Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY! After 12 years of wanting to homestead, the dream is within reach!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Uncle View Post
    Congrats, Renee!
    Prep to live off grid. Since the fires here in the Democratic Republic of Oregon, our power has been out. We are at the end of the line, and just about the time they get to us, late Fall storms should be knocking down branches and trees.

I LOVE the idea of having a multi-generational home! I think that was the way we were meant to live.
    I don't think I can manage to get a system in place for full off-grid capability, without making my FIL just shake his head. But I do want to have SOME kind of solar setup for emergencies. My parents were indoctrinated very well by me, they are much farther along in their preps than I can, because they have the ability/money/land/etc. I'm really keen to start growing more food. I have a black thumb, but I still want to try. Looking to try fodder for the animals too, that's off grid feed option. Wanting to have my dad come out with the bobcat and dig me a walipini to start my aquaponics system up. My mom lost all her corn this year, just not long/hot enough for corn up here. I'm wanting to try an heirloom short sweet corn variety that matures in 55 days. Got lots of plans that have just been waiting for the stars to align. My hubby is a city boy, he used to say "I hate people" and I'd be like "Then let's move out of town!" and he would rebuff me. He's finally so fed up, rural living is sounding good. Hallelujah!

Also, since you are in Oregon, have you heard about the "Greater Idaho-Move Oregon's Border" petitions? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Renee; 09-18-2020 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    So some of you know I've got goats. I've pretty much be having to rely on the good graces of friends and family to actually have them, because I currently live in a condo in North Idaho. My parents have the goats and their horses on their 11 acres 30 minutes away from me. But things have been changing in the real estate market and in our family dynamics.

My MIL has always had the dream is living close to us and our kids. My husband had that with his grandparents growing up and she really wanted to duplicate that. My FIL just wants to get away from a mortgage. I want land, my husband wants enough room to have his friends over for tabletop or computer gaming(he's not a prepper, but goes along to get along). So we've all decided to go back to the old ways and create a three generation home with all 6 of us. I get my land so I can finally live with and milk my goats consistently. Nana gets to see the kids all she wants, hubby and FIL get a workshop, we all get to live in a nicer, newer house(hopefully).

So here's how crazy the real estate market is in the CDA area. My parents bought this condo for us 5 years ago as a short sale for $120k. They decided that if we agreed to sell it, they would pay the capital gains/taxes/realtor fees from the proceeds and I would "get my inheritance early" and be gifted the remainder. We put the condo up for sale, asking $250k and had 14 showings in 48 hours. It was NOT an open house. There are so many retiring cali refugees looking for property up here. 1 hour after the last showing, we had 5 offers and took the solid offer for $268k. I'm gonna be homeless by mid-October. My mom figures they will have around $225k to send our way once it is all done.

That was phase one. Phase two starts today. My in-laws are getting their house photographed today and their house will be listed for $425k on Monday. They are also approved with a VA loan for $120k if we need it.

Phase three is the hard part. Finding an existing house on at least 2 acres, hopefully 5 acres or build or go through a builder/developer. Building is terrifying, but every time we find something that fits our needs(there are four cooks in the kitchen), it has offers upon offers and is gone. So fast, which we understand, because we just took advantage. At this point we are leaning toward a developing 5 acre neighborhood and just waiting and waiting. We would be waiting if we did the building ourselves, because most well drillers/etc are months if not years out.

BUT, this means we are strapped into the rollercoaster and it ends with me GETTING MY HOMESTEAD! Goats! Chickens! Rabbits! Garden! Walipini! LTS food cache! WHOOHOO!
    congratulations!!!
    Beware of any HOA

LOL!
    I have heard of it. I would still be out of luck, because I live on the Western side of the mountains. If it weren't for Portland and Eugene, the communists here would be greatly out numbered. They spread like a virus, infecting the cities of every state. Look at Texas! Who would have thought Texas would have cities like Dallas and Austin? I am hoping this election is the red pill this country needs to expose the left for what it is.

