Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Reloading ammo

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    OT, Hornady now makes a flex tip, spire point bullet designed especially for lever action rifles with a tubular magazine. They're 160 grains in weight and safe to load and shoot in a lever rifle. They also make a powder for it, LEVERevolution. It increases the velocity by some 200 FPS or so, and increases the range of the 30-30 out to 250-300 yards. I've loaded some but haven't shot them yet. The bullet is called FTX.
    Thanks for the info

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.”

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    2,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    Send me $225 ill send you my old lee turret press.

    put it out there >>> there'll be a buyer for it

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    5,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    OT, Hornady now makes a flex tip, spire point bullet designed especially for lever action rifles with a tubular magazine. They're 160 grains in weight and safe to load and shoot in a lever rifle. They also make a powder for it, LEVERevolution. It increases the velocity by some 200 FPS or so, and increases the range of the 30-30 out to 250-300 yards. I've loaded some but haven't shot them yet. The bullet is called FTX.
    Oh yes.....Olde Timer.

    I am aware of these plastic tipped spire point bullets but did not bring it up deliberately with a new reloader as particular care would be needed to not mix up these pointed flex tip bullets with regular lead tipped spire pointed bullets with a new reloader.


    Yes the technology has moved that far and fast now days....including the Lever revolution powder of which I have one can for .35 Remington Reloads though I often use IMR 3031 or IMR 4198 for .35 Remington.

    I have used .35 Remington lead tipped Spire point bullets in my Thompson Contender pistol as it is a single shot and that issue of the tubular magazine does not come up with this handgun. But much care needs be taken not to mix these up with regular ammo in a lever gun.

    As a rule for .35 Remington in my Marlin Rifle I usually use 200 grain lead tipped round nose bullets as this is not generally a 400 or 500 yard shooting gun..100 to 150 yards or closer is more like it and both the 30-30 and .35 Remington are well within their element as well as very efficient tools in those ranges..and with round nose bullets.

    I suspect that a combination of efficiency, ammo availability, and costs is what has endeared the lever 30-30 to Americans across this land for putting meat on the table...and only secondarily or third place ...the .35 Remington. But the 30-30 has held it's spot with Americans for a long long time....and unto today. Quite a testament to me..


    Nonetheless...I did not bring that up with a new reloader....about the flex tipped bullets....as great care must be taken not to get these flex tipped spire points mixed up with lead tipped spire point bullets.

    Mayhaps I should have...


    Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishsmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 01-12-2021 at 10:22 AM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Oh yes.....Olde Timer.

    I am aware of these plastic tipped spire point bullets but did not bring it up deliberately with a new reloader as particular care would be needed to not mix up these pointed flex tip bullets with regular lead tipped spire pointed bullets with a new reloader.


    Yes the technology has moved that far and fast now days....including the Lever revolution powder of which I have one can for .35 Remington Reloads though I often use IMR 3031 or IMR 4198 for .35 Remington.

    I have used .35 Remington lead tipped Spire point bullets in my Thompson Contender pistol as it is a single shot and that issue of the tubular magazine does not come up with this handgun. But much care needs be taken not to mix these up with regular ammo in a lever gun.

    As a rule for .35 Remington in my Marlin Rifle I usually use 200 grain lead tipped round nose bullets as this is not generally a 400 or 500 yard shooting gun..100 to 150 yards or closer is more like it and both the 30-30 and .35 Remington are well within their element as well as very efficient tools in those ranges..and with round nose bullets.

    I suspect that a combination of efficiency, ammo availability, and costs is what has endeared the lever 30-30 to Americans across this land for putting meat on the table...and only secondarily or third place ...the .35 Remington. But the 30-30 has held it's spot with Americans for a long long time....and unto today. Quite a testament to me..


    Nonetheless...I did not bring that up with a new reloader....about the flex tipped bullets....as great care must be taken not to get these flex tipped spire points mixed up with lead tipped spire point bullets.

    Mayhaps I should have...


    Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishsmaelite
    Absolutely! When reloading only put ONE powder and ONE type bullet on the reloading table. Precaution, safety and common sense are absolute necessities at the reloading bench. No substitute. I think that rule should apply to everyone who reloads...novice (beginner) or years of experience. Anyone, no matter how experienced, can make a mistake if they "set the table" for the possibility. And it only takes one mistake to produce a life time of regret.
    Last edited by beowulf; 01-12-2021 at 12:20 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Found some 3030 in stock on a website called all in tactical.. But if you can believe it, they are not accepting new customers.

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.”

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sweet Tennessee
    Posts
    4,784

    Default

    I can understand that they aren't accepting new customers. It's difficult and sometimes almost impossible to scale a business.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    5,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ATurner View Post
    Found some 3030 in stock on a website called all in tactical.. But if you can believe it, they are not accepting new customers.

    Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

    Wow!!!! While I do not own a 30-30...I do have one tool calibrated in 35 Remington and have not bought factory ammo for it in years and years now..

    Mostly I roll my own ammo and when I can I find andput away brass for this caliber and again...roll my own ammo.

    This represents keeping tabs on the proper brass, powder, primers, as well as bullets for this particular calibration.


    Standard factory bullets for this are 200 grain round noses in weight and .358 diameter.

    However...

    I have found that for this particular calibration that I can reload .357 magnum pistol bullets and often load 158 grain pistol bullets in it...but prefer when I find them to reload the 200 grain round nose bullets.

    This offers me a bit of flexibility in reloading should I not be able to find the 200 grain round noses.


    Again...and however...

    I should tell you that the 200 grain round nose soft point bullet is pure knockdown energy in motion...versus the .357 Magnum pistol bullets.....a freight train...within the usable/practical range of this tool.

    It is very much the same with the 30-30 and the 170 grain flat point bullets....pure freight train in energy delivery within it's practical/working range..



    Rolling my own ammunition ...I am often not aware of how acute is the ammo situation out here....unless I pick up the tales from others as is the case on this site.
    Other than the occasional box of shotgun shells ...I've not bought ammo in some time now...


    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 01-13-2021 at 08:06 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •