Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading ammo

Quote Originally Posted by CENTEXDUDE View Post
    I started with a Lee Classic single stage press.
    I now have a rcbs single stage press. I mostly use Lee reloading dies. I find them simple as I do a single stage press. Slower yes, but slow to me is more precise and accurate in every stage of reloading.
    I have dies for both pistol and rifle in 10 different calibers.
    For someone new to reloading a single stage is the way to start and then later that person might consider a progressive.
    Just my 2 cents.
    There is no school like old school. I have a RCBS "Rock Chucker". For me, this is all I will use. Lee makes very nice progressive reloaders. IMHO, you can do it fast, or you can do it right. You can't do both. I used to shoot competitively and reloads were a necessity, if you wanted to do well. 30-30 is a great round to start reloading. It is a very forgiving load, and as you get better, you will notice a huge difference in your ability to accurately hit a target.

For my reloading supplies, I use my local gun shop. Jerry knows me and we swap lies over coffee all the time. Be that customer they like to see in the shop. I pay a little more there, than I would at Cabellas or Northwest Armory. But I order guns, gun parts, sights, reloading, everything from Jerry. If he doesn't have it, I prepay and wait for it to come in. I always bring some coffee, when I am picking stuff up and we visit and stay for a few minutes, if he is not busy. Be polite. This puts me at the head of the line. At Cabellas, I am lucky if the guy behind the counter has 5min for me, and knows anything about the what I am looking for. Jerry was an armorer in the Marines.

Hope this helps.
    July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2020
    覧覧覧由IP USA覧覧覧

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Eagle View Post
    Good luck finding:

-Powder
    -Primers
    -Projectiles

I have been reloading for about 2 years now(mostly pistol and 30-06). Since the Kung Flu hit, I have been stingy with my small pistol primers and practice. When the local shops do get them, it's a 300 primer limit. Don't even look at gunjoker prices. You'll s--t a brick.

I've been seeing ridiculous $$$$ on the used loaders - rock chuckers and shellloaders - I haven't checked but I suspect new isn't eazy or cheap >>>>

Send me $225 ill send you my old lee turret press.

Crazy Uncle is correct...on this...

At Cabellas, I am lucky if the guy behind the counter has 5min for me, and knows anything about the what I am looking for.
    Same thing at Bass Pro.

When I bother to go there now days...I get what I want if they have it and leave..going straight to the front cashiers. Not much interested in speaking to the people behind the counters.

But mostly they are out of reloading supplies now days....bare shelves here at Bass Pro Shops.

This leaves me going to a guy across the river....in like manner to Crazy Uncle and for much the same reasons.

Went across the river the other day to get reloading supplies and came away with a Thompson Contender in .41 Magnum...14 inch barrel...the very piece for which I was looking and difficult to find now days...like reloading supplies.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 01-11-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks for all the input. Ill admit im late to the show. I thought i was better off woth my ammo preps until i realized i wasnt.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    摘very saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Dont give up, have to start somewhere. But I'm with these guys. Get the book, and a good reloading book like a hornaday. Find components first, then worry about a press and dies. They're out there if you look. Today I grabbed 500 .45 Acp bullets in 230gr, and 500 .38 special bullets and a set of .38 dies and some accessories. Luckily I left my son with a s#%t pot of powder and primers as well as cases and a complete set up for him.

I started reloading about 10 or so years ago. I went with the lee breechlock press. I now added a turret and updated the powder throw.

Just start simple and ya wont have any problems once you get components.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Droid View Post
    Dont give up, have to start somewhere. But I'm with these guys. Get the book, and a good reloading book like a hornaday. Find components first, then worry about a press and dies. They're out there if you look. Today I grabbed 500 .45 Acp bullets in 230gr, and 500 .38 special bullets and a set of .38 dies and some accessories. Luckily I left my son with a s#%t pot of powder and primers as well as cases and a complete set up for him.

I started reloading about 10 or so years ago. I went with the lee breechlock press. I now added a turret and updated the powder throw.

Just start simple and ya wont have any problems once you get components.
    Thanks.

Im starting to think another pump shotgun and more shells would be my best bet. No point buying another rifle i cant find ammo for.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    摘very saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

A Turner,

Concerning the reloading of the 30-30 caliber rifle ammunition..,

While I don't own a 30-30 caliber rifle....I did at one time own a .35 Remington and reloaded for it.

