electricity ran to and installed. So far, the three bids on our current shed have been $2,200 and $2,263 and $2,600. I told my wife that for that much, and with all of the stuff I currently have, we could make it 100% off grid and still work just as good. She didnít like that idea and still wants the shed connected to the grid. Oh well......

Here is the most recent video. The off grid She Shed part 2.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IQfQxGyDE

Coming right along... nice progress. One inch of insulation doesn't sound like a lot but it will go a long way toward helping to keep the temps reasonable in there.

BTW the wife is right... you want a grid tie there if possible. $2200?! Yikes. I wonder if you can save money if you rent a trencher and put the trench in yourself? As long as you leave it open so they can inspect and see that it's done to code, might be worth looking into. The labor to trench it and backfill may be a significant part of that price, and don't really require an electrician's talents. He would likely subcontract that part out anyway.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Yep, bruss is correct. I don't hook to my equipment trailer for less than $450 even if it's only 10 minutes of work. There's too much risk and liability involved.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Of the 3 quotes, only one was going to bury the wire the entire length. The other 2 companies were going to run the wire through the attic, then come out the back of the house where they only have to dig a 12í trench to bury the wire. One thing that complicates the trench digging process is we have a sprinkler system. So you canít use a trencher, it has to all be dug by hand! For that 12í long trench though, Iíll probably dig that myself. I will take my time and already know roughly where the sprinkler lines are. Someone who is trying to finish a job quick to put more money in their pocket is not going to be nearly as careful.

As far as the insulation goes, we didnít have any insulation in our last converted shed, and the old shed was 2í longer than our current one, but a 5k BTU window unit kept the temp inside the shed no higher than 80 when it was 105 degrees outside! If 1Ē of insulation and the same size window unit can keep the temps no higher than 75 this summer then I will be a happy camper, because my wife will be happy! Happy wife, happy life!!!

MAJOR change in direction for the shed.

My wife and I sat down, as we occasionally do, to talk about everything going on and to make sure we are both on the same page. After talking we both agreed that a big focus needs to be on making sure my wifeís car can go in the garage all the time. This is safer for her(we donít live in a bad neighborhood, just trying to think ahead) and with severe storm season upon us her car is safer in the garage instead of potentially being exposed to a hail storm. Well, the only way we can make sure her car will fit in the garage every day is if my stuff is not in there. The only other place it all can go is into the shed.

So, the shed build will continue, but now with a more male design style. So no ship lap, the walls will just be basic plywood. There will still be a window unit A/C, but we will not be running electricity to it. After some of the other projects are complete, there will be 750 watts of solar installed and connected to a 560 amp/hr battery bank. This is what will power the window unit A/C, lights, and pretty much everything in the shed.

So a slight change in plans, but for the better prepping wise.

Nothin' needs to be written in stone.