Thread: faraday contents

Default faraday contents

what are you keeping in your faraday cage?
    tell me what i am missing
    here's my contents so far:

baofengs
    hand crank radio
    short wave radio
    scanner radio
    rechargeable batteries
    android tablets
    old throw away phone
    kindle
    old laptops
    sd card / usb
    flashlights
    dewalt 20v charger
    night vision
    game cameras
    blood pressure tester
    nikon camera
    battery powered motion sensor lights
    headlamps
    battery charger
    OTG cable
    button batteries
    regular LED light bulbs
    inverter

"old throw away phone" >>>?????

you should have a landline phone - good chance the phone system survives to some extent - Ma Bell started cooperating with the gooberment & military after WW2 and it's only become more hardened with the satellites and fiber optic cabling - might not have call out service but reverse 911 to spread info & advice ....

same same with a cell phone - the 911 feature continues on even without a phone service plan .....

Most of my stuff that would use batteries or electricity but for post SHTF I duplicated with hand crank items to save space in a FC. Also, I bought a crank bag phone. About the only thing I keep in a FC is batteries and 2 baofengs that are both walkies and shortwave.
    I have solar censor lights
    My BP tester or sphygmomanometer is manual.
    The rest is just back ups and magnetized wire to rewind small motors.
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    "old throw away phone" >>>?????

you should have a landline phone - good chance the phone system survives to some extent - Ma Bell started cooperating with the gooberment & military after WW2 and it's only become more hardened with the satellites and fiber optic cabling - might not have call out service but reverse 911 to spread info & advice ....

same same with a cell phone - the 911 feature continues on even without a phone service plan .....
    Problem is they've been taking out the copper wires as tech advances. Fiber optic must be boosted by electricity every so often, no power, no comms.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

What's wrong with drums and smoke signals? : They don't need no faraday cage.
    Last edited by beowulf; 10-25-2020 at 12:28 AM.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Speaking of 911, the system in Washington state was out a few days back. Another in a list of failures across the country. Wonder if the chinese hackers are practicing up for election day or what ever. I appears to me, big brother won out on this one, with gps tracking remotely enabled in cells, or renumbering entire towns to meet 911 "standards".

I much preferred the old days, when someone asked where Mary lived, the answer would be: in the yellow house across from Johnson's cow pasture, instead of 43657 Governor Smith Highway.

Quote Originally Posted by flock6 View Post
    Problem is they've been taking out the copper wires as tech advances. Fiber optic must be boosted by electricity every so often, no power, no comms.
    power has never been a problem - Ma Bell has it covered - don't know what they are doing these days >>> the phone company emergency generating bunkers are still around - one came up for sale a few years ago - remote buried bunker with ginormous fuel tanks and double generators with enough KW to lite a small city .....

supposedly that "backdoor" priority access still exists for the military & gooberment - I'd guess they can't just abandon the landline system or make changes that affect the effectiveness ....

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/...tt_long_lines/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autovon

http://coldwar-c4i.net/ATT_Project/VA06/index.html

https://www.missilebases.com/communi...ker-russell-ks
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 10-25-2020 at 10:46 AM.

I have a Garmin Inreach and Sat phone that I take on remote hunts and offshore fishing, and don't need every day. The phone will only be as good as anybody I want to reach at the other end of the line, but I can reach by satellite if anybody else has one, I know a few sat phone numbers, but don't know if they are safely stored.

The Garmin Inreach interfaces with my cell phone, and between the two of them I have a map of my AO no matter where I am, and other maps in the In Reach itself.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields