Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a medical diagnosis today that I knew was coming

Default Got a medical diagnosis today that I knew was coming

Got officially diagnosed today with Parkinsonís. Have known this was coming for almost a year now so it isnít a shock to me. My wife and I even talked about it last night so she too knew it was coming. WAY too many symptoms to just be a coincidence (long term progressive loss of smell, occasional tremor in all 4 extremities , dystonia(involuntary muscle movement), fractured sleep, fatigue, and some others).

Luckily, a year ago I was put on medication that is used to treat Parkinsonís which has helped to slow the progression. Those same meds were increased in dosage today to try to get a better handle on it all.

Iím at peace with this diagnosis. My mental capacity is still good even if my body doesnít do what I want it to do at times. I called my job shortly after the diagnosis and my boss tells me not to worry about it and to PLEASE donít make any rash decisions regarding employment. She wants me to keep working with the school district even if Iím not driving a school bus. ďWe can make you a roving bus monitor if we have to. I donít want to loose you.Ē she tells me. So that is a weight off of my shoulders!!

So, all is good. There is a calming effect to this diagnosis, as strange as it sounds. Iíve been fighting these unseen medical problems for years now with the symptoms getting worse every year. But for the first time in a long time, no I know exactly what is going on. The mystery is gone. Yes, Parkinsonís is what Michael J Fox has. If yíall have any questions on it then please ask. I might not have all of the answers but itís good for me to find out more stuff about this.
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Prayers coming your way Cav.

Prayers going up Cav
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Prayers for you

With the right meds and motivation, Parks folks live a very full and productive life. My aunt has it. She was diagnosed 30 years ago and still going strong. She also suffers from fiber myalgia which concerns her more than Parks. FM is extremely painful.

God protect you David. You are in my prayers Hun!
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Well then.
    Letís see here. Not happy to hear this but am happy to hear more positive things. Omitting the ďnot knowing for sureĒ and you were proactive. And your employer seems to be kick
    Butt.

So. Prayers for you.

-John
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkieís and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

Thank yíall for the prayers. I do certainly appreciate it.

For me, the dystonia is currently the worst part of it all. Dystonia is an involuntary muscle movement, basically like a cross between a muscle cramp and a Charlie horse. Iíve had it for 5 years in my left foot and about a month in my right foot. When my feet cramp up, it stays that way until I either get into REM sleep or my dopamine level in my brain is increased enough through taking carbidopa/levodopa medication. Typical tricks to stop muscle cramps(potassium, bananas, pickle juice, apple cider vinegar, ect) have zero effect on it. So if my foot cramps up at 4pm, it typically stays cramped up and does not release until about 9pm, IF I take my medication after I eat supper at 7pm. It is painful but God has given me a high pain tolerance so that helps tremendously!! Wearing tight fitting shoes keeps my toes straight but the muscles are in a constant state of trying to curl my toes so it is painful to walk. I found that letting my feet cramp up actually hurts less than forcing my toes to stay straight. This is a video that I took recently that shows the dystonia really good in my left foot and the muscle spasms that I started getting as a precursor to the dystonia in my right foot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MODQqzhR68Y&t=37s

Beyond the dystonia, the part that has bothered me the most is loosing my coordination randomly. Iíve nearly fallen many times over the last few months. I go from standing or walking perfectly fine to loosing my balance with zero sensation changes. I can see that I am suddenly moving quickly in a direction I was not intending to go in and so far, I have been able to reach out to grab things and stop my fall. This may come to bite me in the future though(reaching out to stop a fall may end up causing a broken wrist in the future).

But God did not allow this to happen without it glorifying Him! This just adds to my testimony and is yet more proof that I am on the right track in my life. satan keeps trying to get me down in my life every time that Iím on the right track. So I keep on truckin, keep smiling, and keep thanking God for all the grace and blessings He has bestowed my family and I. And thank yíall here for being awesome! I appreciate it!
    Prepare for the worst, hope for the best

Should I ever have to face something like this, hope it would be with your attitude, sir. Best to you.

Prayers to you at max warp speed!