Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold tonight scooting home from work.....Winter is coming....

Default Cold tonight scooting home from work.....Winter is coming....

Took my car yesterday as it was very windy and I do not care for riding my scooter in high winds and being blown across..to and fro the road.

But today I took my scooter though I knew it would be cold...

Wore two hooded jackets.

Also under my pocket Tee Shirt I wore what some call a "wifebeater " Tee shirt. I have discovered that these wifebeaters fit closer to the body and thus hold in more heat...and then I Put my pocket Tee over the wife beater.

Then my shirt and on top of that my denim vest..

Then the two hooded coats.

Have thinsulate gloves and that verily helps.

I have discovered that what also helps is the C19 mask under my helmet face lens...in keeping my face warm.

For the coldest days I also have in one of my coat pockets is a balaclava..or what I also call a Ninja face mask...a black complete head mask with only an opening for my eyes and nose....but the nose can be covered if need be.

https://www.amazon.com/Achiou-Balacl...5769116&sr=8-5

I also have for the very coldest of days ..insulated coveralls...and that helps tremendously...

I like riding my scooters about town ...though I have two cars and a truck....go figure.

This gear also helps at work if I need to be outside for some tasks...but now days mostly I am in the shop...thank goodness...

Leave a lot of that outside work for the younger bucks.

Yup...Winter is Coming....disconnected my garden hoses from the faucets and have them doing a slow drip. It is supposed to get into the twenties some time tonight....

Thinking this is going to be a cold cold winter this year.

Having a bowl of hot chicken soup as I type this out....just what the doctor ordered...for tonight's weather.

Reckon I'd better stock up on chicken soup..

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 11-19-2020 at 02:10 AM.

driftz sees OT riding scooter.
    driftz rolls down window : get a car ya hippy...
    OT is found hands frozen on handlebars smile on face days later by local law enforcment..still riding in a straight line. he was still getting 120 mpg at 28mph
    Last edited by driftz240; 11-19-2020 at 07:35 AM.

winter prep lasts as long as the weather cooperates >>> today and tomorrow is almost 70 degrees - finish some projects that were maybes and start & finish some new ones ....

around the Midwest it's winter prep time after Labor Day - good snowfall could be the next month >>> SHTFs also include everyday problems - winter problems aren't good - good prepping includes early & complete winter preparing

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Took my car yesterday as it was very windy and I do not care for riding my scooter in high winds and being blown across..to and fro the road.

But today I took my scooter though I knew it would be cold...

Wore two hooded jackets.

Also under my pocket Tee Shirt I wore what some call a "wifebeater " Tee shirt. I have discovered that these wifebeaters fit closer to the body and thus hold in more heat...and then I Put my pocket Tee over the wife beater.

Then my shirt and on top of that my denim vest..

Then the two hooded coats.

Have thinsulate gloves and that verily helps.

I have discovered that what also helps is the C19 mask under my helmet face lens...in keeping my face warm.

For the coldest days I also have in one of my coat pockets is a balaclava..or what I also call a Ninja face mask...a black complete head mask with only an opening for my eyes and nose....but the nose can be covered if need be.

https://www.amazon.com/Achiou-Balacl...5769116&sr=8-5

I also have for the very coldest of days ..insulated coveralls...and that helps tremendously...

I like riding my scooters about town ...though I have two cars and a truck....go figure.

This gear also helps at work if I need to be outside for some tasks...but now days mostly I am in the shop...thank goodness...

Leave a lot of that outside work for the younger bucks.

Yup...Winter is Coming....disconnected my garden hoses from the faucets and have them doing a slow drip. It is supposed to get into the twenties some time tonight....

Thinking this is going to be a cold cold winter this year.

Having a bowl of hot chicken soup as I type this out....just what the doctor ordered...for tonight's weather.

Reckon I'd better stock up on chicken soup..

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    OT, have you ever tried any of the columbia omni heat gear? It's amazing what it can do for you as a base layer. I've been in -24F with 3 layers on and been fine. Especially lightweight gear. The stuff also packs up really small.

Neutrino,

No...I've not even heard of that brand of gear...I shall keep an eye out for it.

Mostly I know to layer up....particularly likle flannels in the winter time.

Thanks for letting me know.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite

Thinsulate for the win OT. Good stuff.

Stay warm!
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    driftz sees OT riding scooter.
    driftz rolls down window : get a car ya hippy...
    OT is found hands frozen on handlebars smile on face days later by local law enforcment..still riding in a straight line. he was still getting 120 mpg at 28mph
    Driftz, you left out the fact OT was found still riding with a HUGE smile on his face.

Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

He always rides. Ot is like ghost rider.....??but like a scooter version

Y'all got some cold that cuts like a razor. Our cold ain't mean like that.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I moved 120 miles further south over the summer. Seeing how the ONLY winter prep at the old house was to put insulated covers on the outside water spigots, I don’t think there is any winter prep that has to be done down here.

OT, when I used to ride in really cold weather(colder than 20 degrees) I would wear thermal underwear, a “wife beater” for the above posted reasons, sweat pants, firehose pants over those, a sweat shirt, and my riding jacket with its liner installed. After trying many different glove combinations I found a thin wool glove liner and my snowboarding gloves over them were the best combination. My hands must have bad blood circulation cause they get cold really easily.

I do miss riding............
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best