Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The off grid shed(she shed)

Default The off grid shed(man cave)

So this thread will document a transformation of an 8’ X 10’ Tuff Shed into an off grid She Shed. In this thread I will document not only the work done to the shed to convert it into an insulated, heated and cooled craft room but the solar setup to power it will also be documented.

Now let’s get busy.......

The standard Tuff Shed includes 24” on center 2”X4” studs, 3/4” plywood flooring, and vents. Since this shed will be insulated we deleted the vents and paid extra for a moisture barrier to be installed from the factory. We also opted for a more traditional door instead of the typical barn doors. This door might be replaced in the future with a standard 36”, or maybe 32” house door. The total cost of the shed, after taxes, additions, and to have it built on site was right at $3k. I could have built it cheaper myself, but between being short of breath from a previous covid infection as well as Parkinson’s, it will get done a LOT quicker if someone else does the hard part.

So here are some outside pictures of the shed. The painting was included in the price, but the shutters were not supposed to be green. We will repaint that later.5B124B31-5674-4FE1-8E2B-909CDEE42C66.jpg5B124B31-5674-4FE1-8E2B-909CDEE42C66.jpg5B124B31-5674-4FE1-8E2B-909CDEE42C66.jpg5B124B31-5674-4FE1-8E2B-909CDEE42C66.jpg5B124B31-5674-4FE1-8E2B-909CDEE42C66.jpg15DC5630-33AA-47D2-BB0A-8E9669BF2480.jpg77822FAB-4D12-4799-B558-9CD18A2B8C92.jpg
    Last edited by 91CavGT; 03-28-2021 at 04:11 PM.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Sorry for the sideways pics, and multiple pics. Don’t know why they are sideways. Anyway, on to the next update.

The first step was to seal the outside of the shed to prevent any kind of water intrusion. After that, sealing the inside of the shed where the moisture barriers meet was on the agenda. Even though it is a shed, I want to have it sealed as much as possible so we can put a HEPA air filter in it if need be.

So here are some pictures of the outside sealing done as well as the inside and how I am sealing it. Attachment 2529Attachment 2530Attachment 2531Attachment 2532Attachment 2533

I’m using a 100 watt solar panel to keep my portable power center charged, and that is how I am keeping the cordless tool batteries charged, and providing music while I’m working. Once the shed is finished inside and out, there will be three 250 watt 24 volt solar panels installed on the inside of the fence for OPSEC so no one on the outside of our fence will be able to see them. Those 3 panels will be wired in series to give approximately 90 volts and 10 amps. This will then be ran into our garage where the battery bank will be mounted along with the charge controller. The charge controller was purchased at the beginning of the plandemic last year when I started to see the writing on the wall on how electronic devices were going to go up in price AND be hard to find. It is an EPEVER unit that is rated to be able to handle over 100 amps of current and about 5,000 watts of solar. Buy once and cry once. It cost about $400, but you can’t find new ones anymore. Used ones go for about $500!!

The battery bank are 4 of the C&D Technologies High Rate Max model UPS12-490MR. They are AGM batteries and are rated for 139.2 amp/hr each! They are also seriously heavy at 100 pounds each!!! They came out of a telecom battery backup system and I found them for a steal at $100 each.

For power production there are several choices that I have. So, I will be wiring up 4 separate power inverters but primarily only using the biggest one for the shed. However, by having 4 power inverters it will allow me options as to match the power demand to the right size power inverter. The 4 power inverters are sized as follows;

3,000 watts continuous, 6,000 watt surge
    2,000 watts continuous, 4,000 watt surge
    1,000 watts continuous, 2,000 watt surge
    And the last power inverter is a 23 year old tank rated at 300 watts but is almost the same size as the 1,000 watt unit.

The batteries will each be wired up to some home made buss bars with 1/0 power and ground cables. The bus bars originally were copper bars, but the seller flaked out. So I went to a local hardware store and bought a 3/4” X 5’ long copper pipe. This pipe will be cut down, hammered flat, and stacked to make two bus bars(one for the positive and one for the negative). The 2 big power inverters will be connected with 1/0 cables(with 4 cables on the biggest power inverter). The 1,000 inverter will be wired with 4 gauge wire, and all other items will be connected to a marine fuse box.

I know I’m forgetting something, but that is all I can think of at this time in regards to the power side of this project.

Looks good Cav.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Looking good so far Cav.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Got 15 sheets of foam board radiant barrier insulation yesterday. Went ahead and picked up some more tubes of caulk and some tubes of Liquid Nails as well.

Went into the shed today and started working on the corners on the inside. There was no place to attach the “ship lap”(more on that later) that we will be installing later so I had to put some 2”X4” boards in the corners. Before they could go into place though I went through and double checked every seam to ensure it is all sealed up good on not only the inside but the outside too.

017A3A26-BE86-4A6B-AEA5-B2220E1EA784.jpg
    This is a corner with one of he boards in place. LOTS of caulking to get it sealed.

78B33541-56A6-4F9C-B792-16CA406DBF62.jpg
    And this is a corner that now has 2 of the boards in place. Once again, I went back and sealed around the boards to ensure no unauthorized air or water intrusion will happen.

90AA908E-B0DA-45C0-90B2-2586730CFDE2.jpg
    And this is the 15 sheets of foam board radiant insulation.

Also got a chance to test the portable power center with the new 100 watt solar panel. It is perfectly sized!!! It was able to charge the 4 amp/hr Ryobi 18 volt cordless tool batteries, had the radio playing, and cell phone charging all at the same time and the panel was able to maintain 14 volts with the lithium battery bank inside the power center. Success!!

The next steps are to finish putting the corner boards in, then start cutting the insulation and staging it in the spots where it will go. Later I will be securing them all down at the same time with the Liquid Nails. I want to do them all at once so I don’t have a tube of Liquid Nails drying out.

EDIT: Got the pictures deleted and then re-uploaded them. Let’s see if this worked.
    Last edited by 91CavGT; 02-01-2021 at 04:14 PM.

I'm following this Cav. Interesting build out
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

no pictures in post #6 but thanks for the write up. Don't seal it up too tight, yes that's a thing..
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    no pictures in post #6 but thanks for the write up. Don't seal it up too tight, yes that's a thing..
    Thanks, I’ll have to look into it tomorrow. Gotta go to bed now. The shed currently does have 1 screened in window, I’ll be adding a second window to mount a window unit A/C into, and my wife has expressed interest in either a new door with a window on it or adding a window to the current door. Hopefully between all of those there will be enough ventilation, maybe?

Got the pictures changed out on the post. They are showing up for me now, but for some reason the pictures are still uploading sideways and I have no idea on how to change that.

No work was done today. Was too busy on the phone with doctors and a pharmacy. Tomorrow there won’t be any work either. I have to drive 2 hours(as long as traffic cooperates a d there’s no wrecks) to get to a doctor appointment. Maybe Wednesday I can get out there and work on it some more.