Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Foreign Languge to Study?

Default Best Foreign Languge to Study?

Hey guys! So I'm currently trying to figure out if I want to study a language or not and was just curious if anyone here has ever gone through the process.

What was the language you chose? How difficult was it? Why did you study it? Have you used it since you studied? Do you go overseas and use it? Do you use it to communicate with family/friends? Thanks!

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Most of the kids these days, need a handle on English, good place to start.
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Most of the kids these days, need a handle on English, good place to start.
    Boy, ain't that the truth!

Best by what standard? Easiest? Hardest? Most useful if your plane goes off course and you wind up in some unknown country?

Personally I'd choose German, only because I studied Spanish in grade school and it's old hat, and German is the only language I'm sufficiently curious about to consider. Maybe I'll figure out what an ezsett is .

Quote Originally Posted by Laluzin View Post
    Hey guys! So I'm currently trying to figure out if I want to study a language or not and was just curious if anyone here has ever gone through the process.

What was the language you chose? How difficult was it? Why did you study it? Have you used it since you studied? Do you go overseas and use it? Do you use it to communicate with family/friends? Thanks!
    I speak 3, English is my native language, then Japanese is my primary second language, and I'm working on spanish.

I think you'll have to determine what you'd like your foreign languages to be able to accomplish for you. If you want to be able to recruit labor or run crews / translate for lots of companies in the US, spanish would be a great foreign language to start with. I personally learned far more japanese by living there and living in it every single day.

Each language comes with its own difficulties and simplicities. I would say just pick a culture you enjoy learning about, and dovetail that into a foreign language.

It really depends on what you are planning on doing.

Spanish is likely the most practical second language for a US citizen. Mandarin is a strong second choice.

The thing about learning a second or third language is that it seems to make learning even more languages easier. That second language is hard, especially if you're older, but then the third gets easier.

Personally, I speak, write and read fluently, English, Spanish, German, and Hebrew. I can speak less fluently, French and Arabic. Pretty much read only, Latin.
    And I can muddle around in a few others. My kids are good to go in English, Spanish, Hebrew, son is GTG in Arabic and German, daughter in French and German and is currently learning Mandarin (Babbel is your friend).
    Good medicine in bad places

I took three quarters of French in College, mostly because I liked how it sounded and I was an art student, so I had aspirations of going to Paris some day, sounds silly now. But learning one of the "Romance" languages is a good idea, because they are all more closely related to each other than English, so once you have a grasp on one, the others will be easier to learn.

At one point, I had wanted to learn a major language for each continent so if I found myself stranded somewhere, I could reasonably expect to converse with the locals. That still hasn't happened yet either. My dad was an international water well drilling rig salesman, and he would come home with snippets of Arabic for fun, wanted to learn that for kind of a "know your enemy" situation after 9-11, but that hasn't happened yet either.

I've been teaching my kids what little French I remember as we are in the car, for fun. Best time to learn is when they are young. I need to get some kind of program so we can really do some hard core learning, since Americans tend to be on the low end of "quantity of languages spoken", especially compared to Europeans. One of the casualties of being a native English speaker, the international language of trade. We don't HAVE to know another language, so we tend not to learn.

Spanish. At the rate things are going it will be the official language of the US soon.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

If I were a younger me. Arabic. And go work for the NSA or via or something fun.

FidelMD is correct on the more you learn the better and easier it is to learn. After about 3 they seem to get real easy for the most part. You learn how to place things in your head and organize them.
    Agian what some here have already stated. What are you doing it for?

The best way to learn a Language is Immersion. I can guarntee you it works. **** your pants once and you will learn some vital words!!!

There are some very professional schools for learning languages. Babble is fine for you if you have never been outside the U.S. and have no intentions of going.
    Babble wants things done in a certain way. I was going up in level to see if the program could handle a higher level of responsce and no.