Land. Do you have access to more land outside your fences? My property is bordered on 2 sides by BLM, which means every hunting season, I dress my animals in hunter's orange and get very aggressive in shooing people away from my fence line.
    "Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then." - Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    I don't think I can manage to get a system in place for full off-grid capability, without making my FIL just shake his head. But I do want to have SOME kind of solar setup for emergencies.
    You'd be surprised......a lot depends on the county regulations and/or how close they monitor them. We got a septic dug and solar in for less than $20k. Huge propane tank for gas, propane companies don't care as long as you pay them to deliver once a year....

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Uncle View Post
    LOL!
    I have heard of it. I would still be out of luck, because I live on the Western side of the mountains. If it weren't for Portland and Eugene, the communists here would be greatly out numbered. They spread like a virus, infecting the cities of every state. Look at Texas! Who would have thought Texas would have cities like Dallas and Austin? I am hoping this election is the red pill this country needs to expose the left for what it is.

Land. Do you have access to more land outside your fences? My property is bordered on 2 sides by BLM, which means every hunting season, I dress my animals in hunter's orange and get very aggressive in shooing people away from my fence line.
    At this point, we are still looking around at what is available. I basically need to be ready to view something ASAP and put an offer on it that day, otherwise it is gone. We are just trying to get to the point where we are fishing with the right bait. That would be cash in hand to offer. That will trump financing all day long. Even if we have to finance a little bit, still a better offer if most is in cash down.

Careful and don't rush, property is crazier than gold right now. Interest rates are stupid low, people are buying more than they should. Good deals are to be had especially if you have cash.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

You are looking in a market that most people are not interested in. Empty land, power to the curb, and no other utilities. 98% of the people out there would happily buy your place, after you have done all the work drilling, building, burrying, and clearing. A lot of the land that is for sale, is someone's failed attempt to build a "country estate". If you look at the history of the property, you can see the ones that get turned over every year or so, or the ones that have been up for sale FOR EVER. With a little investigation, you can pick up these hidden gems for a lot less than a developed piece of property.

My property changed hands 5 times in as many years, and each time it sold for just a little less than the time before. I don't know why. I have 2 wells which produce 45 gallons an hour of the sweetest water you have ever tasted. We had it tested and it is really clean. Hard but clean. I have over 180 acres and two fence lines are shared with BLM. It is easy to get snowed in, if the snow is very heavy. 4WD only after November. I think what really makes potential buyers a little cool toward this area, is the fact that the nearest Starbucks and delivery pizza is 45min away.

Take your time, and look in several places. There is almost 4 million square miles of land out there, and all you are looking for is 10 acres. You will find it.
    Last edited by Crazy Uncle; 09-20-2020 at 02:09 AM.
    "Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then." - Philip K. Dick

Congrats man!

Just kinda cleared another loop on this rollercoaster. Hubby had a brilliant idea and I poo-pooed it for a long time. In an effort to prove him wrong, I actually proved him right and it meant a huge leap forward on our timeline.

We were all four of us leaning toward building on land, went and look at a property that would a bit of work, but it already had a small building(560sqft), so all the utilities were to property already. We would need a bigger septic and then foundation for a triple wide. We had a floor plan all picked out at one manufactured home place, but hubby kept pushing to go see what was available to buy off the lot, demo house, at other dealers. So not wanting to go on a fools errand, I decided to call around and see if any of the other dealers had triple wides available to look at and if any were available to purchase off the lot. Well, low and behold, a different manufacturer had a very similar plan the one we wanted, just flipped, and it was the ONLY model available to purchase off the lot as it. So we all go look at it, everyone is giddy about it, and then the sales guy either manipulated us or we really just had great timing, but it started to look like there were other people looking to purchase it off the lot. Its the only one available in the state of WA for that model, so lots of interest. Then it became a race to get a deposit on it to hold for 10 days.

Yeesh! Fingers crossed now that both of our houses close in time to get the land and then 10% down on the house to make it ours. But what this really means is that instead of having to wait 20 weeks and pay $40,000 MORE than the plan we wanted previously, we could actually get into our new house before winter. If you are praying folks, say a word for us!

prayers for success.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.