Thread: Picked up a G5RV long wire antenna..

Default Picked up a G5RV long wire antenna..

Picked up a G5RV long wire dipole antenna today and will be putting it into a metal military ammo can with my other G5RV antenna...

I already have two HF radios in two Xiegu G 90 radios wrapped in foil and a heavy plastic bag and put into two other Ammo cans.

Will be working on the AC to DC power supply now.....and also a solar power supply set up to be put into ammo cans as well...as the connecting power lines..

Also picked up three special bubble levels to assist with mounting the glass on my Ruger Precision Rifle. I can now begin with this process as well.

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

I thought a G5RV was just coax and ladder line. As long as it's not connected to anything, there's no need to faraday cage one. Knowing basic antenna theory you can build something that'll work just as well out of a spool of wire. I've got some 12ga stranded core with brown insulation that I keep around for antenna builds. It's pretty much invisible in the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by austinrob View Post
    I thought a G5RV was just coax and ladder line. As long as it's not connected to anything, there's no need to faraday cage one. Knowing basic antenna theory you can build something that'll work just as well out of a spool of wire. I've got some 12ga stranded core with brown insulation that I keep around for antenna builds. It's pretty much invisible in the trees.
    NO...A G5RV is a dipole fed with ladder line..and it also has an attachment for a Pl259 connection feeding into the Ladder line which feeds to the copper dipole..

Nothing complex about it.

I also have a dipole set up for 160 meters..

Also my long wire loop is a 500 foot roll of 12 gauge black insulated copper stranded wire from Lowes. I keep also two spare rolls of that same 12 gauge copper stranded wire for spares. I like and prefer wire loop antennas but understand dipoles for ease of putting them up. This antenna too is fed via ladder line....to my tuner.

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

I packed a G5RV dipole antenna into a Metal Ammo Box...

Need to get about 75 feet of RG8 mini coaxial cable to go in this box with the antenna.

Hope to get around to this later this week.

Have another G5RV dipole antenna to put into another box with coaxial cable...

Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite.

Quote Originally Posted by austinrob View Post
    You are correct AustinRob....no need to put it in a Faraday Cage..

I did so only because I have a number of extra ammo boxes here and need to put the antennas and radios out of the way...and those metal ammo cans also have in them a decent gasket....

Also ...I don't want anyone messing with this gear until it is needed....the ammo cans fit this bill perfectly. As far as I am concerned...this gear..until it is needed ..is "Holy Ground Highlander!!" Only removed for periodic operational checks then put back in the cans..

Thanks,
    Orangetom
    Not an Ishmaelite
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 10-07-2020 at 10:21 AM.

The G5RV is my favorite antenna.

I also carry one of these in my portable HF bag: http://www.earchi.org/proj_homebrew.html Used it for WFD this year... Worked well enough, and a lot easier to manipulate on XC skis than a full length G5RV. Lighter to ski with, as well.

i have no affiliation with these guys. I have both the pre-made and the parts kit, but if you wish they have clear directions on how to make your own.
    Good medicine in bad places

I used to run a lot of different tactical antennas out in the bush. The long wire is pretty good and gives you around 3db gain if you get the angle right. Another sweet antenna is an inverted "V". The balun goes up in the tree and the two legs are anchored by paracord to the ground. If you use a 1:1 balun, and clip the wires to 1/2 wave length and make the angle between the legs around 60 degrees, you can easily get 3db gain on an omni directional antenna. A variation is a combo. The balun goes up in the tree and two legs are anchored to the ground, bracketing the direction you want to transmit. If you separate the ends of the antenna by around 1 wave length and make the legs at least 3 wave lengths long, you have a directional antenna with over 6db gain, no side lobes, and a medium to high takeoff angle which will get you heard in that 500-1000 mile range. I bought a bunch of baluns off military surplus, when they stopped using HF for communications. So, I have no idea what they cost now. I assume wire is still stupid cheap, if you get it by the 1000' spool. There used to be a publication put out by the MARS network Admin that had instructions on how to make a whole bunch of tactical HF antennas.

I have been experimenting with UHF and VHF (2m and 6m) and most of the tactical antennas still work for those guys, except the sizes are FAR smaller.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Crazy Uncle; 10-14-2020 at 01:04 AM.
    "Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then." - Philip K. Dick