Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New BaoFeng

Default My New BaoFeng

My new Baofeng radio came in Sat. and I have not been able to get a good internet signal since then. Okay,

It's a UV-82X3 and the manual and the screen do not correlate. So, Dr. Fidel, orangetom, et. al. I need you guys to help me get myself in trouble with this thing. Just kidding, until I have my Ham I will NOT transmit--for real. Anyway, thank you all in advance anyway.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

Voor Trekker,

You can use the Baofeng radios in the USA on the GMRs/FRS frequencies and also on the MURS frequencies without a license.

Here the GMRS/FRS frequencies..

https://wiki.radioreference.com/inde..._channel_chart

I have a number of these frequencies programmed into my Baofeng UV 5 R radios.

Also here the MURS frequencies and I use these locally here and do not use my call sign..

http://www.csgnetwork.com/mursfreqtable.html

These frequencies GMRS/FRS and MURS I use locally in simplex mode...radio to radio...no repeater in between.

Your call...your choice....most people have never heard or seen exactly what the GMRS/FRS and the MURS frequencies look like...to manually program them into the radios.

These radios can be tricky to manually program but I learned it off a U Tube video....to manually insert or program in various frequencies.

Hope this helps.

73 to you and your house.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

good stuff tom
    and VoorTrekker a few other suggestions:
    go to radioreference and get list government frequencies used in your area (LEO, EMA, fire, etc) listening to those can be very useful for early warning
    and you can program in the NOAA frequencies also for weather info

but you really want to find the local ham club in your area, those guys will know all the frequencies in your area - like the local repeaters
    one way to find HAMs is to go to the FCC
    go here: https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...rchAmateur.jsp
    type in just your zip code under the Licensee section, hit search and you will see all the HAMs in that zip (many will be preppers)
    one clue to those that are likely to be preppers you will see in the right hand column which is the expiration date.
    subtract 10 years and you will see when the license was obtained.
    high likelyhood that someone that got a license in the last few years is a prepper

Great first step. You can upgrade those Baofeng with bigger battery and better antenna, including a magnet mount that can be used on car. I have a 18" tactical antenna that I keep folded down if not using. Also get a mic so that you get that wattage away from your brain.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

It came with a mike and headset, an extra antenna and a usb cable (?). I named her Barbara because she has so many buttons and I will never know which combination gets me "the signal."

Thanks orangetom, I will use that site and explo, for the suggestions. Now I can finally get frustrated and confused while amusing myself.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!

suggest you read this article closely and hit all the tangent links provided >>> good info and some updated manuals

https://www.bugoutbagbuilder.com/lea...cy-frequencies

Wow,,,that is a great link Illini Warrior and thanks for posting it. I have bookmarked it for future reference....

A footnote about the UV 5 R....as well as the BF F8HP Baofeng radios I have ...

Under Emergency conditions you do not need a license to handle an Emergency radio traffic.

Also another footnote..

At work in very inclement conditions...weather...the Kenwood radios we use ..people often put them in plastic bags and use them.

I have done this here at home with both my Baofeng UV 5 R and BF F8HP radios...and been able to get into a number of local repeaters....through the plastic bags.

Good information to know....rather than get your radio waterlogged.

I now have some 7 or 8 of these Baofeng radios here at home with spare batteries ...also antenna adapters....and one at work with spare antennas and batteries...antenna adapters.

For the monies they are a good value.

Caution....

You members handle this how you want....

I do not perform the programming with the computer cable...for a reason.

IN SHTF or TEOTWAWKI conditions chances are you will not have access to a computer.....all updates and inputs will need be done manually.

This is why I have taught myself to do all inputs/programming manually.

Your choice...but it is my rationale for going manual rather than computer programming.

In SHTF or TEOTWAWKI....we will be doing many many things manually.

Hope this helps.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 11-21-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Hello

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Illini and OT

Your welcome Voor Trekker.

I should tell you that in traveling about town the other day I was using my BF F8HP Baofeng radio with the 3800 mille amp hour battery..the heavy duty one and it began going low...and the radio spoke out ..."Low Battery." in English. Fortunately I keep a spare 3800 mille amp hour battery also in the car and switched them out.

When I got home I did immediately put that low battery on the charger and the next day put in back in the car as my spare battery.

Just a note if you decide to go the Baofeng route to keep spare batteries for them....

It is a characteristic of these Baofeng radios that when the battery gets low the performance of these radios drops off very quickly ...to almost zero...so keep spares.

Hope this helps.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.