I also reloaded .35 Remington in a Thompson Contender single shot pistol..

Supplies and availability aside....

If you decide to reload for this calibration.....and get the supplies....remember this..in particular if no one has told you...very important...

In a lever rifle...with a tubular magazine under the barrel...do not put pointed nosed bullets into it. They may set off the primer on the bullets in the magazine with the first shot in a reload of pointed nosed bullets.

Make sure if you reload for a tubular magazine rifle that you use round nosed or flat nosed bullets and not spire points or pointed nosed bullets. Very important.

Looking at the Hornady reloading tables....standard hunting bullet weights are 150 grain round nose and 170 grain flat nosed bullets.

I keep my Hornady reloading books here at the computer table and another set out in my garage with my reloading presses.

Numerous powders are listed as well in theses books but you can also get this information on line..

You decide for yourself if you want to reload this caliber...but just be aware about pointed or spire point bullets in a tubular magazine if no one has told you...

Oh....another point....

Lots of people have 30-30s across this country and if you decide to start reloading many of them will most likely be glad to give you their spent brass....as most do not reload..

I reload .308 and also 30.06 and often pick up extra brass when I can....or even purchase it at the gun store wherein I purchase reloading materials.

Same for many pistol calibers...I pick up the brass and put it away.

.35 Remington Brass is a bit more difficult to find and I pick it up when I can.

These are just things/facets you learn the more you reload...

The 30-30 brass case is also the parent case for numerous wildcat chamberings in the Thompson Contender pistol in both 10 inch and 14 inch long barrel

This may sound a bit strange to many..but I enjoy my time at the reloading bench as much as at the shooting range..

A cup of coffee...or cold drink...some music...maybe a light snack..and I am good to go for hours...the rest of the world can keep getting up...I'm in my Zone!!!

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 01-11-2021 at 08:18 PM.

I've only thought about tube fed rounds in passing and only with the Rimfire, never my 30-30..... Makes good sense to me! Thanks
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    A Turner,

Concerning the reloading of the 30-30 caliber rifle ammunition..,

While I don't own a 30-30 caliber rifle....I did at one time own a .35 Remington and reloaded for it.

I also reloaded .35 Remington in a Thompson Contender single shot pistol..

Supplies and availability aside....

If you decide to reload for this calibration.....and get the supplies....remember this..in particular if no one has told you...very important...

In a lever rifle...with a tubular magazine under the barrel...do not put pointed nosed bullets into it. They may set off the primer on the bullets in the magazine with the first shot in a reload of pointed nosed bullets.

Make sure if you reload for a tubular magazine rifle that you use round nosed or flat nosed bullets and not spire points or pointed nosed bullets. Very important.

Looking at the Hornady reloading tables....standard hunting bullet weights are 150 grain round nose and 170 grain flat nosed bullets.

I keep my Hornady reloading books here at the computer table and another set out in my garage with my reloading presses.

Numerous powders are listed as well in theses books but you can also get this information on line..

You decide for yourself if you want to reload this caliber...but just be aware about pointed or spire point bullets in a tubular magazine if no one has told you...

Oh....another point....

Lots of people have 30-30s across this country and if you decide to start reloading many of them will most likely be glad to give you their spent brass....as most do not reload..

I reload .308 and also 30.06 and often pick up extra brass when I can....or even purchase it at the gun store wherein I purchase reloading materials.

Same for many pistol calibers...I pick up the brass and put it away.

.35 Remington Brass is a bit more difficult to find and I pick it up when I can.

These are just things/facets you learn the more you reload...

The 30-30 brass case is also the parent case for numerous wildcat chamberings in the Thompson Contender pistol in both 10 inch and 14 inch long barrel

This may sound a bit strange to many..but I enjoy my time at the reloading bench as much as at the shooting range..

A cup of coffee...or cold drink...some music...maybe a light snack..and I am good to go for hours...the rest of the world can keep getting up...I'm in my Zone!!!

Thanks,
    Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    OT, Hornady now makes a flex tip, spire point bullet designed especially for lever action rifles with a tubular magazine. They're 160 grains in weight and safe to load and shoot in a lever rifle. They also make a powder for it, LEVERevolution. It increases the velocity by some 200 FPS or so, and increases the range of the 30-30 out to 250-300 yards. I've loaded some but haven't shot them yet. The bullet is called FTX.