Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baofeng radio

Default Baofeng radio

I知 been interested in some type of hand held communication device. I want to have a few so family members etc. can communicate . I know the walki talkies that Walmart sells says 35 miles or whatever. The things there not that good . I dont want to get to complex set up . They will only be used in a emergency/ SHTF situation.
    I have also considered CB hand held radio. I just want to be able to talk back and forth with my group.
    What would you guys recommend . Hand held CB or Baofeng? Also to want to go complex as HAM radio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the money baofeng are worth having. Get better antennas than what is sold with them. They'll perform much better.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Buy the radio for $25 and the replacement antenna will run $35
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:

get the baofeng - preferably the 8 watt version
    yes, better antennas give more range, but I can reach a repeater about 10 miles away with the 5 watt radio and stock antenna.
    a good bang for the buck is the mag mount car antenna
    find your local HAM club they will be a big help to you

Quote Originally Posted by 46camper View Post
    I知 been interested in some type of hand held communication device. I want to have a few so family members etc. can communicate . I know the walki talkies that Walmart sells says 35 miles or whatever. The things there not that good . I dont want to get to complex set up . They will only be used in a emergency/ SHTF situation.
    I have also considered CB hand held radio. I just want to be able to talk back and forth with my group.
    What would you guys recommend . Hand held CB or Baofeng? Also to want to go complex as HAM radio

For the monies I like the Baofeng walkie talkies. They are inexpensive and work well for the monies.

I use them on the 2 meter ham frequencies as well as 440 MHZ...and also you need to know that they can work on the same frequencies that the wal mart ....sports authority type radios use. I have manually programmed these wall mart frequencies into my Baofeng radios and these frequencies can be found on line.
    Also the Baofeng puts out a full watt on the 440 MHZ band versus the wal mart walkie talkies at half a watt....also the Baofeng antenna is more effecient at 440 MHZ than the wall mart type.

https://wiki.radioreference.com/inde..._channel_chart

My Baofeng radios also have programmed in them the MURS frequencies...simplex operation...radio to radio ..no repeaters.. The frequencies I use are in the 151 and 154 MHZ band..five of them. No license needed. I hear some of the people off the local CB bands on theses MURS frequencies.

https://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/MURS

Now..I have made for my Baofeng Walkie talkies ...several roll up emergency J pole antennas .....for portability. But often when needed I go to the top of a building...some 85 feet in the air and put on this antenna in place of the factory rubber duckie...as it is more efficient than the factory antenna

https://www.amazon.com/42-5-Inch-ABB.../dp/B07STB8BD6

Backpacker1513 is correct about more efficient antennas than the factory antennas. Most factory walkie talkies ..the antennas are marginal at best.

Altitude and antenna efficiency is the way to go if you can ...but......keep in mind operational security in SHTF or TEOTWAWKI. You may not want everyone to know what you are doing or about.....your call.
    I can run my Baofeng radios from my car and or truck by using an antenna adapter....to a magnetic mount antenna. I will often drive my car or truck to the roof of a parking garage when I need more altitude here locally or go home to my base station.

I have both the 8 watt and 5 watt versions of the Baofeng....

One thing to know....do not go too long on the duty cycle on these radios...the ratio to key up time to down/receive time...as they will heat up in long duty cycles. How long you keep the keyer pressed down...push to talk.

Other than that you should be ok..

Another thing you need to know about the Baofeng radios is that when the batteries get weak..they will stop working rapidly...so if you plan to keep them around I recommend spare batteries for them. I have regular sized batteries as well as the oversized 3800 mille amp hour batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-B...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

One more thing 46 Camper..are you a licensed ham??? Just curious here..

No call letters here please...we don't need that out in the open. Operational Security and all that stuff.

Again hope this helps.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaeltie.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 10-06-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Also have Baofeng 5w and 8w. Programmed in all area Leo frequencies as well as Murr. You can get the flat military type antenna for them, far superior to even the taller antenna. Extra batteries always a plus. I'm a HAM but in SHTF I just don't think that it will matter for long.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Agree with KINGCHIP...in SHTF or TEOTWAWKI it will not matter if you are a ham per se...what will matter is your experience/confidence in operating and maintaining a radio station portable/mobile or base station.

Agree again with KINGCHIP....when operating out in the field...extra batteries are always a plus. I even keep extra batteries in my pocket and daily BOB for my cell phone...

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

No I知 not licensed Ham . Maybe I should go with hand held CB

Quote Originally Posted by 46camper View Post
    No I知 not licensed Ham . Maybe I should go with hand held CB

Your choice 46 Camper....you can own a ham radio....no problem...your just not licensed to use it on the Ham frequencies...that's all.

You can use the Baofeng on the MURS frequencies and they will also work on those FRS/GMRS frequencies which are the frequencies used by the small Wall Mart/Sports Authority walkie talkies. The Baofeng will do all of that in one radio...the CB walkie talkies will not.

Something else often not known about the Baofeng walkie talkies ..they will receive on the FM radio broadcasting bands....just like on your car radio or home stereo..but FM only..no AM.

Also the Baofeng radios have in them a built in light source..and it works like a solid light or can strobe if needed.

Your call..but to me the Baofeng radios offer more flexibility/options to me than a CB walkie talkie in a small package.

Don't get me wrong here...I started out on CB years ago..and still go back to CB on my modified ham rigs to say hello to people I know.

I am just aware of what is out there...in the two way radio market...

Still ...your call 46 Camper....you don't need a license to order Baofeng radios....mine all came from Amazon...and they will send to your address...

On Amazon you can order the higher powered ham radio rigs and they will send them to your door as well. 100 watt rigs but not all of them will do what the Baofeng will do.

Just don't use them on the ham frequencies if you are not licensed....but you can use them on the other frequencies mentioned....no problem.

When the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happens...no one is going to argue with you if you have a license or not....that would be stupid....and my plans are if that situation happens I will not be using my ham call sign anyway and for operational security reasons.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 10-07-2020 at 02:14 AM.

Is Amazon the only place you can order hand held Baofeng radios ? Or do places like Cabelas sell them ?