Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Foreign Languge to Study?

Spanish. Workforce liason

Well, many years ago, when I was still in school, I studied Spanish, German, French and Russian. Of those, I actually found Russian to be the easies because there was nothing to confuse it with and French to be the hardest.

Of them all I can still speak a bit of German, but have a hard time understanding somebody speaking it because I hear it so rarely. I spent 2 1/5 years living in Germany While I was in the Army and could carry a basic conversations - meaning that I could get my point across and could understand enough to get by. But is has been 35 years since using it. As a result I have heard so little of it that I have a hard time understanding the spoken language. But even with my background with the language, I wouldn't take it now because, even when traveling through Germany in recent years I didn't have occasion to try to use it. When I would attempt to try speaking in German, everyone would respond in English that every bit as good as mine is.

Spanish, I know a few words hear and there and can understand the spoken word a bit better, simply because I hear it occasionally, but am certainly not conversant in it and aside form a few phrases, I certainly could not communicate it in. However, If I were to go back an take a language now, this would be it. It is spoken enough that no matter where you are in the US it is a usable language that you can actually practice in your daily life.

While Russian was the easiest for me, while I was in school, because it was so different that there was nothing to confuse it with, I wouldn't take it now simply because I would never use it. I have been to Russia and again, everybody there speaks very good English and that seemed to be their preference when speaking with foreign travelers.

As for French.... I have been to France a few times and they certainly prefer speaking French over English. So much so that in some areas they seem to go out of their way to make it difficult for anybody who is not fluent in French, even if you speak a bit and try. Personally, unless I was planning on spending a reasonable amount of time in France, I would not go this route.

With all that being said, I can at least say hello, thank you and in some cases a few other phrases, in several languages. It helps tremendously, in most countries, if the people you are dealing with think that you are interested enough in at least trying.