Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold tonight scooting home from work.....Winter is coming....

Ot . Might I make a minor suggestion. That wife beater and pocket tee are cotton correct?. That's a horrible base layer for winter. I got a buddy who in his younger days climbed everest a few times. He always says cotton kills. I have headed his warnings. As you sweat the cotton sucks up the moisture and holds it against your body. And keeps you cold. I'm not the fashion police. But a under armor style base layer would be leaps and bounds above the wife beater... Just trying to help keep ya warm. If that scooter takes a poop and your walking home. Cotton kills. Just my thoughts. Not being a Karen or anything.... My buddy also said a good mountaineer pees clear......stay hydrated friends...lol

Poly propylene next to your skin, wicks away moisture. lots of good synthetics out there to keep you warm and dry, but in my mind you can't beat wool to keep warm in inclement weather. Growing up we had woolrich coats, the old black and red ones, we wore them deer hunting, got soaked and felt like they weighed 100 dang pounds , but we sat out all day in freezing weather and survived. I grew up in sheep country and never saw one freeze to death.

LOL LOL LOL....you got that one right backpacker1513.....

Driftz, you left out the fact OT was found still riding with a HUGE smile on his face.

I do so enjoy the ride..even if it is a little 50 cc scooter. There is something about two wheels...it can get habit forming. I miss it if I don't ride for a few days.

The Scooter is perfect for me about town and if I do not have a huge load to carry.

I save my gas for big loads or the weekends in the car or truck.

But once I get a couple of blocks away from work ...going home at night ...that is my time....me ...my skills, the road, and the weather....my time.

I verily enjoy the ride home with little traffic on the road and after midnight.

Thanks for the advice Driftz 240. I am riding about 8 miles across town...and it takes about 20 to 25 minutes depending on traffic.

I do not ride for 45 minutes at 65 MPH like some..though there have been some nights in past years riding at 20 plus degrees..it really shows there even at about 40 mph.

One of the two jackets I wear is a wool jacket with hood...and it is very warm...

Hard to beat layering up...

For the coldest days...insulated coveralls or my snowmobile suit...

That winter wind can cut like a knife and or draw the heat right out of you.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 11-20-2020 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Y'all got some cold that cuts like a razor. Our cold ain't mean like that.
    Don't know that I've ever been colder than ridin' in the fog in the Bay Area. Always chilled you to the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Vale74 View Post
    Don't know that I've ever been colder than ridin' in the fog in the Bay Area. Always chilled you to the bone.
    You just ain't spent a winter in Korea!

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post

My father served in the Navy U. D. T. during the Korean War. I recall him talking about being on the deck of a destroyer during the winter readying for a mission as weapons were being distributed. He was issued a Colt 1911. He said it was so cold outside he was pretty sure his trigger finger would be so frozen by the time he might need to use it that it would be useless.

Brrrrrr .....

And in other areas of the Korean War ..... it wasn't called "The Frozen Chosin" for nothing ...

It gets pretty cold in Ohio. But the coldest I've been was stationed at langley afb. I just spent 2 years in the okinawa heat. And went to langley in jan 1999. Working on the flight line in a snowy sleet. And that air coming off the bay. Hands were pretty useless. Had to sit in an expeditor truck for a few minutes. Go work for 30 min, warm hands up, work 30

Quote Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
    I moved 120 miles further south over the summer. Seeing how the ONLY winter prep at the old house was to put insulated covers on the outside water spigots, I don’t think there is any winter prep that has to be done down here.

OT, when I used to ride in really cold weather(colder than 20 degrees) I would wear thermal underwear, a “wife beater” for the above posted reasons, sweat pants, firehose pants over those, a sweat shirt, and my riding jacket with its liner installed. After trying many different glove combinations I found a thin wool glove liner and my snowboarding gloves over them were the best combination. My hands must have bad blood circulation cause they get cold really easily.

I do miss riding............
    Winter prep down there is making sure you have gas for the lawnmower and weed eater.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Ha ak474u, I enjoy maintaining my property but I also enjoy having to do it only 6 or 7 months out of the year.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    You're right, and I hope never to have to.