Thread: Truck needs more work

Default Truck needs more work

I now drive a 1996 Dodge Ram Magnum 2500 3/4 ton v10 8.0. Itís not 4x4 but itís a club cab at least thatís what I been told
    There was a young guy who used to stay here nearby who loved to work on vehicles with his friends and my boss/landlord let them use his shop for those projects.
    Boss talked him into helping me out for basically free in order to get a reduction on said guys rent which worked out fine for what needed to be done
    My fuel pump mp was leaking gas all over the place. He did the work on the weekends which didnít stress me out at all cause I knew where my truck was. Right here on the property
    My neighbor and co worker canít drive or afford to own a vehicle as she is on social security and I help her get groceries and I also pick up feed for her dogs and chickens
    She mentors me in ways I couldnít afford to pay for
    This truck right now needs a head gasket replaced and a rear main seal replaced which was going to be done by the same guy who fixed my fuel pump
    His job was dependent on the oil pipeline and covid shut that down locally and he had to move on down the road with the rest of the guys.
    I canít afford to bring it to a shop and there isnít anyone nearby that can help
    If there were YouTube videos to show me how to do the head gasket I would by the tools and do it myself over a period of time
    Napa store is basically 1/4 mile away.
    I also got a camper shell on the back of the truck to help keep supplies dry and we can get use the back of the truck as a freezer during the hard core winter months.
    Can someone mentor me through this in here
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by silvergramma; 12-14-2020 at 12:44 AM.

Get you a Chiltons manual from your NAPA for that truck. It'll give pretty detailed instructions on most repairs.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Get you a Chiltons manual from your NAPA for that truck. It'll give pretty detailed instructions on most repairs.
    This is solid advice right here. Plus, when/if the grid goes down you have a book that shows you how to fix the truck.

In my experience, the hardest thing is going to be getting the exhaust manifold bolts off without breaking them. That can be a challenge with old and/or high mileage vehicles. Soak them for several days prior to removing them in penetrating oil. That will help them come off easier. The good news though, if one does break, is the cylinder head has to come off anyway to change the head gasket. So even if one does break, it can be fixed with the head off the motor.

I am a former mechanic, though I have to admit that I never worked on that motor.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Ok maybe itís not a head gasket thing cause these are not the symptoms my truck is giving me. Itís just what I was told
    Itís leaking oil hard to tell you without a picture and I can take a picture of where itís doing that but I have forgotten how to upload a pic onto a thread

Napa about 1/4 mile from me time to put aside the 50 greens to get a manual

Quote Originally Posted by silvergramma View Post
    Ok maybe itís not a head gasket thing cause these are not the symptoms my truck is giving me. Itís just what I was told
    Itís leaking oil hard to tell you without a picture and I can take a picture of where itís doing that but I have forgotten how to upload a pic onto a thread
    If it's leakin' oil, my first guess would be it might be a valve cover gasket but I know nothin' about this motor.
    Oil in the coolant could indicate head gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Vale74 View Post
    If it's leakin' oil, my first guess would be it might be a valve cover gasket but I know nothin' about this motor.
    Oil in the coolant could indicate head gasket.
    A Leaking head gasket is bad news. Check the oil for whitish foamy stuff - that's coolant mixed with oil. The other indicator of a leaking head gasket in a gas engine would be shooting out the middle of a spark plug - water gets into the cylinder, gets compressed and expands - forcefully... Also bad news. For someone with the right tools, and some skill, it's a days work more or less to change one. No idea what a head gasket kit costs these days, upwards of $100?

A leaking valve cover gasket is pretty simple to fix, and cheap. 45 minutes? $20? Symptoms are leaking oil.

As I learned as a kid, if the engine is running, oil is cheap.

And if you have access to one, borrow a manual from the library. $50 to discover you need $400 or more worth of hand tools, and physical strength that you may have difficulty with is a bad investment to me.
    Good medicine in bad places

Agree with Finris...

Rocker box gaskets are relatively easy to change out...

Head gaskets take a lot more time and effort...

Fortunately I have a garage and air compressor.and also pneumatic tools..but have done it the olde fashioned way....

Also if you plan on keeping a vehicle..it is worth your time to get the books/manuals on it.

I have so done not only for my cars/truck..but also my scooters and mopeds...even my washing machine and dryer..

Your choice...but if you plan on keeping a vehicle or other equipments....manuals are good to have.

The web and u tube are good for certain info...but I try not to count totally on the web....your call!!

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Quote Originally Posted by silvergramma View Post
    Napa about 1/4 mile from me time to put aside the 50 greens to get a manual

there's plenty of people around like me that has shelves & shelves of Chilton repair manuals for vehicles over the decades >>> before spending the $50 bucks I'd be asking around on Facebook and Craigslist - might find a repair source or some knowledge also ....

also check the the public library - most are internet linked with book sharing inventory in a huge territory coverage - I get books sent in from all over the state within a few days .....