Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How things are going in your area?

Default How things are going in your area?

Has your own city/state done a good job so far for containing Covid-19 cases?

I've read in the news that lockdowns are returning in some parts of the US and one specifically in North Dakota. The latest wave of cases is washing over nearly every part of the United States, unlike the spring, when it was concentrated in the New York metropolitan area.

Here in Nebraska, we are getting hit hard.

My town ordered a mask mandate complete woth fines and/or jail time if you dont comply. There is a small but growing group who is claiming masks are an over reach and unconstitutional

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.”

If masks worked, our numbers wouldn’t keep getting worse lol.

Here in NC, we're hearing about all the new cases. Our governor is a (omitted). We have mask mandates, there's talk about further restricting restaurants etc here too.

I guess all weddings are limited to 8 people total.. Funerals the same. No tables larger then 8 at restaurants.. They are even trying to limit how many people can be at a private residence

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.”

Uptick in cases here, some precautions lifted earlier have made a comeback. Some people are getting lax about things. It's a very human propensity.

We're still very vigilant here. Wife wanted pizza from her favorite place the other night.... an indulgence these days. After she made the call, I spread out a trash bag on the kitchen island and got another one opened up and positioned over a couple drawer knobs, and set the oven on 400. Pizza arrived, I took delivery on the front porch, had the wife manage front door. Set down pizza box (which delivery guy had handled) on the island (trash bag) and got the box opened up. Wife opens the oven and I deftly slide the pizza out of the box, onto the rack... wife closes the oven while I dump the box in the bag draped over the drawer knobs, toss the bag outside, and wash up my hands. It's a ritual we've gotten pretty good at these past few months. I know the pizza cook staff and delivery guy THINK they're not being careless and not taking risks... but I just don't trust them to always be 100% perfect and we can't afford a slip-up. This at least I can control and taking that sort of control from the outset has kept us well in a state with a lot of infections since February, when they first took cruise ship patients to a military base not 40 minutes from here.

Now's the wrong time to be letting one's guard down IMHO.
    Last edited by bruss01; 11-19-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    "The thing about smart people is they seem like crazy people to dumb people" - Stephen Hawking

Here in Alabama we seem to be accruing @1100+- cases per day statewide. Hospitals are a bit crunched. I found out recently that one of my cousins and his wife had covid19 and recovered, but nonetheless our Thanksgiving has been CANCELLED this year.

I said about 1100 cases were added a day but last week we had one day of @2000. Maybe ....maybe.... we are seeing a downtrend? I dunno.

When I was working, I used big data to combine with other big data to combine... until we had enough data points to tell a story with the statistics we were using. For instance: I worked on a project that followed several dating sites and determined their "success" rate. Meaning how many first dates turned into marriages. The data were all out there.

What does this have to do with COVID-1984?

Statistics. And the numbers are FUBAR. Completely F---d Up Beyond All Recognition. They have been mucking with every data point in the whole set, to the point it's impossible to separate truth from fiction.

Numbers of new cases: You would think this would be a simple thing to figure out. A patient tests positive, and the bell rings for a new case. But wait! Was the test a blood test, which tests for antibodies, in which case it says the patient HAD the Dread Wuhan flu. If they had the plague, were they already counted? Or was the test a nasal swab, indicating the patient has been EXPOSED to the Chinese Plague, not necessarily CONTRACTED the Wuhan Virus. It has been shown the CDC NHS and labs are counting any positive test as a new case. Because of this, we have no idea what the infection rate is, nor do we know how many people have the disease. This is by design. Inflate the numbers. Frighten the people. Scared people make poor decisions. We even had several major testing labs that reported 100% positive results for infection. How many of those were false positives?

Numbers of deaths: Another simple number to tabulate. A patient dies of COVID and DING! the bell rings for another death of the plague (and an angel gets its wings). But this number is also corrupted. Anyone dying of anything that tests positive for the China Flu, is counted as dying of the China flu. Never mind the circumstances of their deaths. This inflates the death rate. BUT WAIT! This statistic has a quick sanity check. If so many more people are dying from this virus, we should see an increase in the overall death rate. All things being equal, people die all the time of old age, heart attacks, cancer, car wrecks, industrial accidents, bar bets, and just plain stupidity. Add COVID into the mix and a number that has been tabulated and calculated enumerable times by actuaries for insurance purposes, should see a marked difference. THERE IS NONE.

WHAT?!?! COVID is not killing extra people? How can this be? Someone is lying. The statistics are off. There is your proof.

Lets look at survival rates. The survival rate is a ratio of the number of people who survive the virus over the number of people who get the disease, multiplied by 100. That is a number that is not reported much at all. Because the inflated infection numbers and death counts, the survival rate looks FAR better than it really is. Add in all the asymptomatic cases and nobody knows what the survival rate really is. Nobody. How can they? The asymptomatic cases are not tested, not counted, not recognized, which further skews the statistics.

OK.
    OK.
    OK.

With big data, there is always a sanity check. Sometimes you have to look around for it, but it is always there. ALWAYS.

Sanity Check: Statistically, Are these new cases overwhelming the hospitals? We know a certain percentage of people who get sick with the Wuhan Plague, end up in the hospital. You would expect at some point, the hospitals would run out of beds. Let's check. How do hospitals make their money? You would think hospitals make money by providing service, and that is only partly true. They make most of their money by making agreements with insurance companies, called capitation agreements. Meaning the hospital gets paid per head that is subscribed to the insurance company and reserving some beds to cover their agreement. Regardless whether they are admitted or not. Meaning they make more money from some insurance companies by NOT providing service. SCOFF and they call me Crazy. I know it's messed up.

Looking at the profits of the hospitals (available in any prospectus of publicly traded companies) they are up. Looking at the HMO and PPO providers' profits: they are up in record numbers. WAIT! Insurance companies make money by collecting insurance payments. They lose money by paying that money out for services. If people were getting so sick, shouldn't we see a DOWN trend in their profits? I so got into the wrong business. I only got paid if I WORKED!

Remember the sanity check? Actuarial tables are calculated out to 6 digits of accuracy and in some cases 8 digits. Insurance companies are in business to stuff their pockets with your cash, and the actuarial tables are in place so they can do just that. A fluxuation in the statistics of 0.00001% would cause a shift in the pricing structure of premiums and underwriting practices. There has been no such fundamental shift.

And that, class is why the Crazy Uncle calls Bull Huey on the whole thing. and why I have no idea what so ever how things are going in the Democrat Republic of Oregon.

Bull Huey is the stuff that comes out of the South end of a North-bound bull.
    Last edited by Crazy Uncle; 11-19-2020 at 06:42 PM.
    "You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

My a.o is awesome. Our sheriff basically told the governor were not the cerfew and mask police. So as normal as it can be.